Breast Cancer Community
SWOLLEN AXILLARY LYMPH NODE?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

SWOLLEN AXILLARY LYMPH NODE?

good day everyone i just had my breast ultrasound last week and was found to have an axillary lymph node measuring 0.60cm x 0.40cm x 0.70cm. i then went to the surgeon and asked if i needed to undergo biopsy but he said that the lymph node is too small for biopsy. he suggested to undergo another ultrasound after six months to monitor the size of the lymph node.

is my lymph node size still within the normal size of lymph node? and is my doctor correct by not performing biopsy with that size of node? thank you very much. God Bless!
When a lymph node becomes swollen, it usually indicates infection or inflammation somewhere in the body.The normal size of a lymph node can range from a couple of millimeters to about a centimeter.(1/2 inch). When there is infection or inflammation somewhere in the body,a lymph node may enlarge,but it doesn't necessarily mean it's something bad.Depending of course on what your doctor deems appropriate he/she may recommend to just monitor the lymph node growth every 3 or 6 months.Your node is very small...less than a 1/4 inch,so I think a biopsy is not necessary for now  and your doctor is right, suggesting to just wait and see if there are any changes after 6 months.The lymph node might even shrink during that time.
Take care...
hi zouzi. thanks for your reply. i'm really worried about this lymph node. good thing it is still within the normal size. hopefully, it will not grow bigger and that everything is normal. though my doctor recommends an ultrasound after 6 mos, im planning to have it after only 3mos.
thank you very much again for taking time to explain my concern. take care always. God bless..