Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Secretion from both breasts

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Secretion from both breasts

I am a 20 year old healthy female. I have a lump in the lower region of my right breast. I had noticed a prominent growth of said lump in the last year and a half. In the early summer of this year, I had sharp localized pains in my right breast, around the lump. I had it checked out in late May, got a mammogram and an ultrasound. I was told the lump was fibriocystic and benign. I was told to have it checked out again within 3 months, which would have been in late September. It is now mid December, and my boyfriend of 2 years told me that he noticed white liquid coming from one of my breasts, followed shortly by more leaking from the opposite breast. My breasts have been very sore and very sensitive lately, and the lump seems to have gotten bigger; my period is due soon, but my breasts usually do not secrete white fluid. If any secretion occurs, it is only from my right breast, and that has not happened lately. I had thought I was pregnant, because my boyfriend and I had unproteced sex on Day 3 of my period, which was November 26th of this year. It is now December 20th, and I had taken 3 pregnancy tests last week, all of which confirmed I was not pregnant. Is my breast leakage normal, do women usually lactate or produce milk-like secretions from both of their breasts before their period, or should I go back and get another mammogram?
Dear sspoco, Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple.  The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white.  Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers.  These medications increase prolactin levels in the body.   There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between.

The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it’s spontaneous (comes out by itself without squeezing), keeps on happening, and is only on one side.  If it is clear and sticky, like an egg white, or bloody.  If this is the case you would bring it to the attention of your doctor who could evaluate.  Likewise if the lump if it is changing and of continued concern to you bring this to the attention of your doctor who can evaluate.