Breast Cancer Community
Saw white spot on mammogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Saw white spot on mammogram

Today I had my first mammogram.  I am 42, have MS and no palpable mass that I notice.  My right breast is slightly bigger than left.  As I was leaving I saw the prints hanging up and on the right one , I think,( it was hanging on the left), I saw this rather large white lit up spot, sort of behind the nipple to the back and close to the skin.  It looked to be kinda of just a jumbled up blob really.  The other picture did not seem to have this.  Needless to say I am writing this because I am sitting here worrying about it.  I have no risk factors that I know of having never smoked, had one child young, my grandmother had bc but was 85 when it was found, slow growing and she did not die of it.  My mother is fine and 75, I don't drink.  I do have uterine fibroids.  Since the weekend is coming I don't want to worry about this till Monday.  What is the white stuff and is this something bad like cancer?  It did not seem to be "formed" but almost like pictures I have seen of lymph nodes with lines around it etc.  Not sure....any response appreciated.
I don't know what you may have seen on your films, but I do know how you feel.  I am 41 and had a routine mammogram 2 weeks ago and was called back for more pictures.  They found microcalcifications, which the radiologist was kind enough to show me and explain to me.  It doesn't sound like that is what you saw from your description.  I have to have a biopsy, but was told not to worry it is probably benign.  That sure is easier said than done.  All I can say is try not to stress too much.  I know on the weekend it is really hard because you won't get a call, but try to stay positive.  My films had all kinds of white tissue blobs, for lack of a better term, and those were all totally normal tissue.....it was these tiny dots that they had to magnify that are the suspicious ones....hang in there.
alicia
thanks alicia.  It helps to know other people have went through this and are alright. I have not had "the phone call" and wonder if it was something bad maybe I would have already heard.  But I dont trust the secretary's too much at the docs office, they might wait till Monday.  
No problem,  I don't know either if the phone call comes quick if it's bad news so to say....Mine came the next day, so I think it does take a priority if anything is questionable.   Just tell yourself all weekend that it's all good and take monday when it gets here.  I am sending you good vibes and your in my prayers.
alicia
Well I bugged and harrassed the doctor's office and the hospital till i got them to fax over my report. The nurse says "all fine".  So all the panic and worry for nothing it seems.  But it makes you realize just how quickly your life could change.  Thank you for the kind words and easing my mind.  My heart goes out to those still waiting.  
That's great news and I am so happy for you!  I am glad you can put your mind at ease now and breathe.  I hope to be able to breathe again soon...lol
It does make me appreciate all that I have so much more.

alicia