Breast Cancer Community
Significance of location of tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Significance of location of tumor

My research area in M.Phil. thesis is breast cancer. I have read that tumors found in upper region of breast are more prone to be malignant as well as those found in periferal region. I need to know if there is any truth in this.
Here's a little more information I found that you might find helpful: Cancers arise most frequently in the upper and outer hemisphere of the breast than the medial or lower hemisphere. If you divide the breast in four quadrants, the upper outer quadrant has a higher incidence of cancer. The least frequent location of breast cancer is the lower inner quadrant. Another way to describe the location of frequency is to look at the breast like a clock. Breast cancer is more frequent between 12 and 3 of the left breast and between 12 and 9 in the right breast. The distribution of breast cancer is related to the tissue volume of the breast. The breast tissue volume is slightly greater in the left breast than the right, which may account for a slight predominance of cancer in the left breast. The left breast may have as much as 2-3% more tissue volume than the right but not always. Some studies have shown the frequency of breast cancer higher in the right breast.
Source(s):
http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/…
Hope this is helpful to you,
nc
I have seen many charts as a result of various studies regarding the impact of tumor location on Survival Rate but I'm not aware of the relation between tumor location and benign / malignant diagnoses.  Regards ....
Well there charts for that also but none that I could consider reliable.
Thankyou for the reply.
The only thing I found regarding tumor location and malignancy is from the American Cancer  Society: The breast quadrants are not actually all the same size. About half of all breast cancers develop in the upper outer part of the breast, probably because there is more breast tissue in this area. The number of breast cancers in the upper outer part of the breast is in proportion to the amount of breast tissue in that area.
I also saw that more breast cancers are found inthe left vs. the right because in most women with a size difference in their breasts, the left is often larger than the right.
(Absolutely true in my own case!) Again, the more breast tissue the higher the incidence of breast cancer.
I hope you can find more information on this and good luck with your thesis!
nc
Source(s):
Hope this is helpful to you,
nc
Thank you both. The informaion provided was indeed helpful.