Breast Cancer Community
Sharp Pain under my right breast occasionaly

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

What would cause me to have a sharp intense pain under my right breast? It comes and goes occasionaly.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  There are many possibilities as to what is causing that pain in your right breast area.  These include the following:

1.  You may be experiencing muscle cramps in your pectoralis muscles, which are the muscles located underneath your breasts
2. Your breast may become swollen and painful during the course of your normal menstrual cycle.  Estrogen hormone levels peak around the time of mid-cycle until just before menstruation, and this causes breast tissue to retain more fluid.  So the breasts may feel heavy and painful.
3.  You may have fibrocystic disease, a condition presenting with a breast "lump" which grows or shrinks with the rise and fall of estrogen levels during the menstrual cycle.
4.  You may have an infection/ inflammation of the breast (called "mastitis").

If the symptoms have been around for some time and do not seem to be going away, you may need to consult with a doctor to see what the problem is.
i have the same problem but my location is different. it is above and around my right breast. i am young at the age of 16 but still concerend. my pain is a burning ake and has been going on for about a week, and has made it difficult to eat and sleep, and proced with my daily rutines.