Breast Cancer Community
Spiculated breast mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Spiculated breast mass

How strong is the association between a spiculated mass discovered during a mammogram and cancer?  How often are such masses nonmalignant?

This discussion is related to Spiculated mass.
What was the BIRADS score on your mammogram? A spiculated shape is a big red flag for possible malignancy, and will usually get you a BiRADS 4 or 5, which typically comes with a recommendation for biopsy. That said, it is not a sure thing that a spiculated form will be malignant. I had a very spiculated lesion, got a BIRADS 5, and it turned out to be late stage fat necrosis.
The statistical possibility for a BIRADS 5 being malignant is over 90%.
The differential diagnosis for a spiculated mass visible on mammogram includes malignancy, post-surgical scar, radial scar, hematoma, or past trauma to the breast.
Only a biopsy can tell if a mass is benign or malignant. As the previous poster stated, a spiculated mass can be a variety of things. One can't speculate as to the nature of any mass on appearance alone.  Regards ..
One of the things they will usually ask you when they see this shape, is whether you have had surgery or a biopsy or an injury to that location. As mentioned above, scarring from surgery, or trauma to the breast, can produce the spiculated shape. Fat necrosis, typically caused by trauma to the breast, often presents as a spiculated mass in its late stage, but somewhere around 50% of women with fat necrosis can't recall a trauma to the breast.
I am only one person. My spiculated mass did turn out to be cancer. Spiculated is a red flag. Further diagnosis is necessry. I read someone that spiculated was used by radiologist when they suspected cancer. One bit of information thta I feel is not fully researched is tubular. People generally think of tubular as in the tubes.. It actually refers to  the shape of the cancer cells. Tubular is not as aggressive and not as likely to mastastcize to the lymph nodes. I believe a lot of research needs to be done in that area. I am not sure I would have been so quick to agree to my to mastectomy if I had  been explained about  tubulvr. vs other types of cancers. It was called invasive ductal.. subset tubular. The tumors were smaller when the final psthology  report came in. One could not be found at all. Therefore, I did not need chemo or radiation. So far, I can not afford the reconstruction. My Mega Life Insurance only paid two thousand on my mastectomy because it was considered outpatient.  My husband left because he could not handle it... aftet thirty years. Cancer has been my worst enemy thus far. I have to keep changing my  battle plans. If I could just relax and heal and not have to worry about the best treatment and how to pay for it. At a time in my life when relaxing might just be the best medicine. I have to stay keyed up and on top of it every day.I have to be selfish.I have to no give up and hope my good happy mood returns.  My advice is to trust your brain, do your own research, ask everyone for their advice and make your own decisions. I tried the cancer diet and some herbs.. Maybe that is why the tumors were smaller and one was gone. I watched comedy on tv. I exercised  and I started taking Zanex as needed. I am not a druggy but I needed help. I still take one about three times a week. I had my surgery done on Dec. 20.  I was a mayor of my town, and very engaged in my life.  I am having trouble adjusting to one boob and no marriage, new town, no job.. Talking on this site and trying to help others helps me too. I am also  a registered nurse with a psychiatric speciality. I am in NC and bracing for several hurricaines.. so  I will be busy for a few days. I actually welcome the distraction.. Go McCain and Palin.
I had a mammogram that diagnosed architectural distortion.  An ultrasound revealed a 1.5 cm spiculated mass. A biopsy confirmed it to be benign calcifications.
A biopsy is the only true answer.