Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Spot found on mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Spot found on mammogram

I had a mammogram done in June and received a call in August to have my mammogram re-done due to a spot that appeared. They should me the original mammogram taken in June and compared it with the one taken in August.  It was quite clear there was a large spot on the one taken in June but compared to the one taken in August the spot appeared to have faded.  They took 6 mammograms at different angles just to make sure but the other angles showed nothing.  It was then compared to the one taken last year in June and there was no spot there.  I was told the spot in June should not be of any threat but does that does not put me at ease.  I will be seeing the surgeon in two weeks at my request and have another mammogram done in 6 months.  My question is, what would cause something like that to show up on a mammogram and almost gone in 2 months?
Avatar n tn
Dear nj:  Sometimes tissue can fold over on itself and later, during spot compression, it disappears completely.  Believe it or not, this is common and most generally is nothing to worry about.