Breast Cancer Community
Ruptured Cyst During Mammogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Ruptured Cyst During Mammogram

I had a mammogram this morning and the technician actually ruptured a huge cyst in my left breast ... the cyst was about the size of a small plum.  We actually heard it pop ... it sounded like someone had pulled a cork out of a champange bottle. I was in terrible pain ... can someone tell me what happens with the fluid and will it cause any other problems.  Right now, i am feeling sick with flu like symptoms.  Thank you so very much!
1 Comment
Sorry to know that you have experienced so much pain...but this can happen sometimes even without the mammogram compression on the breast being the cause.If the lump was really a cyst,then I wouldn't worry because the fluid in the cyst is not toxic and the pain will eventually subside.  
However,your doctor should order more tests just to make sure that the lump was a 100% a cyst and not an abscess or something else.
I hope you'll feel better soon...and best wishes to you.