Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Severe Pain in Left Armpit

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Severe Pain in Left Armpit
Last night,I was woken up in the middle of the night with a severe pain in my left armpit. It hurt so bad that I had trouble falling back asleep. There is no blemish or mark on the skin, although when I felt around I believe there may be a small lump. Raising my arm, or using it at all causes extreme pain and/or discomfort. Toughing the skin of my underarm causes the same.
I am turning 24 this month and have never experienced anything like this. What are the possibilities? Perhaps I just have a swollen lymph node, and if so, how do I treat it? Thanks.
Dear mimi1585:  Without evaluation, it is impossible to speculate on all the possibilities of what this might be.  Most cancer is not painful.  In the light of day, you may want to re-examine and if you are concerned, have your doctor take a look.