Breast Cancer Community
Strange Nipple Behavior

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Strange Nipple Behavior

Hello, I am an 18 year old male college student. I have never had any medical problems in the past. A few months back I took up smoking, but stopped recently (Total run time of about 2 months) and I weight lift daily.

Recently I noticed that when my left nipple got cold; not only would the center part be erect, but also a small region adjacent to the center part. My nipple started to become very itchy, scaly, and generally irritated. I scratched at it occasionally until it started to hurt. Now, because I have heard that friction against clothing might cause some of this, I have began wearing a band-aid over the nipple at all times. It has been about 3 weeks and the nipple has not healed up. Now it is constantly secreting a brownish/yellowish sticky substance constantly. At the end of the day I have to change the old band-aid out with a fresh one as the old one becomes drenched in this oily liquid.
And just recently my other nipple is starting to head in the same direction. A small area adjacent to the center becomes erect as well when the nipple is cold.

I'm not sure what exactly all of this means and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks :)
Nipples most always become erect in the cold. You may well have caused some irritation by scratching the area. I would suggest that you see your Dr. who can actualy "see' what's going on and perhaps prescribe some medication for this continued irritation.  Nipple discharge isn't usually a cause for concern but you can ask the Dr. about that too.   You're welcome  :-)
When I was 24 I noticed that if I pressed my right nipple between my fingers about drops of clear fluid popped out of the tip. No problem with my left nipple. I ended up having my right breast removed, and it did contain a precancerous growth. So now I have only one nipple, but that beats having cancer. You should see your doctor.
A related discussion, what causes males to have nipple pain? was started.