Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Spontaneous Nipple Discharge - Persistent and More Frequent Now

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Hello:

Approx one year ago I began having clear discharge from my left breast/nipple ... completely spontaneous (I am not even able to express it myself) and was infrequent (once every few weeks).  Since that time, the occurrences have slowly become more frequent and by this time are happening approx. once a day or once every other day.  Mostly I feel the brief sensation of wetness and see the small spot on my shirt or in my bra. The discharge has not been staining my clothes.  We also found a small pea sized lump at the same time (approx 1 year ago) which ultrasound proved to be a harmless cyst.

**It may be important to know that 6mos before the left sided discharge began, I had bleeding from my right nipple which ultimately resulted in a ductogram and excisional biopsy showing that I had ductal ectasia ... surgery both diagnosed and solved the problem.  No issues on right side since that time.

In light of the increase from "occasional" (which was maybe once every few weeks) to almost daily, I am a bit concerned.
I have made an appt to see the breast surgeon in a few weeks.  What can I expect?  This is probably a ductal issue however is this something that they would just "let go" since it is not bloody or should it be further investigated?  If so, how? Is my concern warranted ?  

Thanks for your help/time.

Dear OhNelly2:  Nipple discharge is not uncommon.  It generally requires further investigation when it is spontaneous, unilateral (on one side only), and is bloody or clear and sticky (like an egg white).  This does not mean cancer, it simply means further investigation.  Depending on the discharge (and whether any could be expressed), there are a variety of procedures that could be done.  The breast surgeon who examines you will be best equipped to make the specific recommendation.