Breast Cancer Community
Sore breasts after a hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Sore breasts after a hysterectomy

I am 41 and had a hysterectomy (partial) about 4 years ago.  I had a mamo at 40 and i had to go back and re-take however at the end of it all i was cleared.  Recently (last 2 months or so) i have been having extreme pain in my right breast.  The pain is on the right side of the breast - nearer my arm pit.  It is the type of pain that wakes me from my sleep if i sleep on my right hand side.  I should mention here that i am not lying on it - i am just putting all my weight on the right side of my body causeing my breast to lay over to the right.  I have made an appointment and can not get into the doctors office till the 2nd of Jan.  Must say - i am very nervous.  
Breast pain can be caused due to various causes. It can be caused due to infection - mastitis or breast abscess, inflammation - trauma to the site or muscle pull etc, or due to hormonal fluctuations as seen during menstrual cycle or OCP or HRT use.
Are you on HRT after your hysterectomy.
The confirmed diagnosis needs a clinical examination.
Before you get to see your doctor you could try some OTC pain relief medication, some analgesic gel or cream for local application. Wearing lose clothes including a sports bra should help and also try warm compresses. You can continue it if you get some relief.
Also try some breast massage and breast exercises.
This should help you till you get to see the doctor.
Do not worry, the chances of this being cancerous are minimal. Breast cancer usually presents as a lump, or nipple discharge or skin changes, but ofcourse a clinical examination is required to be sure.
Hope this helps .
Good luck.
Thank you very much.  This puts my mind at ease until i can make it to the doctor on the 2nd.  I will give your reccomendations a shot.  I still have my ovaries - so there is no HRT involved.  

Thank you!
You are most welcome.
Do keep us posted on how your appointment with the doctor go.
Good luck.
i  am experiencing the same thing and i had a hyterectomy aug. 07    and i have also been to the doctor three times and had a mamo and sono and he said it showed nothing   it is hard to not think about because it hurts so much and i also wake up if i roll over in my sleep and when i tie shoes it feels like a golf ball is in the way of bending over    i dont know what to do next  please let me know what you find out today    my name is stephanie and my email is ***@****
thanks
You could discuss with your doctor the option of getting an MRI done.
Also ask him to prescribe some pain relief medication and see if they help.
Try warm compresses, breast massage and breast exercises - they should help decrease the pain.
You need to carry on regular breast examinations and discuss all your symptoms in detail with your doctor.
These should not be neglected, especially as they are causing so much problem to you.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Hi I had a partial hysterecomy in Feb 08. I have experienced soreness in both breasts on occasion and have convinced myself it's probably related to going through the effects of when I would be having my period, but soreness usually goes away aftrer a few days and they have been sore long enough that I am no writting this letter for any advice. I could call my doctor but I feel like I am being a pest.
Thank you
Priscilla
I had a hysterectomy August 2007.  I experience sore breasts, mostly on my right side.  Mostly it is my nipple and surrounding area that is really sensitve.  This only happens now and again.  It hurts!!!