Breast Cancer Community
Side Effects of TC Chemotherapy Regimen
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Side Effects of TC Chemotherapy Regimen

I am a 65 year old female, Stage IIa, ER+, HER-2--, 3.2 cm, N0, M0.  My Oncotype-DX RS is 22 (14% risk of recurrence in ten years).  My oncologist wants to treat me with the Taxotere/Cyclophosphamide x 4 regimen followed by an AI for 5 years.  He says I will only experience hair thinning, not hair loss.  However, all my research on side effects indicates there will be significant hair loss.  My surgeon says only 10% of patients experience hair loss on this regimen.  Can you shed any light on the discrepancy in what I'm told and what I find in reputable sources on the Web?

In addition,  I am very concerned about the risk and severity of peripheral neuropathy, especially if it continues after the treatment.  What is the percentage of patients who have experienced prolonged or permanent peripheral neuropathy?
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
25201_tn?1255584436
I don't know about that "only 10%" thing. It may be more than that BUT the side effects are documented to be much less than with the A/C chemo regimen. Every pt. reacts somewhat differently to treatment so it's hard to come up with a definite % as to hair loss. The neuropathy is a factor and though not permanent has been known to last for some time after treatment. I have heard some women say that it lasted as long after as the duration of the actual treatment. If you are having serious doubts about the recommendation then by all means get a second opinion but the treatment you mention is the accepted standard and the one with the least/less severe side effects. I wouldn't waste too much time .... delaying treatment is never a wise choice.   Regards .....
Blank
A related discussion, tc hair loss was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank