Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Stage 1, Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

My mom has IDC, Stage 1, Grade 3, ER and PR postive, HER2 negative, no lymph node involvement. A lumpectomy with sentinel node biopsy was performed to remove the 1.8cm tumor and clear margins were obtained.  

Doctors recommend chemotherapy but do not insist upon it.  How do we evaluate this type of response to make a decision one way or the other?  Hormone therapy and radiation will be part of the treatment as well. Also, what should be done going forward in terms of scans, tests, blood tests etc. to make sure it hasn't come back?  

Dear RBP:  Without evaluation, we cannot make specific medical recommendations.  Your mother
It may be useful for your mother to get an oncotype DX test done on the tumor.  This would give her the statistical probability for a re-occurrence over the next 10 years.  Many oncologists are using this to determine who needs chemo and who benefits from just hormone therapy.  Good luck!

This all sounds too familiar. Oncologists leave such imporatant decisions to patients. the quidelines for factoring oncotype in the treatment vary. My tumor sz was large but my oncotype came out zero that menas i have 3% reccurence chance. My oncologist was read y to start me on Armidex and skip chemo. When I tolld him my scond and third opinion guys are saying I need chemo then he said i will give you chemo if you want it. What kind of answer is that.  I am i kid in the candi store trying to make the decsion?

I think each hospital havs their own standards, If you were in some of the hospitals I went, 1.8 cm tumor, er/pr pos, her-ve no angiolypmhatic invasion, you would be home free if your ono score came out to be low (<18). I would definitely persue it. It takes 6 to 8 week. Meanwhile I'd aske my onco if you caould start hormone thrapy, so that you are doing something. Good luck