Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Subcutanteous mastectomy for treatment of breast cancer
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Subcutanteous mastectomy for treatment of breast cancer

I am 41 years old and have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Mammogram picked up a very small area of microcalcifications.  This area is no where near the nipple. It's mid lower.  I underwent a steritactically guided biopsy with pathology report showing a very small area of intraductal carcinoma and even smaller area of invasive carcinoma.  

I have a very strong family history of breast cancer...2 paternal aunts died (one at 35, the other in her 50's), another in her 60's is in remission, and my maternal grandmother died at 51, as well as her sister.  

I would like to undergo bilateral sucutaneous mastectomies with implants for treatment for the existing cancer, as well as a prophylactic reasons on the other breast.  

My question is, will this eliminate radiation on the breast with cancer? What are my chances of developing breast cancer in that breast again after subcutanoues mastectomy if the nipples were spared? How often is subcutanous mastectomy performed and successful for the treatment of cancer?    

I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon who also works with a general surgeon to talk this over but am being pressured to just undergo the lumpectomy with radiation now and then have reconstruction surgey later.  What is your advice?   Thanks!!