Breast Cancer Community
Stereotactic biopsy of calcification

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Stereotactic biopsy of calcification

I am 51 with no history of breast cancer in my family. My annual mammograms have always been normal, but this time they saw a cluster of micro calcifications. The report says "there are scattered fibroglandular elements in the right breast......new heterogeneous calcifications in the upper outer quadrant for which stereotactic biopsy is recommended. There are also punctuate calcifications just posterior to this area. Impression: suspicious of malignancy." What % of these types of calcifications are malignant? I have met with a reputable breast surgeon who is following this.

My father had colon cancer and died of pancreatic cancer. Is there any connection between these cancers and breast cancer? When I was in my 30's they removed a large and a small colon polyp, that they indicated were pre-cancerous. I have continued to have colonoscopies regularly and only 2 other times did they find poyps, however they were small and not pre-cancerous.

I have also read on the internet about the stereotactic biopsy, so I understand what is involved. I am scheduled for the biopsy this Friday. How will I feel after? I am supposed to get on a plane on Christmas day to fly to Florida. How will I feel that week preparing for my trip?  Will I hear the results by Wed., they say 3-5 business days?
I have the same thing... also in my right breast.
Statistically, microcalcifications, in themselves, are rarely if ever, cancerous. But, they're appearance is considered to be an abnormality, perhaps, indicative that something within the surrounding breast tissue is triggering their growth. So, when
they do appear... especially in clusters, that's when they're thought of as being suspicious... and that's when biopsies are recommended.
As for your family's Cancer history and your own experience with the polyps, I doubt that there's any connection with that and the calcifications.
As for the stereotatic (needle) biopsy, I personally found it to be virtually painless and non-invasive... in fact, had I known how non-invasive it would be, I would have driven myself to the procedure. Anyway, mine was performed in the radiological facility where I go for my routine annual mammograms. A local anesthetic was administered. I was then laid face down on a table that had an opening in which the breast was suspended. A needle probe was inserted and the sample(s) were taken. Then a titanium microscopic chip was inserted in the site of the biopsy (that chip stays in permanently... and serves as a marker for future diagnostic referencing).
My breast was swollen and sore for a few days. It was suggested that I take extra-strength Tylenol for pain management; but, I never needed it. I found that ice packs worked best for the discomfort and to reduce the swelling. As for recovery, I was out and about 2 days after the procedure... I was told to avoid both heavy lifting and going into hot tubs for a couple of weeks. The healing process was fairly quick... and, I was left with a barely noticeable dimple-like scar. Pathology results are usually available within the time frame that you were told... but, sometimes there are slight delays; so, allow for that. As for air travel, I don't see a problem with that... but, you may want to mention it to the doctor who preforms the biopsy. And, you may want to travel light or have someone carry your heavy luggage for you. Good luck with your procedure. And, I hope that your pathology report returns with favorable results... oh, and, enjoy your stay in Florida.    
Thank you so much. Did your biopsy turn out OK? I hope so. Regarding the hot tubs, I thought you had to stay out of a tub for just 3 days, not 3 weeks. I was hoping to go in a hot tub when in Florida, not the first few days but maybe 12 days after the biopsy. Is that enough time.
hi... actually I had to be biopsied twice on the same breast, within a 3 year period, because of the microcalcifications, the pathology report of both biopsies returned benign. As for the use of the hot tub, if the wound is healed by that time... go for it!