Breast Cancer Community
Sharp stabbing pain in breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Sharp stabbing pain in breast

I have this sharp pain in my left breast almost between breast and armpit. I have had it for a week now, it comes and goes and is especially sharp and painful when i lie on my left side. if my breast moves, it is painful. I am on the pill and have never had children. We have no cancer in the family. I have been on the pill for 7 years and NEVER experienced such discomfort in my breast. It feels like i am being stabbed. Sometimes it is around for a while, sometimes, just for a few seconds. Please help!
There are so many causes of breast pain but it's rarely an indication of breast cancer.Most often the pain is due to hormone levels in the body.
Some women may find relief by using oil of primrose (3 grams a day). Elimination of caffeine, (chocolate,coffee colas) and salt from their diet could be beneficial.
From what you describe, this sharp pain that comes and goes,could also be a muscle strain.
If things don't improve,I would advise you to see your doctor to find out the exact cause.
Best wishes...
Thank you so much for the advice, i actually have a normal in take of Decaf coffee once a day, but as i have low blood pressure, i need to eat salts, but will try keep it to a low. I have already gone out and bought some primrose oil. Thank you once again!
*
  I too have had this pain in the same place only on my right side. I have been being treated for a rotator cuff tear. Stabbing pain, unable to sleep on that side, when I raise my arm my breast hurts also. I funally went for a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound where they found a large solid spiculated mass in my breast. This was last Friday. Saturday the dr called to apologize and blurted out that is was most likely malignant cancer due to size, shape and my description of the pain going into my arm.
   My intent is not to scare you but I have had this for almost 2 months-and I was totally believing I had an arm problem. I  saw on so many sites that most breast cancers are not painful-I am no longer pinning my hopes on that. Also saw that family history isn't present in 80% of cases.  I still have 10 days til my breast surgeon appointment so I am a total head case worrying what they are going to say. I have told no one yet because I am praying so hard it is still something wrong with my arm.
     Don't let them put you off. Better to be an alarmist and make them get to the bottom of it than to keep worrying and not knowing. I hope it is nothing-I wish you the best