Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Small 4 mm red patch

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Small 4 mm red patch

Hi everyone. I'm 18 years old and extremely worried about getting breast cancer--specifically IBC. It's a terrifying disease. I've been checking my breasts whenever I get changed, take a shower, etc. And this morning I found a 4 mm red, slightly raised patch on the lower inner part of my right breast. There is a somewhat similar spot on my abdomen. Is this definitely IBC? At this point, has it spread to other parts of my body and am I close to the end here? Googling my symptom just brings up IBC web sites, so I'm unsure of any other condition that might cause such a result. OTher than that, my breast is not swollen, hot, itchy, painful  or fulfilling any of the other symptoms of IBC. But I've read that you may only have one and by the time it's physically noticeable, it's basically a death sentence. Please respond if you have the time.
Dear peach26:  Skin on the breast is like skin anywhere else on the body and is subject to a variety of abnormalities.  Inflammatory breast cancer is a rare form of breast cancer that usually presents as a hot, swollen, red and inflamed breast.  As you have a similar spot on your abdomen, it is more likely to be another type of skin abnormality.  You could see your doctor or a dermatologist for evaluation.
The skin on your breast is like skin everywhere else on your body don't jump to conclusions without seeing a doctor.  The fact that it looks the same as another place probably means it is a skin issue, perhaps see a dermatologist first.  If you are concerned still you can see a breast specialist.  Keep in mind breast cancer does not necessary present itself with the list of items you mentioned:  swollen, hot, itchy, painful, etc.  Sometimes you feel nothing and notice nothing and it is just detected on a mammogram.  And on the very outside chance this is breast cancer most women survive breast cancer and live full lives as long as they get it treated quickly and follow doctor recommendations.  At age 18 live your life and don't worry so much about things you can't control, if issues present themselves like this see a doctor first then worry only if you need to.
Hi about the spring of last year the medi sold me a bra and prothesis,2 big I had pain every time I took my bra off in the evening. Then I noticed a bruised area and thought it was from it so I bought new bras and it still hurt so I pulled the wires out but the spot stay and is pinkish just under the bra band at the top.I had cancer in 2002 and my left breast is gone.My doctor retired and a new one said it was yeast infection but the cream didn't help. so I had to go to my skin specialist and she looked at it and took a biopsy but could anyone tell me is this possibly the way cancer shows up.tell me but dont !!!!
my cancer was a stag 1 no lymph nodes no radiation or chemo
scared2007
I also have just found a nickle size slightly raised red (light red) spot on my breast. My mother had breast cancer twice so I'm very suspisious of anything unusual. I saw my Dr. today and she is sending me to a dermatologist for a biopsy. Does anyone know anything about what else this could be besides cancer? I've been reading about IBC. There is no itching or pain. Will a skin biopsy show if it is cancer or should I ask for a mammo and/or ultrasound if the biopsy is negative? There doesn't seem to be a mass so don't know if mammo would show anything either.