Breast Cancer Community
Should I do the mammogram?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Should I do the mammogram?

I am 29 years old. Last Oct. I did the Echo B scan, which said "the left chest shows a 0.4 x 0.3 cm cyst at two oclock, benign finding..." My doctor didn't give me any treatment and just recommended annual mammogram. These days I feel much painful on my left breast and decide to exam them for this year. Yet I heard that mammos are for women over 40, so will there be any harm to my body if I take it? What am I going to do if I keep feeling painful? I am worried about the cyst, will it turn malign? If I plan to be pregnant, will it be affected?

Thank you so much!
1 Comment
First let me say that cysts do not become malignant ... they remain cyst but they can get larger and become more painful during certain times of the menstrual cycle; this is related to the hormone levels in the body. You really wouldn't need to have a Mamogram (mammogram) if you would prefer not to .... an Ultrasound would be a good way to ck. on the cyst. If you were to become pregnant then a Mammogram would be out of the question so an Ultrasound would still be a good choice. Often it is recommended that you cut back on your caffeine intake (coffee, tea, chocolate) which does help somewhat with the discomfort from these cysts. You can also take some over the counter pain medication if your breast is terribly painful; something that you would take for any other type of ache or pain. Regards .....