BREAST CANCER
FORUM
Solid Nodules - should I be scared?
by miss22, Apr 03, 2003
I'm still pretty young and I just found out from the doctor that I have a solid nodule in my breast. I don't go until tomorrow morning to talk to him. But I did have an aunt that had cancer (and died of it). Now I'm actually pretty nervous, should I be?
Answer:
by CCF-RN,MSN-rf, Apr 03, 2003
Dear miss22:  I am guessing that this was discovered by mammography and/or ultrasound.  If this is the case, a solid nodule needs to be evaluated.  It doesn't mean that it is cancer, necessarily.  However, a biopsy may be recommended.
Member Comments (21)
by miss22, Apr 03, 2003
I did get an ultrasound done two days ago.  I'm figuring I will have to get a biposy done. What are the chances of this being cancer?
by surgeon, Apr 03, 2003
the chances depend on lots of things; your age, and more detail about what the nodule actually looks like. Even then, numbers are meaningful only when talking about groups of people, not an individual. So unfortuntately no one can give you meaningful odds online. A biopsy will give a definite answer. Your doctor, who knows more detail, might be able to give you a bit of an idea ahead of time.
by yt, Apr 04, 2003
hi,
I am 34 and found a lump on my left breast last week. I called my Gyn, she thought it was only a fibrocyst but to be sure she scheduled an ultrasound (only). It turned out that they found something else. So on the same day they told me I needed to have a mammogram done also. After first set of mammogram, they said they needed to take a couple more, then the radiologist asked me if I ever injured my breast, family history of breast cancer, etc.  I knew something was not right. In the end, the doctor told me "I can't tell what it is" and my Gyn said that he's "suspicious of breast cancer." I am scheduled for biopsy on monday. I am very scared and emotionally drained right now and don't know what to think or who to talk to. The only words in my mind is only "suspicious of cancer"
What kind of things did he see when he said "I can't tell" or "suspicious of cancer" Does that mean that he thinks it's cancer but he wants to make sure with the biopsy? or he really "can't tell"? Also, he didn't tell me what he found in the mammogram result nor explain anything else but 'I can't tell so we are going to do a biopsy' Is this normal? thanks much.
by SnowWoman, Apr 04, 2003
You should get a copy of the radiology report.  It probably won't answer all of your questions but will at least give you more specific information.  I'm impressed with the turn around time you're getting from folks there to have a biopsy planned already for Monday.  I started with a questionable mammogram the end of January finally got a radiolory report with suspicious findings March 6 and am still waiting (until next Tuesday) to get in for my biopsy.  Ask lots of questions -- you have the right to know what's going on.
by Fonthill, Apr 04, 2003
Wow, there is too much of these "suspicios" lumps.  I too had a lump and had an ultrasound done and then a mamm. both reports came back stating fibroadenoma (a fat deposit).  Have they suggested this to you?  I am wondering if I should have it biopsy done on it.  My doctor says not to worry and forget about it since two radiologists have dio. it to be a fibradenoma.  Why are they telling you to bio it, because of the "suspcision"?...will this not lead to scar tissue that will be hard to read through on your next mamm.  I am only 35 also.  We are too young to be put through such stress!
by Fonthill, Apr 04, 2003
by wailan, Apr 04, 2003
    I am 31 and found a lump in my left breast I had a mammogram and ultrasound and the dr. looked at the lump on the ultra sound and said oh yes that is a lump but he called it something I think a fatty deposit and said your ok . I never had a biopsy and I stil feel the lump it feels kindof hard and its still making me nervous should I worry?  My breast area also feels tender. BW
by SnowWoman, Apr 04, 2003
There is a lot they can tell from the mammogram and ultrasound but rarely a certainty about whether there is cancer.  There are characteristics which lead them to believe one way or another.  If you trust your Dr., rest easy but be sure to monitor any lumps and follow up to see if there are any changes.  If you don't feel good about it, get a second opinion or insist on a biopsy.  In my case, due to the characteristics seen on the mammogram and ultrasound there is concern about cancer so I'm doing the biopsy.

When I was in my mid-20's (20 years ago) I found a lump, had a mammogram and lumpectomy (recommended by Dr.) even though he said he was 95% sure it was only fibrocystic changes.  The surgery caused a lot of scar tissue and I ended up having a second surgery 1.5 years later and to remove a quarter section of my breast and the scar tissue.  I was young and ignorant and we didn't have the internet or great resources like this for information back then.  Otherwise I probably would not have had the original sugery.  When I went to a breast clinic a year or two later they told me not to go back to that Dr.