Breast Cancer Community
Sharp Pain in My Left Breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Sharp Pain in My Left Breast

I have a small mass in my left breast, deep under and to the left.  For several months I had periodic sharp pains and eventually made a drs appt.  She sent me for testing and I had an ultrasound done with no negative results.  The staff at the clinic would not do a mamogram (mammogram) because of my age (30) despite my medical history (cervical cancer, 2 years ago, and a cancerous mole removed between my breasts, 10+ years ago)  and family history (numerous types of cancer including breast).  Since having the ultrasound the breast pain has worsened.  I continue to have periodic (couple of times a day) sharp pain and now a constant aching in my breast.  I am avoiding caffine and find myself wearing my bra most of the evening since the lack of support causes a more intense pain.  I am not nessecarily worried I have cancer, but I am concerned about what is causing this constant pain.  Any suggestions?
You say the Ultrasound came back with no neg. results but did you obtain the actual report ? If you have a palpable mass in your breast it surely must have been seen on the ultrasound. Your Dr. can order a mammogram and probably should unless she has given you a definite diagnosis. If your Dr. refuses to order the mammogram then see someone else. Any mass in the breast should be investigated until a diagnosis is made. Was there any mention of a Fibroadenoma or a Cyst ? These are both benign conditions and from what you say you are following the standard treatment for Fibrocystic Breast Condition which may be responsible for your mass as well as the pain associated with it. Such masses or even cysts can be removed surgically if they become terribly bothersome. Over the counter pain medication can also be of some help. I would certainly want a diagnosis and you are entitled to one.  Regards ....
Thank you, I tend to agree.  No, I never saw a report, but one was sent to my dr.  She had said she thought a cyst was quite possible, but as I said oddly enough nothing turned up on the ultrasound.  I am frustrated and will continue to persist, it is however damn near impossible to get into see my dr, once I do though I will be asking that she send me for a mamogram (mammogram), especially with my history.  I'm not willing to just let go... pain aside.
You are entitiled to a copy of the report; I would request one but that's up to you. i see no reason why the order for the mammogram couldn't be handled over the phone. You've been seen in regards to this problem and you are still without a definite diagnosis ... I'm sorry to say so but this is not the best example of "good medical care". Unfortumately we have to fight for adequate care at times .... demand if you must but get an answer.  Good Luck .....