Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Strange lump

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Strange lump

I found a rather strange lump in my chest last night. It isn't in my breasts, but rather right between them, sort of on my breast bone. I don't remember it ever being there before, but now I'm not sure what to do about it. It's hard and really doesn't hurt much, just a little sore from my pressing on it. It almost feels like it is the bone. How is the chest supposed to feel and/or look? I can feel the "indentation" of my breast bone, but this seems to be right below it. Some reassurance on normal chest anatomy would be helpful.
Dear Mike31, It's difficult to say what you are feeling without actually seeing and feeling it.  Here is a link to a website page with a picture of the ribcage.  This might help to picture what is beneath the skin.  The weppage address is: http://www.mythos.com/webmd/Content.aspx?P=RIBSK1.

If you are concerned about this lump have your doctor check it out, they can let you know if what you are feeling is a normal part of the anatomy or something that requires further evaluation.
the breastbone makes a bit of a turn below the notch at the top: it's called the "angle of Louis." Sounds like that may be what you are talking about. It's normal. But the only way to be sure is to have it checked.
I noticed the same thing below my breastbone just as you described.  I have a doctor's appointment in a few days but am interested in learning what you found out if anything.
Would also be interested in the outcome.  My husband has a quite large 4cm diameter round hard lump in the centre of his chest as you describe.  You can't see it unless he breathes in and then it is quite obvious.  He won't go to the doctor and I'm really worried about it.
I too have discovered a hard lump in the area of my breastbone.  Has anyone found any information about this?  I feel it is something I have developed with age (I'm 40).  Can it be something I should worry about?  Thanks