Breast Cancer Community
Small Complex Breast Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Small Complex Breast Cyst

Hi, my wife went for a needle aspiration of a complex breast cyst today, however, the doctor was unable to actually aspirate the breast cyst. The complex cyst was very small, maybe 3 mm and round. She told my wife that the reason they wanted it examined was the color, not the shape or size. As I said it was round and very small.
I wonder if its small size made it more difficult to aspirate? The doctor was eventually able to remove the entire cyst and did verify that it is a complex cyst with solid parts as well as a little darkish fluid in the center. It has been sent off for biopsy but we will not know for a couple of days. I don't know if this is good or bad but we are anxious about getting the results. Wonder if you can provide your opinion based on this data.
Hi and welcome to our community,

Simple cysts  are fluid-filled sacks, and by definition are benign.

Complex cysts also fluid-filled, but have solid structures (walls or septations) within the cyst. They can be more difficult to aspirate, since areas of fluid may be separated into compartments.  If there is concern, a complex cyst can be removed surgically. A complex cyst should be biopsied because it is sometimes cancer, but usually not.

Your wife's doctor is  being appropriately cautious. The wait for the pathologist's report is always difficult, but it is the only way to know for sure.

Please let us know what you find out, by adding an additional post to this same thread.

Best wishes to you and your wife, for a benign result!

Regards,
bluebutterfly
Hi again,

I just noticed that you have posted about your wife's problem before and have received answers from other people:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/Complicated-Cyst/show/1409884?personal_page_id=1914129#post_6429077

We prefer that people keep all of their related posts in one thread, so all of your information will be available in one place; we will be able to see the answers you have already been given, so we do not to duplicate our efforts; and so that readers interested in a particular thread will know when you have discussed additional developments.

Please add any addition posts to this thread. Thanks!

Meanwhile, I hope you both are handling the wait for results as well as can be expected, and will let us know how things turn out.

Regards,
bb