Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Suspected Fibroadenoma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Suspected Fibroadenoma

I recently went for a six month follow up mammo of my right breast. They found calcifications the first time and wanted to watch it. Today I went for an ultrasound b/c the mammo results came back abnormal. For some reason my doctor ordered both breasts be sonogrammed (even though I didn't have a f/u mammo of the left). The right breast came back fine, the radiologist said what showed up on the mammo looks like a bunch of little cysts. But the left breast they saw something solid. He said that he thinks it could be a fibroadenoma, but since I was sonogrammed six months ago and it wasn't there he is suggesting to my breast specialist that I get a needly biopsy.

My question is: Aren't fibroadenomas clearly diagnosed with ultrasound? Is it standard procedure to have to have a needle biopsy? Needless to say, even though I have had fibroadenomas before, I am still very worried.

Any help?
Dear tanitha, A fibroadenoma is a benign (non-cancerous) growth. Fibrooadenomas are distinct on a mammogram or ultrasound and when aspirated - no fluid comes out. As long as the doctor is sure it is a fibroadenoma, there is no need to remove the lump. In 50% of the cases fibroadenomas will go away on their own within 5 years. In others, the life of a fibroadenoma is about 15 years. In teenagers - the tendency is not to remove fibroadenomas. In middle age women, the tendency is to remove the fibroadenomas to be sure they are, in fact, fibroadenomas.  So depending on the individual situation, putting the findings in context, a suspected fibroadenoma might be biopsied to be sure of what it is. An ultrasound cannot always make a diagnosis of fibroadenoma with certainty.

1 Comment
A related discussion, breast lump was started.
A related discussion, fibroadenoma was started.
A related discussion, Large bruise & lump in breast after breast biopsy was started.