Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Stereostatic Biopsy vs Needle Core Biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I would like to know the difference between a Stereostatic Biopsy
and a Needle Core Biopsy, if there is one.
and what each procedure entails.  If there is a difference--
why would one be preferred to the other?
Dear Lilac:  Depending on the technique used, these could be referring to similar procedures.  Stereotactic biopsy refers to a needle biopsy using mammography to locate the area of concern and getting the sample with guidance under mammography.  This procedure is done on "spots" that cannot be felt.  A needle biopsy that is not done stereotactically, refers to a biopsy that is done with a needle.  This procedure can only be done if the "spot" can be felt.  Both procedures get a sample of tissue in the core of the needle.  Neither is preferred over the other since they are for two different scenarios.
I want to thank you for your prompt response. However, I do not
feel my question was answered in the detail I would have liked.
In one procedure the patient is lying on her stomach with the
breast dropped through an opening wherein the needle jots up to
remove the sample tissue; This you say is done with the guidance of a mammogram. (steostatic procedure?)
The other I believe is the needle core biopsy which is done with the guidance of the ultra sound plus mammograms.

Is the breast annestized in both procedures? Is the patient
given a chin support with the stereostatic procedure?

It is still not clear to me.
Hi!
   I recently had a core biopsy guided by ultrasound.  Only the area where the needle was inserted was numbed by lidocaine (it's like novacaine you receive at a dentist office).  A radiologist performed my biopsy.  She said the reason I couldn't be 'put to sleep' is that for this procedure you have to be an active participant (when she took samples with the core needle, she would tell me to hold my breath for a few seconds).
   Before my biopsy, I had many questions also.  I found the following site very helpful 'www.breastbiopsy.com'
   If you would like Dr. Wobeck to respond to your 2nd post, you may have to post it as a separate topic.
    Good Luck to you...I hope your biopsy comes back BENIGN!!!  
A related discussion, stereotactic breast biopsy feeling of electric shock was started.