Breast Cancer Community
Sore left breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Sore left breast

Hi.

I woke up this morning with a sore left breast. It felt like it was bruised and it hasn't gone away all day. There is a slight lump there but it doesn't look bruised. Should I be worried? I'm hoping that this will be better tomorrow. I should just get it checked out anyway, right?
  • New lump (3 replies):
    November last year a lump was discovered on my left brea...[more]
  • Papable Lump (2 replies):
    Hi! My name is Sarah and I'm 28 years old. I recently ha...[more]
  • painful breast lumps (5 replies):
    Hi! Last year, about after Christmas, I found a breast l...[more]
  • lump (1 replies):
    i had a ultrasound done on my left breast b/c of a lump ...[more]
  • breat lump (3 replies):
    hello I am 18 years old and last month I felt a lump in...[more]
You don't say if the lump is on the breast  itself,or inside your breast.
If it's inside your breast,it could be a cyst,since cysts can at times be quite painful.But of course you need to make sure of that, by having your doctor evaluate it
If, on the other hand the lump is on your breast,then it could be an infection, perhaps a furuncle (boil).Apply warm compresses and see if it drains on it's own.However,if it doesn't get better in a week or two,you should let your doctor have a look at it so he/she can treat it.
I don't think that it's something serious,because when pain is involved,it rarely indicates breast cancer...Nevertheless I think it's better to have this lump checked out,just to make sure it's harmless and to be on the safe side.
Take care and best wishes...
The lump is inside the breast. So, it could be a cyst? What does that mean? Do they go away on their own or do they need to be removed?
Hi again,
When you'll see your doctor,he/she will probably order a Mammogram or an Ultrasound to find out if the lump is in fact a cyst (Fluid filled sac) or other benign finding.
Keep in mind that a high percentage of lumps found in the breast are not harmful.
I cannot say for sure,over the internet that this lump is a cyst.But if the test report states that it's indeed a cyst,you shouldn't be alarmed since these kind of harmless lumps are very common,and they do not turn into cancer.These cysts are hormone related and tend to increase in size before the menstrual cycle and subside when the menses are over.Some cyst do disappear on their own, but some don't.If they don't cause too much problems,like increase in size or become too painful,they are usually left alone,otherwise a fine needle aspiration can be performed to draw the fluid out and alleviate the pain.
Try to eliminate your caffeine intake (Coffee,chocolate,colas) to lessen the pain and it could even help shrink the cyst.Also limiting your salt intake could help.
Please do make an appointment to see your doctor because a lump in the breast should always be evaluated to make sure that all is fine.
All the best to you...

Thanks for your advice. I went to see the doctor yesterday and she did an examination and said that, because it is tender, it shouldn't be cancerous. She made an appointment for an ultrasound on Monday, so we'll find out then what it is.

But for now, I've noticed that the lump has shrunk a little and is not as tender as it has been in the last couple of days. Though, I will still have that ultrasound on Monday anyway because I want to be sure of what it is and get it treated immediately.

I feel a lot better today and feel more at ease.

Thanks for your advice and support! :)

Hi again,
You welcome and thanks for the update.
I am glad to know that also your doctor thinks that the lump could be a cyst.
Feeling the lump getting smaller is also a very good sign and I sure hope that the ultrasound will confirm that there is nothing to worry about.
Please let us know how things are proceeding.
Best wishes and good luck!  :)