Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Side effect of head pain and swelling

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Side effect of head pain and swelling

My daughter has finished AC chemo and has had two doses of Taxol so far.  She has been having a very troubling side effect of pain in the back of her head along with some swelling with blotchy skin, and can't focus her eyes very well.  It last for a couple of days but we both feel it is kind of scary.  The first AC did not have this side effect, but that time did not have a nausea drug called Dexamethasone.  Every treatment since then has included the Dexamethasone so we suspect the side effect was caused from this. Her doctor says he has never heard of this particular side effect from either chemo or the nausea drug.  Have you heard of this as a side effect at all?
Dear Justamother, Side effects from Taxol can be; generalized aches and pains, and allergic reactions. Dexamethasone (a steroid) is given to help with a variety of the side effects from the chemotherapy not only nausea, but to help prevent possible allergic-like reaction, as well as ease the aches and pains.  However, dexamethasone does have side effects of its own.  It can cause swelling, usually noted first in face and ankles.  Irritability, on days taken it shouldn
My daughter has just received her 6th Taxol treatment.  We have determined now that the back of the head pain and swelling involved does come from the Dexa....  I wanted to post this note in case anyone else is experiencing the same problem.  During the first few Taxols the swelling extended down to breast level.  Each Taxol has consistently shown less and less of this particular side effect.
A related discussion, head pain was started.