BREAST CANCER
COMMUNITY
Should lumps always be removed?
by piglet220, Jun 30, 2008
Can pea size lumps in breast be dangerous?   A friend has 3 under her armpit and is going to have them removed this week.

This discussion is related to pea size lump in armpit.
Member Comments (7)
by japdipBlank, Jun 30, 2008
I'm sure your friend has seen a Dr. about these lumps and perhaps also had a mammogram or ultrasound or both. We should always follow the recommendation of whatever type of Physician we consult regarding a particular problem. Lumps such as you describe are certainly not normal and need to be treated in some manner which is usually removal. I'm sure there is a good reason for her surgery; perhaps you haven't been told all the details.
by piglet220, Jul 01, 2008
She has 3 pea size lumps and they are being removed in a surgeon's office, ambulatory.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Dr SantosBlank, Jul 01, 2008
How are you? How is your friend? Are there other symptoms aside from the lumps? Accordingly, 80 to 90% of breast lumps are not cancer. They can be fatty tissues or lipomas,  fibroadenomas, or cancerous lumps, Cancerous lumps are firm to hard masses that do not move when felt and they are often an irregular shape. To be certain that this is not the case,   tissue sampling  or biopsy is done.  

An armpit lump refers to enlargement of one or more lymph nodes in the armpit. It could be cysts and infections on the surface of the skin of the armpit caused by shaving or use of antiperspirants  or abscesses under the skin. Lumps may be produced by lymph nodes enlarged due to bacterial infections, viral infections, vaccinations, and malignancy including the breast.

I hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted.
by japdipBlank, Jul 02, 2008
When your friend's lumps are removed the tissue will be sent to the Pathology Lab and tested to ascertain exactly what they are. She is very wise to have these removed and tested. Nothing that is abnormal should be ignored. Good For Her!
by piglet220, Jul 03, 2008
I am sorry I misunderstood.  The pea-size lumps are in the back of her neck.  She has a soft lump under her armpit.  She went to see a surgeon last night and after he examined her decided he wanted to remove the lump in the hospital.  She is now scheduled to have the lump removed in two weeks at a hospital.  She is not concerned, but I am.
by japdipBlank, Jul 03, 2008
The underarm lump could very well be a lymph node and they can be enlarged for a number of reasons .. I hope she does well and you are a good friend to be concerned. We all need friends like you.
by piglet220, Jul 04, 2008
Thanks for the support!