Breast Cancer Community
Seeking alternative therapy to radiation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I am 66. Thourgh biopsy a small tumor ( 1.3 cm) was found to be IDC. I test hormone receptor positive, PS positive, and HER.....negative. Surgery to remove this will be soon. I am being pushed for radiation which seems a barbaric way to treat an "if situation". If cells "escape" through biopsy or surgery or already escaped there must be a more gentle way to reduce the chance.  Cancer is a "break down" of the immune system, (correct??) Radiation certainly compromises this system. Building up the system seems the right thing to be doing. What about drugs? I try to stay away from drugs and find homeopathic and natural healing to be for me.

This discussion is related to Any alternatives to radiation???.
-8 Comments
Hi there.

I understand your concern.  If you are to undergo a breast-conservation surgery (meaning they will only remove a portion of the breast and leave the rest behind) then radiotherapy is recommended to decrease the chance of the cancer recurring.  Though radiotherapy has its own side effects (similar to what you have mentioned), it is still ultimately beneficial in that it decreases the chance of recurrence.  A mastectomy (removing the entire breast) on the other hand, will not usually require post-operative radiation, although for a small size of the tumor, this surgery may seem inappropriate (but is still an option).   Since you are ER/PR positive, then you can benefit from oral hormonal treatment such as tamoxifen or aromatase inhibitors.  

Regards and God bless...