Breast Cancer Community
Stage 1, ER+, PR+, HER2+, negative lymph nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I am 49 years old, I have breast cancer Stage I, ER+ PR+ HER2+, negative lymph nodes.  I had a lumpectomy done and was told that I only needed radiation and hormonal therapy. Now we just moved and the new dr. thinks I should also have chemotherapy.  I am not sure how I feel about it, because, from my understanding, it will not decrease the recurrence rates significantly.  Am I wrong about it?
HER2 positive means this is a more aggressive form that needs to be treated with aggressive treatment. Please research HER2 positive for your own best course of action.

Best wishes.
HER2 is a gene that sends control signals to your cells, telling them to grow, divide, and make repairs. A healthy breast cell has 2 copies of the HER2 gene. Some kinds of breast cancer get started when a breast cell has more than 2 copies of that gene, and those copies start over-producing the HER2 protein. As a result, the affected cells grow and divide much too quickly. If your breast cancer is tested for HER2 status, the results will be graded as positive or negative. If your results are graded as HER2 positive, that means that your HER2 genes are over-producing the HER2 protein, and that those cells are growing rapidly and creating the cancer. If your results are graded HER2 negative, then the HER2 protein is not causing the cancer. Herceptin (trastuzumab) is a drug which is currently being used to treat HER2 positive breast cancer. It is a targeted therapy, and is also referred to as an immune treatment. This drug will be given intravenously, once every 2-3 weeks. Once it is in your system, Herceptin targets the HER2 protein production. This helps to stop the growth of the HER2 positive cancer cells.

What can Herceptin do for HER2 positive breast cancer?:

Some results of Herceptin treatment include: •shrinks HER2 positive tumors, before surgery
•gets rid of HER2 positive cancer cells that have spread beyond the original tumor
•helps prevent recurrence (return) of the HER2 positive cancer if it was a 2 cm. or larger tumor, or if the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes.

What are the tests for HER2 breast cancer?:

•IHC: ImmunoHistoChemistry - this test measures the production of the HER2 protein by the tumor. The test results are ranked as 0, 1+, 2+, or 3+. If the results are 3+, your cancer is HER2-positive.

•FISH: Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization - this test uses fluorescent probes to look at the number of HER2 gene copies in a tumor cell. If there are more than 2 copies of the HER2 gene, then the cancer is HER2 positive

HER2 positive breast cancer is diagnosed by the IHC or FISH test. A result of HER 2 positive is important, as it indicates that the cancer can be treated with Herceptin, in combination with other chemotherapy drugs.

If your cancer is diagnosed as HER2 positive, it is most likely aggressive. Starting treatment as soon as possible will help improve your survival, as well as help to prevent recurrence.