Breast Cancer Expert Forum
SUGAR INTAKE AND BREAST CANCER

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

SUGAR INTAKE AND BREAST CANCER

I HAD BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH BC IN 2003. 3CM TUMOR,8 LYMPH NODES POSITIVE, STAGE 4, HER2 POSITIVE +3. I HAVE HAD 12 TREATMENTS OF TAXOL AND HERCERTIN, 36 RADIATION TREATMENTS, 4 AC AND CYTOXIN TREATMENTS. WAS SUPPOSED TO CONTINUE HERCEPTIN FOR A YEAR BUT STARTED HAVING CIRCULATION PROBLEMS AND DISCONTINUED THE TREATMENT ON ADVICE OF ONCOLOGIST. I AM IN REMISSION RIGHT NOW AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF EATING TOO MUCH SUGAR AND TOO MUCH DIET SODA WILL MAKE MY CANCER COME BACK AND WHAT ARE THE FOODS YOU SHOULD EAT TO KEEP IT FROM COMING BACK. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP IN THE PAST THE INFORMATION ON THIS SITE HAS BEEN INVALUBLE AND EVERYONE SHOULD TRY TO KEEP A POSITIVE NO MATTER WHAT THE DIAGNOSIS IS.
Dear OUT IN THE STICKS:  Though there are lots of books on the subject, published by a variety of "professionals," there is no definitive research that has demonstrated that the avoidance of any specific food prevents cancer recurrence or that eating any specific foods causes recurrence.  Consuming simple sugars could raise insulin levels which, theoretically, may not be good for someone with breast cancer but there are few human studies that clearly address this issue.  One study suggested that a low fat diet may be beneficial for breast cancer survivors. Most dieticians and physicians agree that a good balanced diet, high in fruits and vegetables and relatively low in animal fat is the best approach to eating.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Breast cancer reaccurance was started.
A related discussion, How concerned should I be about nodules in lungs was started.