Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Suspicious Abnormality on Mammogram

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Suspicious Abnormality on Mammogram

I'm 47 years old needing a breast biopsy. I had a routine mammogram that showed a spot (no lump is felt)and then I had a spot compression with magnification . The findings were:
Presence of cluster of microcalcifications in the left outer quadrant. They are somewhat pleomorphic. Possibility of intraductal carcinoma. Bi-Rads Category 4. Is cancer probable with these findings and a bi-rad 4 ?. What is the % that it's cancer? I just want to be prepared for the biopsy findings.
Dear miztp:  Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue. There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause. For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a “cluster” of microcalcifications may increase concern that there may be an underlying tumor. There may or may not be any 'lesion' visible on mammography. However, if the microcalcificantions appear suspicious, further investigation, such as a biopsy, is usually recommended.  A BIRAD category 4 means that there is a suspicious abnormality. Most category 4 abnormalities are benign but may require biopsy since this category can be malignant in 25-50% of cases.  
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I had just about the same mammo results as you, BIRAD4. My surgeon (in April of 2006) advised that 15% of these turn out to be malignant--85% are not.  I was one of the unlucky ones, but lucky in that I caught my cancer EARLY.  Good luck!
I believe in the past it has been stated on this Forum that 25 - 50% of BIRAD 4 rating can be something OTHER than a malignancy. Wait for the response from the Professional though which will no doubt be posted tomorrow (8/3).
I am one of the fortunate ones with 2  biopsies for somewhat pleiomorphic microcalcifications, BIRAD 4 turning out benign. On my report they also wrote "cannot rule out malignancy." They won't know until they do the biopsy if it's cancer or not, but the chances of the calcs being benign are in your favor. I hope you join the benign group.
My info says 85% of calcifications are benign. But, according to California Pacific Med Center, about one out of four women with calcifications thought to be concerning enough to warrant a biopsy, has a breast cancer, usually at an early stage. This info helps me understand the difference in statistics quoted.
On my mammo last week a '1.2 cm shadow' is seen that now requires a spot compression and possibly an US. I'm unfamiliar with spot compression...obviously it gives the radiologist a better view than the mammo, but is it used to looked for microcalcs? It's hard not to jump to possible outcomes while I wait. I know you all understand. : )
Spot compression takes a closer look at an area that is unclear or suspicious. I believe it refers to a magnified view of a small area. They often use magnified views for calcifications. But sometimes breast tissue folds over on itself causing distortion, calling for more views. It's pretty common to follow up spot compression with magnifications. From that they'll decide if you need a biopsy or possibly the spot compression will clear it up and they'll decide all is fine. Cyn, were you at this site with breast problems some months ago or am I confusing you with someone else?
It's me. I went through a hellish summer last year which resulted in 3 biopsies (all benign) and a whopping hematoma. : ) Since then, I had an US in Feb on the right breast for 4 cysts (no follow up needed at this time) and a mammo on the left side in May for a new lump (cyst). Now in July, had my yearly mammo for which I got the call back for spot compression. I go in on the 10th. I'm doing fine mentally...just wish I didn't continue needing screenings. In march I also had a biopsy of the lining of my uterus (benign).

I have conflicting feelings about screening...sometimes it feels over done, and yet I'd rather have something caught early. Given the very real fight so many woman are waging against bc puts everything in perspective.
Hello All,

This is my first time being on this site and it has been truly insightful so far. I am a 33 year old female that found a lump in my breast. After the mammogram (VERY painful) and ultrasound, a 1 cm lump was indicated. The ultrasound findings indicate "an area of palpable abnormality 4 cm from the nipple. This is a suggestion there is some enhancement posteriorly suggesting this may represent a complex cyst.Would first advise that attmepted cyst aspiration be obtained and if no fluid is aspirated, core biopsy be obtained subsequently under ultrasound guidance. IMPRESSION; Well defined density in the right breast in the area of palpable abnormality, either representing a complex cyst or solid mass. Suggest ultrasound cyst aspiration be attemped, and if no fluid is aspirated, ore biopsy be obtained. BI-RAD Code 4: suspicious abnormaility - biopsy should be considered."

My biopsy is scheduled this coming Monday and I am very fearful of the outcome. No history of any breast related cancer or any other cancer for that matter in the immediate family. A couple of days after the mammogram, I started experiencing a burning sensation on the opposite side of where the lump is as well as some burning sensation on the other breast (no lumps in the left breast). The burning sensation has not gone away and it's been about 7 days since the testing. I don't know what to think at this point. If fluid is aspirated, then does that mean this is cyst related and not cancer? Why do I feel a burning sensation still?

I am very scared so anyone out there, wish me luck, pray (if you pray) for me and if anyone can answer my questions, i would greatly appreciate any feedback i could get.

Thanks!
I will be thinking of you. What you describe occurs often in women, though I know it's still not easy to go through. I've been through the same procedure many times with benign results for all. I've had complex cysts that both could and could not be aspirated. Stay strong and let us know how it goes for you.
Hi Cyn17,

I appreciate your response and well wishes. This really is a difficult time and the waiting is excruciating! I appreciate you informing me that complex cysts can have the possibility of not being aspirated. I helps me to understand that no matter what, I will have to wait for results. I wonder though..if it is aspirated does it mean it was definitely a cyst or still can't tell. I'm sorry you went through it 4 times! That must have been tough. I too had some abnormalities in the cervix which required me to have cyrotherapy to freeze the abnormal cells out. So far I'm ok there, but what the heck?? How much more can we handle of this stuff? :)

I wish you well on your test on the 10th. I will be thinking of you as well. Sending positive vibes....
Cyn, if it's calcifications they're looking at, is it possible they are a result of your previous biopsies? Are they in the same quadrant of your breast as your previous biopsies? After my 3 benign biopsies I really started questioning my need for more biopsies since they're always in the same quadrant. So now every 6 months I end up having a radiologist read my mammos who says I need a biopsy. Then I ask Dr. Anderson, my preferred radiologist to read my mammos and he always feels the calcs are benign. My surgeon feels Dr. Anderson is more experienced and agrees that after 3 benign biopsies in that area my calcs are probably benign. They still emphasize the need for me to have a mammo and CBE every 6 months because, of course, there is no guarantee that they are benign and feel I need to be watched closely.

I think radiogists are often over cautious, especially if they are inexperienced. But I agree with you that it is important to catch things early. It is stressful to go through this constantly... Are you seeing a breast specialist or general surgeon? Can you go to one of the large teaching hospitals for a second opinion of they suggest another biopsy?
Sorry to hear you have to go through this, too. I usually have pains in my breasts after mammogram and after a very thorough (and painful) CBE. They usually go away little by little. Breast cancer is not usually painful, but it is occasionally. And, remember that a high percentage of BIRAD 4 biopsies are benign. But, you won't know unless you have a biopsy. I know how hard it is to wait for the results. I wish you the best.
This new finding is in an area unrelated to the other biopsies. Today while taking a bath, I rubbed soap over the area and I can feel the lump I believe they are concerned with. I have such lumpy breasts that I've begun to rely on mammos and US to catch the lumps, otherwise I'd be at the doctors every few months with concerns. : )

I go to a very reputable hospital in Boulder, CO, with a new cancer center to boot (let's hope I never see the inside of that facility). After the craziness I went through last year, I changed doctors, breast surgeon and facility and have been very happy with my care since the change.

I was reading some else's post from last year stating they've never had a normal mammogram. Neither have I. In the past I thought they were being very conservative because my mother had bc, but reading everyone's experiences, what we're all going through sounds like the norm. Crazy!
lcrisp - If they aspirate your cyst they will check for abnormal cells in the fluid. If they can't aspirate it, it may be a fibroadenoma which they will remove with a core needle biopsy and test the tissue for abnormal cells. So yes, more waiting. In most cases cysts and fibroadenomas are benign.

Also, the burning you feel may be the pressure of the cyst or inflamation (inflammation) of your breast tissue around the cyst. Once it's drained or removed, you probably won't feel the burning anymore.

When do you go in again?

Positive thoughts back at you... : )
I appreciate your input as well. This is a fantastic forum! I have read on a number of different websites that breast cancer is typically not painful. I think though, no matter how much I read it there is always this doubt in my head that I'm one of the few. Anyway, thanks for the well wishes and I also wish you well too. Another lump? Geez...I'm really sorry and hope for the best~

When do you go to find out?
Hi Cyn17,

My biopsy is scheduled for tomorrow, Monday August 6th at 9 a.m. I just hope that since it will be pretty early, it's sent to the lab early and that I have an idea of what I'm dealing with by Wednesday. Also the burning pain I feel is mostly in the right breast but also in the left as well, so I'm thinking that makes sense. It's a little more painful on the right though. Anyway, I will keep you posted and probably check in again tomorrow just to let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much to both of you (Montana girl included) for responding. It has truly helped me feel a little more positive. :)
I'm so glad you have a surgeon and breast center you trust. I don't have a true breast center anywhere nearby, but I do have a surgeon and radiologist I trust, so I'm ok with that for now. Where are you in the long process of getting to the bottom of your problem? Are you waiting for results of the spot compression?
Like cyn, I have to rely on mammograms and ultrasound to tell what is normal and what is not in my breast. I have so many lumps I don't know what's a lump, what is scar tissue from previous biopsies, and what is just my regular lumpy tissue. I go every 6 months with my next appt in October.

I hope your biopsy goes well tomorrow. You're in my prayers. Please let us know your results.
I don't have the spot compression until Friday, 8/10. Unfortunately I have to travel for business early this week so I had to schedule the follow up for the end of the week. I'll let you know how it goes.

lcrisp - all the best to you in the morning. Please keep us posted.
Hi Ladies,

I had my biopsy yesterday and the doctor said he was 99.9% accurate that it is a fibroadema. I left there feeling more comfortable then going in. I'm not going to count on this result until I actually see something that says "no cancer." I mean, I guess it is a pretty bold statement for the doctor to say if he wasn't that certain...so I'm hoping for the best. The waiting game is still tough though...

I want to thank you ladies again. You both have been very helpful during this last week.
I had my first mammagram a week ago and they called and said there was an architectural distortion 5 cm and 6 cm from my nipple.  I have to go for another mammagram and ultrasound.  Has anyone ever heard of an architectural distortion ? any advice is great thanks - I received the report and it said it was compared to one from a year ago - I called and told them that I never had a mammagram they said it was a mistake but that the reading was mine.
I'm so happy for you. I think you will receive confirmation that the lump was benign. Yeah!
Thank you. Yes, I should be getting something soon. Thanks again for your encouragement. It is much appreciated!! Now, again, good luck with what's going on with you as well....
It's nice to get news like that at a biopsy to relieve your mind a bit. I hope your days of waiting are a little easier now.
I have to have a biopsy done tomorrow afternoon.  It states in my report from radiology that it it cat 4 but due to the position of calcifications it is unlike to be done stereotactically.  What does that mean?  This all happened to me so fast. Last week I had a right breast implant rupture, went to plastic surg. and she order a routine mammo.  On Monday, after 4 hours and lots of picures at the radiologist, I had a feeling they found something odd.  I am horrified and this has consumed me.  I have looked up biopsy's online and they all talk about the stereotactical ones but what about if you can't have that done, what will they do?  Any help would be appreciated.
BTW, it was a saline inplant. thanks
They often do stereotactic biopsies for calcifications because it is a less invasive proceedure. However, if your calcs are too close to the chest wall or in an area they can't get, they often do a needle directed biopsy. In this proceedure they take numerous mammograms and insert a long wire in the breast to indicate the position of the calcs. Then a surgen does an excisional biopsy to remove the calcs. I've had both proceedures. The 2nd one takes longer because it really involves 2 proceedures, but neither biopsy was too bad in my mind.

85% of calcifications are benign. Of those suspicious enough to biopsy, only about 25% are malignant, and then they usually are a very early form of cancer or precancer. I've had 2 Birad 4  biopsies for calcs that turned out benign. I know it's alarming, but there's a good chance everything will be fine.
The spot compression and ultra sound showed two cysts that don't require any more follow up. Yeah! No biopsy!!

Take care. Until next year...
Even though I have not replied to any of these particular post, I have been watching them. Great news.Time to party.
I just had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound for pain in the left breast.  Results were fine for the left, but the right breast showed 8 mm solid nodule with shadows, hypoechoic, and a bi-rad classification of 4.  What is the percentage of malignancies of a classification 4?  Just want to prepare myself.  They said it will be at least two weeks until the stereostatic needle biopsy.  What should I expect from that type of biopsy.
Thanks, I am glad to have found this forum and appreciate any info. you can share.
I believe the RN here quotes 50-75% of Birad 4 biopsies are benign, but my surgeon told me about 75% are benign. For a stereotactic biopsy they use mammogram (or some use a similar proceedure with ultrasound) to find the area to biopsy. They make a 1/4 inch incision for the needle which I understand can point different directions to take numerous samples. Very, very thin slices of tissue are removed using a vacuum type suction. After the biopsy they do another mammogram to make sure they biopsied the correct area. When you go home you ice the area on and off the rest of the day.

I was numbed up very well for the proceedure but I understand some places don't numb the breast. You might want to check on that. Laying on the table was somewhat uncomfortable even tho they tried hard to make me comfortable. All in all I didn't think the proceedure was too bad. Plan to take it easy the rest of the day, though, and tell your family they need to pamper you. The nurse told me that! Sorry to hear you need to go through the stress of a biopsy, but remember they are very often benign.
I'm glad you're clear for another year. You take care, too.
Thank you for the information.  You really helped me with the information you shared.
It really stinks when you are given a little bit of information and a lot of time to wait.
Thoughts of having CA have been consuming me these past two weeks.
I feel better prepared and more informed now. I have more hope.
I will let you know how it turns out.
Please do let us know how it turns out. Also, you can get much more detailed info by doing a web search on stereotactic biopsies. Waiting is soooo hard. I'll keep you in my prayers.
I posted last week - I am going for an U/S core biopsy on 8/15. Radiologist said it looked like I had a fibroadenoma and scheduled me for a biospy.  I don't have a copy of the report but she didn't look that concerned.  Had to wait 5 weeks.  Freaking out and waiting for the results will be a nightmare.  Hope they can tell me something after the procedure. Hope that's all it is and nothing else.  
That is good news that your radiologist doesn't sound overly concerned about the lump. I'm glad to hear the procedure is Wed. so you don't have to wait much longer. I will keep you in my prayers.
I went to a mammogram on 7/6.  Abnormal results.  I went for the second mammogram of left breast and sonogram during my first day of period (8/14/07) today.  They found a solid something and scheduled me for a needle biopsy of the left breast on the 27 of August at 9:00 a.m..  I have a lot of faith in God.  Please pray for me.  This will be my second biopsy of the same breast.  The first one was done on March of 2003 (my daughter was sent to Iraq during the war)  (My daughter was sent for the second time last November and she is still there).  This will be my second biopsy with my daughter in Iraq, I feel very stressed out due to other things also, I have 4 children and would like to see them married, I am 46 years old.  Once again, please pray for me.  Thank you.
I am 43 years old. Two years ago I had my mammogram and was called back the next day because of calcifications which turned out to be okay I guess. Last year my mammogram was fine. I went on the 9th of August and got a call on the 13 telling me because they have new digital equipment they saw more this time and I have to go back tommorrow for a more magified look. I have to say I am a little more nervouse this time. The last time they were able to get me in that day, this time I have had a couple of days to worry about it. I have been praying that God would help me not to think about it too much. My husband is planning to meet me for the appointment.
I will pray for you also that you won't think about it too much.
Praying for all as I have my core biospy today at 3:00.  Getting a bit nervous.    Hopefully it is just what the radiologist said it was - a fibroadenoma.
I woke up this morning worried about my appointment today. I can accept anything that has to be done it is just the waiting that drives me crazy. 13 years ago I had my colon removed because of ulcerative colitis and then 3 months later went back to have things hooked back up so I could get rid of the colostomy. I went through a lot but had the support of my church family and my husband and family, my boys were 3 and 5 at the time. They are now 17 and 19.  We have not shared this latest news with anyone as of yet. My mom means well but I have learned not to tell her much until I know more. She would be calling me every hour and make me worry! I am also a very private person, I don't want any attention on me. So I ask anyone that will to pray for me today, I am trying to keep it together, don't want my boys to worry about anything until they have to so we have not said anything to them.  They did tell me that if anything else had to be done it would be done today. Does anyone know what that may be? I know a needle biopsy could be done but would they do that today? Thank you for all of your comments on this forum, it has been helpful already just reading all of them.
Be still and know that I am God, says the Lord.  Nothing will happen to us without Him knowing or alloying it.  The worst that could happen to us is that we would be face to face with Christ in Heaven, wow, we are eternal, if we believe in Jesus Christ as our "ONLY" savior we will never die, in a blink of an eye we are right there in front of Him, how awesome is that!!!  I was called today by the hospital for a second bad news:  I have to see my gyn immediately tomorrow at 11:15, because some results of the pelvis sonogram came back with who knows what, I didn't even asked, so yesterday they ordered a needle biopsy for my breast on the 27th, and today another bad news.  I don't know how, but God has given me this peace inside that feels so good, this tranquility of mind, I too don't want to tell my mom the news, because she suffered cancer of the uterus in 2000, and my grandmother (listen to this) suffered state 4 cervix cancer and lasted 23 more years, lol.  She died of old age, in her 80s.  I have not told a single friend as of yet, but let's see.  I will pray for you today at 3:00, God is in the miracle business and He is the only One in that business, so.  Bless you!!!!  Please, let us know how it went.  A friend in Christ.
Thank you so much.  today is a religious holiday in my religion.  Went to church early this morning and said my prayers and I take this as a good sign that I am having my biopsy done on this day. I, too, had a pelvis and transviginal sonogram and MRI that showed an ovarian cyst around 6CM.  Impression was a cystadenoma.  Dr. wants to take it out by regular operation. Going for a second opinion on August 20th to see if it can be done laprascopically.  Will be saying my prayers for you for tomorrow.  I will let you know how everything went tomorrow.
I had a mammogram on 7/26/07, On 8/1/07, I recieved a call from my doctors office to make appointment with my breast surgeon.  My mammogram reveal some microcalcifications in clusters in the left breast. It given BIRAD 4. I have been on roller coaster ride since. I saw the surgeon on 8/8/07.  I did my homework and educated myself so it was not much to explain. The unlying factor in my case is the my microcalcifications are caused from fibrocystic left breast condition. The microcalcifications are very faint.  I have constant pain and burning in the breast.  The surgeon request a mamm consult with another radiologist and a followup biospy.   Another mammogram may be done since the first mammogram was done while I was wearing deorderant. I wonder how much does this affect the mammo film.  I forgot to remove the deorderant and cream from my breast before doing the mammogram.

Comments on this welcomed.
thank you for your prayers today. I went for my mamogram (mammogram) and was just told to come back in 6 months. I know that means they don't want to do anything further now but not sure why I have to go back in 6 months instead of 12 months. Makes me wonder what they are wanting to watch. I know I shouldn't worry, I will get my results in the mail in a couple of days, I guess someone just looks at it quickly while I am there. I do feel relieved that nothing else had to be done today.
I will continue to pray for you.
Congratulations!!!!!  You see, everything was fine, I wouldn't worry about the 6 month return, since I've been told to come back in 6 months for the last 4 years, only that I've been bad and the last time I had a mammogram previous to this one of 7/6 and 8/14 was February 2005.  If they told you to go back in 6 months I would do it, is better to be on the safe side, mammograms are not bad for you, but waiting is. I will let you know what they tell me tomorrow.  Thanks for praying for me.  God Bless!
I read that usually when you have a mammogram with deodorant on the films can't be read correctly.  I wonder why they didn't get a birad 0 instead of a 4.  I don't really know, but I would absolutely have another mammogram to know better, who knows, maybe the deodorant had something to do with all the microcalcifications showing, hope to God that this is what happened.  I had BIRAD 4 on March 2005, and don't really know what they found since the hospital has those films at the moment, but I think it was the microcalcifications also.  My biopsy came back negative, at that time I had to wait about two weeks for the results, I know, too long, but the results were happy ones.  When are you have the follow up biopsy?  Please, let us know, I will be praying on that day and time for you, promise.  A friend in Christ.
Wrong info. I had a biopsy on March 2003 (correction).
snowtree - I'm sorry you have to deal with another biopsy and will keep you in my prayers.

ckf - I also went from film to digital mammography this year and was told I needed a biopsy by the 1st radiologist. I asked another radiologist to read it and was told the changes in my calcifications were due to the clearer picture on digital. At the same time, I was asked to come back in 6 months to be sure. My understanding is that it is very difficult to compare film to digital. I hope your problem is nothing more than the clearer picture with digital.

Helen - Please keep us posted. I hope all went well today.

Brooklyn Girl - It is stressful, but remember that 85% of microcalcs are benign.

Sorry to hear about the additional health problems so many of you have. You are all in my prayers.
Thank you so much for your prayers.  I went yesterday for my biopsy.  Thought it was going to be a core biopsy but they did a fine needle biopsy.  Had the same radiologist who read my mammo and ultrasound back in July.  I was glad about that.  Pathologist was in the room and was given the samples and prelim results are benign fibroadenoma.  It has cells around it and they said surgeons recommend removal of the fibroadenoma as cells tend to grow fast.  I was lucky enough to be able to see a surgeon after the biopsy.  I will schedule to have it removed after doctors appointment on Monday for ovarian cyst.  

Snowtree - please let us know how everything went yesterday.  

ckf - wonderful news.
You are very blessed that the pathologist was in the room, because usually they are not, just the fact that you didn't have to wait for that result.  Is better if you have it removed, I would do the same.  What are they doing to your ovarian cyst?  Are you having another sonogram?  Well, I will be praying on the 20th for you.  Remember, prayers move mountains.  A friend in Christ.
Thank you for your concern.  I didn't know about the clearer picture in the digital films, but that makes me feel good, because when I was called by the hospital yesterday I thought it was really bad news, well the gyn told me that the pelvis sonogram was abnormal as well, but thanks to God and the prayers I received from my friends in Christ in this forum I also had good results:  No infection of any kind and the thickening of the lining of the uterus will be checked again when I get my next period, they want to do the sonogram with the period (yes, embarrassing), but.  Anyways, see how things happen, I took advantage of the situation and explained to the gyn that I would like to wait 6 months for another mammogram and sonogram instead of a needle biopsy.  She thought about it and suggested that I speak to a surgeon on monday the 20th, because the solid mass that I have in my left breast grew from 7 to 8, but you cleared my mind, it could be the digital machine.  Well, I want to believe that, if not I still love God the same and thank you all for your prayers.  My prayers go to you as well, and congratulations to you for been so informed.  Are you taking vitamin E and Primrose?  I take vitamin E 400 i.u., but I will start taking 800 i.u. and Primrose this coming week.  Well, so long for now.  A friend in Christ.
When I said I take vitamin E 400 i.u., you must be saying, well so what, she still has a solid mass, well let me explain.  The doctor that did my biopsy of March 2003 told me to please take this vitamin, because it was very good for the breast, he told me it doesn't take cancer away, I mean what is he going to say, he is not God, but he kind of told me that it crushes tumors, I mean he said, it helps.  He didn't have to speak one more word, I got the message.  You know sometimes doctors don't want to give you too much info, but when you are really sweet and nice to them, they will, I always respect my doctors a lot, but I also ask God to put words in their mouth that I will understand.  Anyways, I wanted to get this clear.  bye.
How nice to have the pathologist right there! Sorry to hear you need another proceedure, but I'm glad they think it's a fibroadenoma.
When I wrote about the clearer digital picture I was referring ONLY to the change in calcifications. I really don't know how digital affects masses, so please don't use my info for your masses. With calcifications, digital, compared to film, can make it appear there are more when in reality it could be the diference in technology. I'm glad you are going to see a surgeon about your mass. If there is change in a mass they probably do need to do a biopsy. Actually, I started taking vitamin E ,  Evening Primrose Oil, and magnesium to help with my night sweats and hot flashes. It seemed to help for awhile, but they were really bad again this summer. (That could be because it was a hotter than usual summer here.) Then I read it helps with fibrocystic breasts, also, so it actually helps in 2 ways. It hasn't changed the lumps already in my breasts, but hopefully it will keep others from forming. Let us know how your appt with the surgeon turns out.
I have heard that the aluminum in the antiperspirant can mimmick calcifications in the breast.  I also read a book several years ago that said in cultures where they don't wear antiperspirant (which contains aluminum, deodorant doesn't, if it is a combination product that contains antiperspirant and deodorant, then it does contain aluminum), anyway, in those cultures that don't wear antiperspirants and underwire bras, they find VERY few cases of breast cancer.  I have known this for years, but after my mammogram/ultrasound with a BI-RADS 4, I went right to the health food store and bought a deodorant without antiperspirant and am planning to ditch the underwires.  It is just not worth it.  I have a friend whose fibroids in her breasts went away after she stopped wearing underwires. She used to have them drained every 4 - 6 weeks because they would fill with fluid.  It has been over a year now that she has given up the underwires, and says she would never go back.
Food for thought.
I don't take the vit E or the primrose but will ask the doctor about it. I switched my milk to organic milk (no hormones, no antibiotics), I buy every thing organic now that I can get my hands on. I can't tell the difference. I also changed deoderant. Arm & Hammer make a deoderant that is aluminum free and paraben free. I love the new deoderant. Just my thoughts.
Hi to all and thank you for your wise comments.  I will tell you a story:  On Feb. 2005 I was told by a hospital that I needed a needle biopsy of my right breast because of a cluster of things they found, well I told them NO WAY!!!!!!! due to the fact that other hospitals had found the same thing all the time and came to a conclusion that it was a rare mole inside my breast.  I didn't hear the end of it, the radiologist told me that NO!!!! it was not a mole and that I needed to biopsy it, well I left mad, acting like a little girl and went to cry out to my husband and told him that if the hospital called me again to tell them not to call me anymore in a mad voice, my husband followed my ignorant advise and did exactly as I told him, but not without a fight, he told me if I didn't care about my 4 kids or him, well I told him I did, but to respect my decision.  End of story.  On 7/6 2 years and 5 months later I went to another hospital for a mommo and they found nothing in the right breast, but a solid mass in the left measuring 8 from 7 in 1998, 99 2000, 01. 02. 03 biopsy for it (benign, thank God!!!!), then I skipped to 2005 (nothing on left breast, but something on right), ok, on monday 8/20 I will go to a breast surgeon and ask her straight into her eyes:  Do I reeeaaally have to have this biopsy on the 27th of August or can I wait 6 mo. for a repeat mammo and sonogram????  I will explain my case just like I did to you.  What is going on?  What happened to my left mass in Feb. 2005?  What happened to my mole in 7/6 and 8/14?  Guys, you have to ask and ask, never give up, and always trust the Lord, he gave us a mouth to use it in the right way, he gave us brains to find information, I will fight this fight to the end.  Well let you know how it went on monday.   A friend in Christ.
Will explain better:  1998 (solid mass measuring 7 on left breast)    1999 (solid mass measuring 7 on the left breast)     2000 (solid mass measuring 7 on the left breast and a cluster of something on the right breast)    2001 (solid mass measuring 7 on the left breast and a cluster of something on the right breast appearing to be a rare mole)     2002 (solid mass measuring 7 on the left breast and a cluster of something on the right breast appearing to be a rare mole)  2003 (solid mass measuring 7 on the left breast and a cluster of something on the right breast appearing to be a rare mole inside of breast)  NOW THEY SENT ME TO A NEEDLE BIOPSY OF MY LEFT MASS, BIRAD 4  [NEGATIVE, BENIGN RESULTS] THANK GOD!!!!!!!!  NOTICE HOW THEY NEVER SENT ME TO A BIOPSY OF MY RIGHT MOLE? Well, I skipped 2004 (tired of it all), then on 2005 I said to myself: this is not a wise decision, let me try again.  2005 (cluster of something on right breast appearing to be a solid mass or calcification, but immediately needs to be biopsied), when the girl did the sonogram on my right breast she opened her eyes as if she saw something weird and seemed worried, and I was calm, thinking to my self: let me see what they say, then everything began.  Go forward to 7/6 2007 abnormal mammogram of solid mass measuring 8 instead of 7 this time.  Go again for more mammos and a sono of left breast on 8/14, sent to a needle biopsy on the 27th.  Going to see a surgeon on the 20th, we'll see.  Oh, did I mention that on 8/14 also I had a pelvis sonogram inside and out, well abnormal also, but my gyn explained to me that due to having big twins (8 pounds 4 oz. the boy and 6 pounds 9 oz. the girl) my uterus measured 11 instead of 8, and that I had thickening of the lining of my uterus, so she will wait for my next period and that I have to go on my fourth day, blood and everything to repeat the test, and that if is still thick she will send me to a biopsy of the uterus.  When is all this going to end.  My mother had cancer of the uterus in 1999 (survivor) paternal grandmother had cancer of the cervix (died 23 years later of old age, she was advanced in her cancer and had needles put inside of her, I guess with chymotherapy, well she was also a survivor, you see God does miracles, He is a awesome God.  Bye.                                
I just came from my biopsy and the radiologist told me that I have cancer. They are doing the biopsy though he said even if it does turn out benign they still would remove the abnormal cells. The first radiologist didn't say anything there was a chance of cancer this radiologist sat me down before the biopsy and told me 3 out 4 biopsies like mine turn out to be cancerous. When I started crying he seemed taken aback and surprised that the first radiologist didn't tell me this. I just wasn't prepared to get the results before the test. I go Wed. for my results. What type of questions should I be asking? I asked if I would be getting a lumpectomy he said no you will have breast surgery. What is the difference? I wish to be educated and be active in my recovery. Thank you.
You're right, a lot of these biopsies turn out benign. That is the good news. Unfortunately, unless they do a biopsy they don't know if the suspicious area is benign or malignant. They just can't tell the difference through mammo and us. That means many of us will have benign biopsies, but it also means many will have their cancer caught at an early stage where it is easier to treat and has a better survival rate. I put my faith in God, also. And, after having benign biopsies myself, I always get a second opinion when they say I need a biopsy and try to avoid it if possible. But, I also believe God gave us these doctors and surgeons  to help us with our medical problems. I try to find a doctor, surgeon, and radiologist I trust, pray God will give them wisdom, discuss my concerns with them, and make a informed decision based on their suggestions and  my own research.

So, what are they recommending for the suspicious calcs or mole or whatever in your right breast this year?  or has it disappeared?
There are probably a lot of women who could better answer your questions. I don't have cancer, so I am not as informed on this. I'm very sorry to hear you had the rug pulled out from under you at the biopsy, as if the biopsy isn't stressful enough. Also, the lab work has not been done, so how can he tell you it is cancer? His experience is probably telling you it's cancer, but you need to wait for the lab work to find out for sure. When he said you need breast surgery rather than lumpectomy I'm guessing they would removing a larger area than they would for a lumpectomy. Also, I really think he's jumping the gun. How can he say all this BEFORE THE LAB RESULTS? Pathology will determine how large the area to remove will be, NOT THE RADIOLOGIST .

First, I would ask for a copy of the pathology report. Have the doctor explain everything you don't understand. Ask how large an area would be removed at the surgery, if you need to take extra days off work, what limitations you'll have after surgery, etc. Also ask if/what other treatment might be necessary. You didn't say what the biopsy was for...lump or calcifications, or both.  Let us know more about what the biopsy was for and your lab results. I will keep you in my prayers.
I was completely blown out of the water when he drew a picture of my breast and put a cluster of abnormal cells on the paper and said that is where the cancer is located. When the shock registered on my face that he said cancer, I started crying. That was when he questioned whether or not the other pathologist told me it was cancerous. He said the cells, the amount, the abnormality, the fact that they weren't there last year pointed to cancerous. He said he had six similar mammograms last week and only one was benign. I kind of went into a daze after that, my mind had to wrap around cancer and my mind went to how to tell my husband and kids. He told me 3 out 4 mammograms like mine turn out to be cancer. He said even if it is benign they will remove the cells, they can't leave them in because they are too suspicious. I was first told they were calcifications. I had two sites that cells were extracted and I had a hematoma, I am really sore. Do you know how soon they would do the surgery? I will have a chance to heal first? I go in this Wed. If they are removing the cells anyway why did I have to have the biopsy, why not move into the surgery? Thanks for the questions I am writing them down.
My wife was recently diagnosed with DCIS in the right breast.  She is 65.  She is cool, calm and collected about it all.  I, however, am the worrysome husband.  She has surgery scheduled next week.  I am not sure about the procedure but the area in question is microscopic and that a small metallic marker was placed in that locaton when they removed the microcalcification during a stereotactic biopsy.  The surgeon mentioned something about a wire being inserted that will surround the target area and that the tissue within that area will be removed.  Our understanding is that one milk duct is involved and that the area around that duct will be removed.  The objective, of course, is to remove any malignancy that may be present.  He will also check the lymph system to ensure that nothing has moved to those nodes.  I am hoping that someone out there who has knowledge of this procedure can answer the questions that I don't even know to ask.  We don't know if radiation will be required but the surgeon does not believe that chemo will be necessary.  I am also wondering if tamoxifen is the prescription of choice or if there are other drugs that have proven to be effective.  I also understand that my wife will be at an increased risk of having a reccurrence of this condition in the future which makes me wonder if radiation should not be considered as a proactive measure to reduce that risk or if radiation is only used as a reactive measure.  Any information that any of you can provide will be appreciated.  Thanks a bunch
I'm not sure why they did a needle biopsy if they know they need to do an excisional biopsy. Maybe they feel the needle biopsy will give them info on how much tissue to remove during the 2nd biopsy. I'm also unsure of how long they'll wait for the next biopsy. I hope someone with experience in that will answer your questions. I have a question for you. What Birad rating did they list on your radiology report? Again, I'm so sorry you're going through this and hope you can get your questions answered better.
I'm so sorry to hear your wife was diagnosed with cancer. She's very fortunate to have a supportive husband. I'm guessing they will take mammograms to locate the marker and insert the wire before surgery. It's two separate proceedures which makes it longer than a biopsy alone, but as long as she is numbed up well it shouldn't be too bad. I don't know about radiation and follow-up treatment. I do know there is another drug similar to tamoxifen that has fewer side effects but am not sure what it is called. I agree it is good to be informed. If a doctor does recommend tamoxifen it would be good for you to be able to ask about the side effects and what other choices are available. I wonder if you did a search on "tamoxifen substitutes" if you could come up with the info. Another idea is to post your questions at www.breastcancer.org.  You would probably get more replies from women who have been through this before.
Montana Girl is right on the money with her description. This time last year, I had the exact same procedure as your wife. This is done because the area is very small and difficult to detect. My DCIS measured 3mm. I went to the hospital early in the morning. After check-in, I went to radiology where the radiologist  used my magnified x-rays as well as the marker to guide in wires to define the area to be removed. I did not feel a thing. Then it was onto surgery for the lumpectomy.
Everything that needed to come out was removed w/the lumpectomy. I was very lucky and had clean margins, meaning that there was no malignancy in surrounding tissue. I was surprised by the amount of my breast that was removed. Even though my DCIS was 3mm they removed tissue bigger than the size of a golf ball. They want to make sure! I did not have lymph nodes removed/tested. My DCIS did not warrant chemo.
Also due to the small size my surgeon did not want to use radiation. This is due to the fact that once you radiate an area you can not do it again. I did see an oncologist to discuss tamoxifen. He did not feel that it was necessary in my case as in his opinion my chances of havng any spread were only slightly higher than if I never had cancer at all. On that basis and due to the possible side effects I opted not to take it. But this is something that needs to be determined by a variety of factors and once your wife's surgery is over you will have a better sense for the best course of action. I hope this helps you understand a little better the procedure. If I can help in any other way, let me know and I will try.
My prayers are with you and your wife. I admire her courage and your suport for her.
Well, let me tell you that I have you in my prayers from now on, I pray to God that everything will be just fine.  Do you believe in miracles?   I dooooo!!!!!!  I've had miracles done to me, that if I tell you probably you won't believe, from kitches appliances to bee able to sell an ugly house in 40 days, I mean, please believe.  Today I went to the breast surgeon to see if I could return in 6 months for a mommo or to see if I really had to go to a biopsy on monday, then she asked me questions, examined my breast, and felt something there on top of my nipple where the solid mass is.  She told me that yes, that I have to have a biopsy, because if it was cancer, she would be able to cure it now instead of 6 months, she told me to be happy that I take care of myself and to have faith, I smiled and said "if you knew how much faith I have", she talked straight out and told me that usually if you are under a lot of stress the hormones can make old cysts and masses or whatever it is to come back again.  Well, all I tell you is to be happy that today you are okay and doing the best you can.  TOMORROW IS ONLY IN THE CALENDAR OF FOOLS, today is our day, you are making the best of it, you are doing good, be still and know that I'm God, says the Lord.  So long and be blessed.
Thank you for your concern.  The surgeon was checking my breast today, and I told her exactly everything that I told you, but she said that sometimes those solid mass come and go, depending on different things:  stress, hormones, worry, I know is true, because my ex pastor's wife had a fibrosis in the pelvis or uterus, not sure for 12 years, she neglected herself I guess, than my pastor died and she died in within a year, you see I guess stress is very bad.  The surgeon told me to take it easy, and to take care of myself, even though I have so much faith, that I have to be pro-active in my health.  Well, the right breast's mole, she didn't say much, but she felt like a small thickening under that same breast, but told me not to worry, because sometimes that is common in women over 40, I'm 46.  Thank you again.
What can I say, with a husband like you I'm sure she'll survive, you don't know how much you help her by caring, maybe that is the reason she is cool, calm and collected.  She feels like she is in a cool, dry place with you.  My husband cares too, to the point that he told me the other day that if something would happen to me he will give up on life, I lol and told him, oh come on I know you'll find a young, pretty girl and marry her, well he wasn't kidding I guess, because he's been pretty sad and very quiet lately.  He is usually quiet and with a hurricane category 5 attitude, but I try not to tell him too much, not more than he should know.  Please, tell your wife that you have positive feelings about her situation, because we suffer too when we see that our husband loves us so much, weird right?  Well, good husband, God will listen to your prayers, because He says in the bible that if a husband is rude or mean to his wife God will not listen to their prayers, you have the confidence that He will listen.  Ask in Jesus name and you'll see.  Thank you so much for been one of the few good husbands out there, once again is lovely to read from a man in this forum.  You got 100 in my report card.  Blessings to you and your wife.
I appreciate all prayers thank you. I have really been refreshed by this site. It is great to see so many good reports. I, too, had a hematoma and I am just so ignorant of this and what is happening to my body. The hematoma really hurt. I can't tell you how reassuring it is to be able to read that someone else went through all of this. My Birad rating was a four. Also I had no idea that I could have someone else look at the mammogram and get a second opinion about the biopsy. I am learning a lot and rather quickly. I will be able to help so many women who go after me. I just wish to thank everyone for their insight and yes snow tree I do believe in miracles. I believe that all things work together for good to those who love Him. I leave myself in His hands.
I am waiting for my results on Wed. It is great to have hope again after reading all that is posted on this site. Thanks for taking the time to reassure others and enlighten others of their options and give advice.
You both sound like very strong women spiritually, and emotionally. That will help get you through all of this. I'll continue to keep both of you in my prayers.
Helen V here - I have scheduled the removal of my fibroadenoma for 8/31. didn't realize that Monday is labor day and no work so i have the weekend and extra day to recuperate.  going in tomorrow for the lab work.  Also went yesterday for my 2nd opinion on my ovarian cyst. She said she can remove it laprascopically.  My doctor said he couldn't do it that way because it was too big.  It is 6cm, almost 7cm.  Will be going in for another sonogram on 9/20 - this way it will be 3 months since it was first diagnosed and she will have a better idea of what's going on.  Wanted to do it yesterday but she said it was too soon. And I will be changing doctors.  Glad I went for the 2nd opinion.

Snowtree - good luck on the 27th.  Please let us know what happens.
You can add my prayers to those of the good people on this site. Also, you will be in my intentions each time I attend Mass and receive Holy Communion: All our hope is in the Lord who is Love and Mercy.

Would you also pray for me? I have two densities on my latest mammogram and return for spot compression mammo this Thursday, 8/23.

Another friend in Christ.

I was told that I have 4 clusters of pleomorphic calcifications, ACR BI-RADS category 5, will have a biopsy on the 28th, I had to wait 10 days as I was taking Plavix.  Is anyone familiar with Pleomorphic calcifications.  The radiology report did not sound to promising.
Pleomorphic refers to the shape, which makes them more suspicious.  There's no way to know without a biopsy though.  If you want a better answer from one of the medical pros, you could start a new question.  They only take a couple a day though so you might have to try at various times. I've found I have the most luck getting my question in early in the a.m.

Good luck to you.
Thank you so much, I think you answered my question
Dragonfly - Hopefully the spot compression will clear up the questions and find a bengin area.

a.june - One thing about calcifications is that if they are cancerous, they usually indicate an early, very treatable cancer. Sorry you have to go through this.

I will keep both of you in my prayers.
Today I'm answering each one of you  little by little, because I am having a headache that is making me insane.  Helen V, I will be praying for you first thing in the morning on August 31st for the removal of the fibroadenoma to go 100% excellent.  Just make sure that you have enough rest and don't lift anything, let the house go.  Now that we are all going through this, doesn't everything look unimportant?  Also, about the ovarian cyst, that is good that you are going again on the 20 of September, because remember,  miracles could happen from now to then.  Pray for them!!!  Well, so long for now and God Bless You always.  A friend in Christ.
It doesn't matter what you do do, if you don't do what you have to do.  Don't tell God how big are your problems, instead tell your problems how big is your God.  lol.  Let me give you a little info in how I've been since 1992.  Yes, 15 years of me.  I am a minimalist in my exterior.  Meaning, I do not like or enjoy material possessions at all, I've been trying the last 15 years of my life to get rid of as many things as I could.  But, I live with 3 children and a husband (daughter is in Iraq) that are one of the most materialistic people you could ever meet.  Sometimes I ask God, why?  why?  Material possessions only give you limited, temporary happiness, if you can call it that.  Beside my passion for Christ, my other passion  is to live with less and less everyday, weird huh?  I wish I'd be a minimalist inside too, I mean, sometimes I eat a lot, I'm a little overweight, but not too much, I suffer when my house is dirty or untidy, because been a minimalist everything, even a little bit of clutter looks like the end of the world to me, so I'm a little bit demanding is that sense.  You would think that my other passion would be my husband and children, well they are, I love them very much, but of course, that is not even questionable, even though I feel like they are too much for themselves, is either the t.v., computer or the phone the passion of my children, my husband's (he say is me), but I say are other things.  Well, today I woke up with a headache and also with my addiction to minimalism to an extreme, I went to the maintenance guys that work where I live and gave them a bunch of stuff, yes, my family will get really mad at me later in the afternoon, but frankly, I feel so happy inside, the frankly my dear.  Who gives a ****? lol.  The best to all of you, once again, and out of the bottom of my heart, God Bless all of you and may you have the peace that Christ gives, not the one that the world gives, the one that He gives is the one that make you strong when you are the weakest.
Hi, thank you for joining us in praying for one another.  I hope that everything goes well on the 23rd, just remember not to wear deodorant or talc or anything else on that breast, even though they could give you wipes to remove things, don't be scared.  Are they doing a sonogram also?  Let us know.  God Bless.
Actually the four asterisks do not mean a bad word, is a word that means a bad word, but in a decent way.  I mean, a word that can be used instead, but it doesn't offend anybody.  Just to get that clear.  So long.
Sorry that they found four clusters in your breast, but let me tell you that you came to the right forum, we are here to support you, and to pray for you.  Do not cross the bridge until you get there, ok.  Those were the words of my breast surgeon, I also have to go to a biopsy a day before you, my doctor told me that I could take something to make me a little sleepy if I want to, due to the fact that I have problems breathing (nothing wrong with me in that sense), is just that I hyperventilate due to been a mouth breather, I guess.  I had one before and it didn't hurt whatsoever, but just food for thought.  Last week when I went to the hospital for consultation, almost everybody that was having a test too a calming pill, I don't know if you have any or could take it, please ask your radiologist before the biopsy if you want, if not go ahead and trust me, you don't even feel the needle, at least I didn't (without a pill).  A friend in Christ.  Will remember you and pray for you on tuesday.
Good advice, we need people like you that is informed.  Thank you for caring for a.june.  Please, keep giving good info, we all need it.  Bye.
You make us feel better with your positive input, you are also very informed, we need people like you to lift our spirit, I sometimes am very down, we are all humans, some Christians, some not, I believe that if it wasn't for my faith I would be down all of the times, but God gives me reasons to wake up everyday, remember, He gives us grace for today, not tomorrow, tomorrow will be today tomorrow.  ???!!!!  Like I said before Tomorrow Is Only In The Calendar Of Fools, I heard that from Chip Ingram (pastor), I listen to Oneplace.com everyday, different pastors, different topics.  A friend in Christ.
Thank you all for your support.  I believe in the power of prayer.  I had a radical mascetomey when I was 35.  I know that they have came a long way- I am now 65.  
snowtree, let me know how you did, and you are right, I should not try to cross a bridge that is not yet there.
Just wanted to let you know that I finally got an appointment for the biopsy, it is Friday.  I should have the results Monday and will keep you posted.  Thanks for your support!!!
Please do post your results. It helps the others that come to the site to hear how the proceedure went and your results. I will pray for you all.
Is it this friday the 24th?  Well, I'm glad you got the appointment, and you'll see how we are all going to go through this, and probably forget it in the future.  I tried to post comments to you, but every time that I would write JoyGirl it would only take the Jo, don't know what happened, but it was twice that did it.  My computer is kind of old and it acts up a lot, plus I am very ignorant about them, I just know a little, I should take some classes, lol.  Anyways, are you doing good with your new deodorant from the health food store?   And did you get rid of all your underwire bras?  You have a good point in that, actually my friend did the same, specially the amount of deodorant that come out of those things, sometimes is a lot, I try to scoop a little out with a piece of napkin, but still, I wonder if I am putting on more than I'm supposed to.  About the BIRAD 4, I had that in 2003, and it was benign, so don't worry too much about that, there are a lot of BIRAD 4 out there that are benign, my surgeon told me that, I also have a 4, going for my biopsy on monday, I am still considering taking a chill pill before or not, one minute I say no and the next I say yes, my husband don't help, he takes a chill pill for everything and anything, sometimes he takes it even when he doesn't need it, NOT GOOD.  I,m actually not afraid at all, so I think, because I'm going through a lot of personal other issue problems, I am actually worried about court dates, jail time, bond setting, and gps in the leg of my19 year old son.  Just to say a little, he has a almost 15 going on 40 year old girlfriend, he is 19 going on 14, so her family decided that they were going to go after him, due to the law, even though they love each other to death the law considers it wrongful.  Actually, it was all too nasty and frustrating, just to say one more little detail:  My son is a personal trainer and sometimes he is liked by mothers that are 40 somethings thinking they are 21 and sometimes those mothers are envious and jealous of their daughters.  Anyways, I don't really want to say more, due to the fact that this is all in court, has cost us a lot of money, stress, and just the fact that Jesus tells us to pray for our enemies, that's what I've been doing, but truly I think that is the hardest thing the word of God tells us to do, but it works.  When you pray for your enemies, you actually are praying for you, because this is the way I put it, God knows their hearts and He knows yours, at the end you obeyed Him by praying for the enemy and He will do justice and handle the enemy Himself (I've seen things happening to people that have done bad things to others,  that I would never want to be in their place a second of my life, and the people that they have done the bad thing to they have prayed for them, just like Jesus say.  Food for thought.  Well, I will be praying for you tomorrow, so I need to know if it is tomorrow or the other friday.  Waiting for reply.
Well the radiologist was right I have cancer. I asked for a copy of the pathology report and he said he couldn't give it to me because of the legal ramifications. He told me my surgeon will give me a copy. The cancer is in a duct but some cancer cells got out. I was told that hopefully they will be in the breast. If they are not then I guess they will check the lymph nodes? I am trying to stay positive. He told me they caught the cancer early and that there is a 98% cure rate. Also they said the inject the lymph nodes with dye to check with cancer. Will they still remove a few? Also will I be asleep for the surgery? I want you to know that I am praying for you all. This is certainly a tough time. Waiting, waiting and more waiting.
Take Care All
I'm so sorry to hear that, I have been praying for you, as well as for all, I have a one subject notebook with your names on it, the subject is PRAYERS FOR MY FRIENDS, I know that maybe this is not going to make you feel better, but I will pray that you will heal inexplicably, that there will be a miracle in your life waiting to happen, I will pray that your doctors will have healing hands while doing your surgery, and lastly I will pray for Him to give you a peace that will surprise you at times.  Friend, we all are going through something similar, we never know when our time will come, but we certainly know that we are not alone, and that it will not be finish until our Creator say it is.  My aunt had a biopsy of her pelvis, because she have the virus that they always talk about in t.v. (papilloma virus, something like that) and she was freaking out, the doctor told her that it was advanced and that is was 95 percent cancer, can you believe that doctor?  Well, right now she gave me the news that she was negative, she was that 5 percent, I yelled so loud on the phone, that she told me that now she was going to go to the doctor to check her ears, lol.  What I mean child of God, that never loose hope, God loves us so much, and sometimes, not Him, but the devil wants to hit us across the head, to see if we black out, but we won't, because we have an awesome God, one who can if we let Him.  It hurts that you are going through this, but you can count on me, ok.  A sister in Christ.  Bye Bye.
Just found out my sister-in-law's dad died this morning. Just a little more than I can deal with at the present. He was a sweet man and only 61 and no health problems. As you said before none of us know when. He was a Christian so I know I'll see him again, but as I heard the joke - God doesn't give you more than you can handle - does God know that I am only a "C" student. I am sincerely feeling that way. It is a little overwhelming. The stress my family is feeling is overwhelming. Thank you for your prayers, could use a little of your positive energy right now. The Holy Spirit variety.
Waiting for that small still voice.
Take care
Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law, you see, he was healthy.  Nobody know only God.  The "C" student in funny, I must be a C minus, don't worry about it, I don't even know how I graduated from High School.  My friends were always studying and some of them fell the grade, I tell you, life was not fair for them, they had to do summer school, not me, weird right?  Well, also, you know that when it rains it pours, God is giving us a big test and we are trying to pass it, He understand,  His strength is like a balm, isn't it?  Oh, did I mention that my husband has to cousins that were given breast cancer diagnosis this year, yes, one is like 48, the other like 62, they are both doing great, one is hyper, the other is calm, but they are both taking it well, I mean, you hear everyday of new cases, I tell you, I wish that someone will come out with a vaccine, because this disease is more common than it has to be, the day that I went for my mammogram and sonogram, like everyone there was there either for more films or biopsies, I think nobody came out Birad 1 (meaning great!), all of them had BIRAD 4, what is this?  At least, we are taking care of ourselves, God gives us wisdom, He likes when we take care of ourselves, as long as we also take care of others, I love Him so much, whatever the trial, nobody can ever substitute what I feel inside of me since I was 9, back in 1971, I think I was born loving Him, forget about my family talking to me about Him or taking me to church, no, no, they didn't care, either one way or the other, my babysitter was the one that took me to her church, and from day number one I fell in love with Him, is a feeling that I can't describe, is the reason for me to do anything, my family thinks I'm weird most of the times, including my mom, she tells me, is not normal that you react that way to bad things, I say, well, you are missing on something good.  She is 66 years old, but still doesn't have the Lord in her heart, she has many idols, she worships them.  I mean her idols are material possessions, clothes, shoes, jewelry and many others, but the problem is that she doesn't have any money, but still buys them, then she can't pay for important things, then she get depressed and blames everybody, including God for her misfortune.  I still talk to her about the Lord almost everyday, I want her to go to heaven, if I could only get inside her brain, but I can't, anyways I love her a lot, I respect her, and feel sorry for her, we are the best of friends.  Bye
You have so much to deal with right now. Only the Lord can give you the strength you need. I'm glad to hear yours was caught early with a high rate of cure. My knowledge is mostly about lumps and calcifications. I haven't had to deal with cancer, so I hope some others can answer your questions. Or, you could try posting your questions at breastcancer.org
Thank you for your comments and support.  My biopsy is tomorrow (8/24) at 8 am.  They said they should have the results within 24 hours but that I would probably get them Monday because of the weekend.  Thank you for your prayers, and I will keep you in my prayers as well.
I am still using the underwires but have vowed to myself that next week I will go purchase some new bras.
I purchased a lavendar enzyme deoderant and to tell you the truth, it doesn't work as well as the other stuff, but I am glad that I switched.  I have found that I need to apply it a couple times per day, if I apply it three times, it works great.  If I only do it once or twice, I have noticed that I can get a little smelly under the arms.  Not used to that.  But I supposed God made our bodies perfectly and we are the ones who screw them up, by the things we put in them and on them, to defeat their true purposes.  We are supposed to sweat out toxins.  I'm realizing that maybe that is part of the reason that cancer rates are always on the rise.  Our bodies are just so full of toxins, between the aluminum deodorants, and all the chemicals in our food, air and water, we really have to work hard to make wise choices to assist our body in staying healthy.  Regardless of how my biopsy (I started typing "autopsy", opps...) turns out, I know that this experience will have changed me for the better.  I feel empowered to work harder towards maintaining my health, and I have come to the realization that we don't 'catch' diseases, we create them.
I thank you and everyone else for your efforts with this forum.  I know that I have made new friends and we all know that we can never have enough!
Good luck with your son.  Stay positive and my thoughts and prayers will be with YOU on Monday.
How very true everything you said.  About my son, results were better than I thought, we was punished with 13 more hours of anger management classes, even though he is not to angry, but you know that life is not fair, the girl came out worst, she have to go to 26 anger management classes and psychiatric evaluation, so just like I say, the mother tried to hurt him, thinking that they were going to send him to jail again and she was the one that came out with $750.00 worth of medical bills and no insurance.  God don't like ugly.  Thank you for asking.  I promise you that today I will be praying for you at the time of the biopsy, at 8:00 a.m.  The time here is 6:42 a.m., like I always say go and say to God, please God You be the One that does the biopsy, You be the One that reads the biopsy, and really leave it on His mighty hands.  I truly agree with you about the deodorant, and I know what you mean about the "healthy ones", and about the toxins that should come out of our body naturally, I wonder what God thinks about all of us down here, He must be thinking {why do these people make their lives so complicated?  Why?}  I tell you, I would be thinking that way, I think about the waste of times, for example:  The times we waste ironing, cleaning with windex all the dust, taking out bathroom dirt, vacuuming, sweeping, shopping for food and other stuff, washing dishes, and at the end of the day we are wasted, tired, frustrated, oh and did I mention organizing the clutter.  I don't want to be a downer, but I've been trying to put my life in order for so many years, and like I said before minimizing everything in my life, I live with a lot of stress for many reasons, and like all of us, too many things to do, like Henry David Thoreau said in his book Walden simplify, simplify, simplify, I rented his tape in the library, and even though I don't agree with some of his ideas, I agree with must of them.  I tell you, God is the one that keeps me sane, He is the Only One that I can lean on, nobody else.  So trust Him and leave your burdens to Him, there is a great relief in giving all our cares to Jesus.  Well, be strong and let us know as soon as you have the results, I go for my biopsy on monday at 9:00.  Bye.
Thank you for your prayers, they are very much appreciated, we are so blessed to have friends that we can lean on, specially to pray together with each other, that is so powerful.  Even if the outcome is not good, we have people to share our fears, sadness, and questions with.  Very important.  Bye
When you see a man led to prison, say in your heart, "perhaps he is escaping from a narrower one", and when you see a man drunken, say in your heart, "perhaps he sought escape from something still more UNbeautiful".          We are all prisoners, but some of us are in cells with windows and some without.              Joy can multiply itself in a heart that overflows with Love.        The Joy of Jesus will be my strength in my time of sadness.           It isn't how much we do, but how much Love we put into what we do that really matters.         You must Love with your time, your hands, and your hearts.  You need to SHARE all that you have.                Forgetfulness is a form of freedom.                Should you really open your eyes and see, you would behold your image in all images.  And should you open your ears and listen, you would hear your own voice in all voices.                 Half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it so that the other half may reach you.      A friend in Christ.
Thank you for your prayers. I am slowly regaining my faith. Reading a lot of Psalms lately. Joygirl I liked when you said we don't catch diseases we create them. Thanks for that. A lot of my Christian friends are upset with me for my lack of faith. Honestly I know God didn't plan this for me. He has a plan for me to prosper. But our lifestyles now are terrible. Your statement really sums up my feelings. Do I think God can heal me, without one doubt. I just know that I wasn't really eating healthy and obeying Him in that area. It was a direct disobedience and now I have the consequence. Thank you. Also about the deodorant how funny I switched about a year ago and I am constantly asking my husband, smell me, do I stink? LOL. Also just a warning I never heard this from anyone but on an interview with Sheryl Crow - water. Yes water, you see when we drink water from plastic bottles and the bottles get warm she said they leach out cancer causing substances. Penta is the best water, but absolutely tap water with a filter is the best. They were warning women not to leave their water in the car, let it get warm, but then drink it anyway. Then I realized they do not transport this water cold. So any water you buy in plastic is probably contaminated. Also then what about juice, etc. You said about more and more women getting breast cancer, it may be linked to plastic. So for us we must be more vigilant. Take care of our bodies. I am praying for you all. Snowtree keep the faith, you are a joy. Montana girl you are a wealth of information.Joygirl you are a delight. All in my prayers. Keep strong.
How are you?  How did it go today? I prayed for you exactly at 8:00 a.m.  I hope everything went well.  Let us know as soon as you have an answer.  God Bless.
I went to Target today and saw for the first time a deodorant with a pink ribbon on the outside, it was natural and smelled really good, maybe I'll try it in the near future.  Has anybody heard of using lemon in your underarms?  I knew of a man that did this and he said that he never smelled, he did it to save money, though, but you never know.  Anyways, anybody know anything about these?
maa64 - I don't understand people the criticizm you got for not having faith. Faith in God does not determine the outcome of a biopsy. Believing the biopsy will be benign is positive thinking, NOT faith. Faith in God is about believing in God, understanding and accepting His will in our lives. Faith is knowing God will get you through this. Faith is NOT about believing that God will not allow you to have cancer. Also, please don't blame yourself for needing causing your breast problems. It's true that eating and living healthy can lower your chances of cancer, but it DOES NOT mean a healthy person will not get cancer. You have plenty of stress to deal with without putting the blame on yourself.
You just hit on the target, is so true what you say.  That's why I are rather tell you guys what I'm going through than sometimes people in my family or friends, to tell you the truth, I can only say that I have 1 friend, she actually think she is my friend, but I really think she is someone I happen to know and see frequently.  I can't stand people that never liked me to begin with, to be calling me all of the time to ask me how I'm doing and doing the hypocrit act, another thing that I don't like is when you try to speak and talk about a problem that you have, and the other person doesn't even let you finish, because she doesn't even care about what you are saying, she just wants to put a little piece of her story there, and there it goes, you don't even want to tell your story anymore to someone that don't care anyways.  This world is full of good hearted people, I'm sure, but full of hypocrits, that think they are better than thou.  Maa64, you know why they say that you don't have faith?  Because they are not going through what you are going through.  Do you know what I've been doing this week?  I've not answered the phone, at all, because all of a sudden, everybody loves me, and everybody wants to know the result of my biopsy, not because they care, but because they need a little gossip.  I'm sorry, but I am free in Christ and part of my freedom is that I don't have to answer the phone if I don't want to.  Period.  A friend in Christ.
I'm thinking about you!
I had the biopsy yesterday.  It was not too bad.  I will describe the details so that anyone else that may be preparing will hear all about it.  I had a stereostatic needle biopsy for a Birad Class 4 suspiscious mass in the right breast.  I laid on my back on the table and they first did an ultrasound.  Then they cleaned the breast and covered all of me except an opening of about a 5" diameter in the surgical paper over the breast.  The worst part was the anesthesia.  It burned a little but really wasn't that bad.  It was a lidocaine and epinephrine injection.  They would inject some, then push the needle in a little further, inject more and so on until they had it all totally numbed.  I have had a number of dental procedures done and it did not hurt as bad as the anesthetic that you get before dental work. No where near as bad, so if you can handle the injection at the dentist, this will not be as bad.
Anyway, they did an ultrasound while they were inserting the needle and sucking out the samples of the mass through the needle. The whole process took about an hour.  They wanted to insert a clip into my breast which they would leave in forever and I objected and luckily the doctor told me that he would not put in the clip.  He said that if it comes out malignant, there will be no marker in the breast without the clip so that I will need to have surgery within two weeks so that they can see exactly where they were working and taking samples.  He said that the sampling site would not heal for two or three weeks so a quick surgery would be in order to make sure they would take tissue from the 'right' site.  
When they were done, the technician cleaned off my breast, applied about 8 or 10 steri strips (like butterfly bandages) over the incision which is only about 1/2 inch long.  Then they put a little compression bandage on the site which was a roll of gauze covering the incision site secured in place with surgical tape.  Then they sent me for another mammogram.  Then put a small ice pack on it and then my bra.  As soon as I got home, I put a bigger ice pack over the area inside my bra.  I put a couple snack size ziploc bags with water in them into the freezer and everytime the ice would thaw, I would put a new one on the site (wrapped in a paper towel).  I had the procedure done at 8 am and kept ice on the site til about midnight.  This morning I removed the compression bandage and tomorrow I can try to remove the steristrips, but I will probably leave them in place an extra day because I did have some bleeding today, which bled through my clothing.  I started doing laundry this morning and probably overdid it!  I really had no major pain.  I think all the ice really helped a lot.  I also really took it easy yesterday after the procedure - rested a lot during the day.
It really wasn't bad.  The worse part it the worrying and waiting.  I should get my results on Monday and will be sure to share them with you.
Thank you for your comments.  I didn't mean to create any guilt when I said basically that we are the cause of our illnesses.  I hope to shed light on the subject that we may have more control over our health if we pay more attention to what we expose our bodies to.  It is never to late to learn.  We all could do better, but in a health crisis, when we have these ah-hah momments, we can learn from them.  My thought in even making those statements was to inspire us all to try harder, to think twice about the fast food, the preservatives, the weed killers, bug killers, the diet pop, etc.  We have to be empowered to try to make healthier choices.  Our bodies need nourishment now more than ever.  The stress alone that we are all under depletes our bodies of several key vitamins.  I like to think of our body as a savings account, everything we eat is either a deposit (of good nutrients) or a deficit (something our body will have to work hard to digest or figure out what it is).
I know that you will be OK.  I will pray for you and for your healing.  I am not a very religious person but I do know that Jesus healed people who had faith in his ability to heal.  Believe that He will heal you.  I truthfully can not even imagine what you are going through.  Try to focus on the positive, on the success rates, and feel grateful for all of the wonderful people and good things in your life.  Take time for youself.
Know that you (especially on your one year mark)and Montana girl are in my thoughs each and every day!
I am a 36 year old who had a mammogram  2 years ago after my doctor palpated a lump. I had an ultrasound after the mammogram and I had some macrocalcifications in the left breast. I was relieved to find out that everything was negative.On 8/24/07 I had another mammogram after my doctor palpated more lumps all over in both breast. I have very cystic breast which are painful about a week before my period. This time the mammogram identified some microcalcifications in the right breast that were concerning. It was described as indeterminate and I have a core needle biopsy scheduled for 8/30/07. I am terrified. I have started planning for the long-term effects this can have on the family if it is cancer. My husband and I have been going through a divorce and I have come to the conclusion that whatever we were going through is minute compared to a breast cancer diagnosis. He is being very supportive and I need that right now. The problem is I am a nurse and I have always valued "quality of life" vs. quantity of years. I think I would prefer to enjoy the time that I have over fighting and going thru  the ups and downs of therapy, living unsure if the cancer has returned and  the stress and strain that my family will face. Am I making the right decision? My husband was shocked at our discussions and totally against the idea. My doctor did tell me that 80% of the microcalcifications are benign. I am still terrified. We have decided against telling any family and friends until the biopsy is complete.  
I need to add that I was on the last day of my period when I had the mammogram and magnification. Also I drink about 12-20 oz. coffee at least 3-4 times a week. Does this affect the mammogram results?
I'm glad your biopsy went well. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Many of us expect the worst when we go for a breast biopsy. But look at the high percentage of benign biopsies for  calcifications. I personally have had 2 benign biopsies for calcifications. If the area is malignant, it's most likely a very early, treatable cancer. I understand what  you're saying about cancer treatment interfering with quality of life. But, many women have gone through treatment and come out stronger in the end. If it turns out to be malignant, please don't make up your mind about any treatment until you've gotten at least 2 opinions for treatment and researched them well. And remember, a suspicious area does NOT necessarily mean cancer. I will keep you in my prayers.
Thank you for explaining your biopsy in such great details.  I am going for mine tomorrow morning, I have to be in the hospital at 8:30, to register, at 9:00 they will start the biopsy, I will let you guys know if I have to take a chill pill or not, is like the stronger I want to be, the shakier my knees get, one second I tell my husband I'm brave, I don't need anything, and the next I tell him I think I should take it, well, he is a matter of fact guy, and he just told me to take the pill in my hands and swallow if I need it, even if I'm in the middle of it all, lol.  You know that I'll look a little weird holding a pill in my hands, and I might scare the radiologist.  Anyways, the last biopsy I had sounded exactly like yours, there were some differences, though, I laid in a bed looking down, with my left breast in one hole, and I felt like a lot of plastic bags placed on my breast, and a lot of x-rays were lightning the room, I thought those people had forgotten me there and the x-ray machine had gone crazy, lol.  I started yelling, "please someone come to the room, these x-rays can't be good for your health, a nurse and the doctor (actually a breast surgeon) came at the last minute and told me that I was going to hear a clapping of hands, and that it was only going to hurt that long (one loud clap), well, I heard the clap, but it didn't hurt, not even once, the radiologist before him had been talking about how everything was in Iraq (my daughter been there), and he was trying to take my mind off it all.  It was a good experience, but just like you I had to put ice, and rest, is very important to rest (almost impossible in my home), my husband took the day off, so I'm taking a little advantage of him and I gave him a list of things he have to do, like fax something, ship something in the post office, order my daughter's contact lenses, and very important buy me a banana split from cold stone, I want to be pamper, for at least one day in my life, I serve everyone here, now is there turn.  JoyGirl, please rest this week as much as you can, remember, the house can go, and the laundry, try to do whatever your family needs at the moment, just for one week.  God Bless You.  Let us know the results, please.
Hi all, Had a routine yearly mammogram on 8/21 (my 5th). I am 45. They found an area of microcalcifications in the left breast, that had not been there previously. Had magnification mammo and ultrasound the same day. Had stereotatic biopsy on 8/24, they wanted to do it sooner, but it was my son's 9th birthday... My Birad was 4b. I went to biopsy thinking that it was 80% likely benign, however the radiologist said in her experience it was more like 50% benign. The cluster was dense, linear and they did not get it all, though a "good sample". The biopsy was Fri, so have to wait until Mon for results... it's killing me to wait. Also, the first day of school is Mon, my youngest is starting kinder. Hard to be excited for her. Any words of encouragement during the wait is much appreciated. Thanks, Tammie

We are your support group for now, we are all going through the same thing, so we understand each other, everyone here has an input, and that is very important.  You are going on thursday, right?  Please tell us the time, so we can pray for you, I already wrote you on my prayer notebook, like Montana girl said:  Just because we have faith that doesn't mean that the biopsy is going to come back benign, but it means that God will be there with us comforting us at that moment and beyond, in other words, we are still going to believe in Him the same.  His thoughts are not our thoughts, that's why he is God, we are not.  But, let me tell you that prayers accomplish much, but is true what Montana girl said when she said that thinking the biopsy is going to come back benign is positive thinking, and that we should accept God's will in our lives, sometimes when we think something is good for us is not, and sometimes when something bad happens to us, at the end is for our benefit, I don't know how to explain it, but it is.  Well, try to be calm.  Tomorrow I will be explaining my biopsy in detail, pain or not.  Know the Truth and the Truth will set you free.  Christ is the Truth:  He is the Way, the Truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father except through Him, so that's why I pray to the Father in His name.  Sharing your pain.  Snowtree.
Thanks for the encouragement. I really need to hear everything...the good with the bad. I called my doctor after the magnification and asked  her to order me something for anxiety. I know me and I know how overcome with anxiety I can become in situations like this. This has really brought home for me how short life is and how we should live every moment to the fullest. Thanks for the lessons on faith and sharing your experiences. I really needed this forum. The wait is creating a great deal of anxiety for me. Can someone please assist me with pain medication before the biopsy? I have a low tolerance for pain. I will definately need something more than tylenol. In my experience Ibuprofen would probably be benefical for inflammation but it can increase bleeding so they asked that I not take any. Any suggestions? DemoNurse
I have heard that you can not take any ibuprofen or aspirin for at least 48 hours prior to the biopsy and 24 hours after because of the bleeding.  I didn't take anything before or after, just ice.  I had my biopsy on Friday, I am bruised but really never had pain.  I did have a few odd sensations in the breast and up under the arm, but definitely not pain.  Don't worry.  You will get through it.  
I know how hard it is wondering.  It is so hard with the kids.  I know when I was waiting in line with my son at his school registration, tears were welling up in my eyes thinking that I may not be around to do this with him next year.  I was probably the only mom in line that was not complaining about how long and slow the line was.  I suddenly was just so happy to be standing there next to him. I had to wait a month for my biopsy, so it was a long painful month for me.  I am supposed to get the results tomorrow.  I have made the decision to not tell my children.  Also, I will not tell any family members til I have the results.  If it is malignant, I will have to figure out what I am going to do.  It is hard to keep it to myself, my husband is the only person that knows.  That is one reason that this forum is so great.  You can talk to a bunch of great women who are going through the same thing.  You don't have to worry about them telling anyone.  My personal opinion is not to tell anyone until you know for sure, then weigh out how you want to handle it.  I just didn't feel that I wanted to put my kids through worries, especially now that it is the beginning of a new school year and all the everyday stresses they go through with new schools, teachers, etc.  I chose not to tell my other family members because I did not want to put them through what I am going through, hopefully unneccesarily.
Keep us posted....
Good luck tomorrow.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Try some deep breaths.  I am glad your husband will be off.
In the past 2 years, I have dodged several medical bullets, a carotid artery murmur (doc thought it was an anerysm, turned out to be nothing) two years ago, then suspected ovarian tumors caught on ultrasound (again turned out to be nothing) last year.  All of these happened in Aug.  It is just a bad month for me.  Anyone, I really feel fatalistic about this, feel like this time I won't dodge the bullet and it will be cancer.  It is a very strong pure feeling.  I can deal with the diagnosis and treatment, it is the waiting that bothers me.  My husband is a doc (orthopaedic surgeon) very strong, supportive, wonderful really.  He tells me it is in God's hands, however I feel that God may want this test for me.  Did any of you the feeling that the results would be bad, then they turned out the opposite?  I promise I will post with results tomorrow.  This is the longest night ever. I'm thinking of asking hubby to call me in an rx!
Be Well,
Tam
Oh, I meant to tell you, the biopsy did not hurt, just uncomfortable.  I had the breast through the hole type, positioned on my tummy, because of the location of the microcalc.  More undignified than anything.  Any thoughts on the 50% number that the radiologist gave?  That is really bugging me.  Also, she asked if my husband and I had decided on a surgeon as she was doing the biopsy.  Not good bedside manner.
I share your feelings about medical procedures in the month of August. I wait all summer, then try to get things in, only to be zapped by one thing or another. Last year I was diagnosed with DCIS, caught very early, removed with lumpectomy, no follow-up (chemo, radiation, medication) needed. This August it has been cardiac issues aggravated by nerves that are shot.
I agree with you whole heartedly that waiting is the worst part. Just tell me right then and there and I can deal with it and move on! But that is not the case. The only way that I got through my August 06 was with some help from my mother's xxanax. I will keep you in my prayers as you wait to hear your results. Try to stay positive. I disagree w/the 50%. The only numbers that I have ever heard, not only on this site, but from my own surgeon is 85%. Keep that in mind. The odds are with you, not against you.
Thank you for praying for me.  I really appreciated.  I just woke up, and I'm breakfasting dunkin donuts, yes a coffee with all its caffeine and a bagel with cream cheese.  To tell you the truth I have decided to take the xanax (but you never know what I'm going to think when I'm in there), I am a little mad at my children because with all the noise they made in the middle of the night I couldn't sleep, and spent the night listening to television (all bad news about Hulk Hogan's son, Owen Wilson, etc.), and praying, even though you never can say how you going to react to something, I've been a nervous wreck, why lie, but I have seconds of calmness, lol.  Well, will post today how it went.  Thank you again,  GLORY TO GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let us know your results today.  I will keep on praying for you.  I promise.
Just wanted to tell you that when I restarted drinking caffeine (stopped when pregnant) I started getting lumps in my breast, my ob/gyn told me to lay off the caffeine that in some women it causes cystic, fibrous lumps in breast.
Tamgirl, I will be praying for you. For all of us the waiting is terrible and I, too, had a doctor with a bad bedside manner. Didn't he realize that if he was having a bad day that mine might be worse? I pray I never get that radiologist again. So don't let his mood effect yours.
Please everyone post your results asap. Praying for you all. Also Joygirl you didn't create any guilt. I am a person who analyzes and I knew God wanted me to quit eating some of the bad things. Sugar especially. I like your thought on a bank account. It HELPS me choose better items to eat now. I go Wed. for my consult with the surgeon. Just remember gals,of all cancer Breast cancer is the most treatable and curable. Let's not give up hope. I love this site. Sometimes I feel like I am a loon going from moments of great faith to crying. It is just so much to deal with and I realize I am normal well as normal as one can be!
Praying for all your results. Hang in there snowtree, joygirl, tamknit.
Take care.
You are in my prayers that your biopsy goes well today and thank you for your prayers as well.  I do believe in miracles and I am praying for one for my ovarian cyst and that all goes well on August 31st for my procedure of the removal of the fibroaedenoma.  Please let us know how it goes.
Thanks for your comments, I called my doc. the exact moment that the office opened this morning for my biopsy results.  I had to leave a message and am waiting for the results.  This morning I felt really gloomy.   I agree with everyone, the waiting is the worst thing.  It is easier to go through the procedures and treatment than it is to wait, and wonder, and worry. IT is a roller coaster ride.
Good luck on Wednesday.  I know you will get through this and I, too will be praying for you.
God Bless You as you proceed...
How did it go?  When do they expect your results?  I have been and will continue to pray for you.
Try not to watch too much depressing news on TV.  Put on comedy or something that you like.  Try to surround yourself with happy stuff.  I try only to watch parts of the news, if I want to hear the weather forecast or the sports, or a main story of something that is going on, I watch that part only, then I turn it off.  Hearing about all the rapes, and drive by shootings, and hit and run accidents, stories about cruelty, etc. really brings us down.  We don't need that right now.  Rent your favorite happy movie, comedy or romance.  It will make you feel better.  Try to spend time with positive people.  Try to let go of any anger or resentment that you hold onto.    It will raise you up!
Remember I told you that I ate donuts this morning?  Well, I didn't tell anyone in the hospital, because they didn't ask anyways, but let me say the truth, I did take a xanax before leaving my house, I got to the hospital 5 minutes late, like at 8:50, they called me in to register, then at 9:00, they sent me to the radiology department, there was a nurse, a guy that did the sonogram, then another guy (the radiologist) took over and finished the sonogram, now they said something different that I had a solid mass measuring 5, and then now it measured 8, wow.  Then the previous guy that had started the US came back, and told me, ok we are starting, I will put a orange antiseptic all over your  breast, some in my neck (by the way, by mistake, but no big deal), he told to lean to the side and to move my left arm babk, to make sure I dont touch the breast, then theu waited for the surgeon that was in an important phone call, and I told them I didn't mind waiting, for them not to worry, then the surgeon came, told me that a needle was going to be inserted to numb the breast, but that they had to insert three of them, cause the solid mass BIRAD #4 had to be checked and biopsied in three different angles (side) (underneath) and (top), I told them all (even another nurse came in the room and started massaging the side of my hip, as if making me relaxed), that to please do not mention anything they found until my results were ready, they placed something inside my breast, cause the surgeon said that in the future when I have other mammos, that they will know that I had already had a biopsy on that spot.  Conclusion:  No pain (of course) after taking a xanax I'm the braves person in the world, they congratulated me and mentioned that I was very brave, lol, I said inside of me MEEEEE???    BRAVE???   no way Josey!  But, the don't ask don't tell rule applied here.  Please, never take a chill pill without consulting wiith your doctor, remember that I had previously asked another breast specialist.  Well, I don't know whwn the results are going to be ready.  Will post.  One more thing, I didn't applied the resting time yet, I just came from Crackel Barrelm my husband could not believed I wanted to eat again, but just for the tradition, on my other biopsy I did just the same.  Thank you for your prayers, I will answer all of you today little by little, is not easy to type with one hand, I will lay down for a little bit now.  So long.
You might find this funny, but as soon as I come home I turn on the computer to be updated to see how you all are doing. The cruelest thing you could do is not report in, good or bad news. Praying for all good!!! When I read your blogs snowtree, i think that gal doesn't know how strong and brave she is. I am trying also to not watch the news. I am trying to see all the positive that is coming out of this. All things work together for good in Christ for those who love Him. And honestly I do believe there is a lot of good. Today my mother-in-law went to Wal-mart and was standing in line and the woman in front of her turned around and said what a lovely day it was, my mother-in-law remarked about all the food in her cart, and she said that she was making meals and putting them in the freezer for her family. My mother-in-law told her that I was doing that also because I was going to have surgery. The woman asked what for and she told her cancer and the woman asked breast cancer? My mother-in-law said yes. And the woman asked if she could pray for me. What she meant was right there right now. She stopped the line, the clerk stopped ringing people up, the customers bowed their heads and my mother-in-law said she proceeded to pray very loudly in the Walmart! How about that! Ain't God great, He can move mountains and stop the Walmart line!!!!!
So take heart we are not in this fight alone. We are all called to prayer warriors.
Snowtree take heart, Joy girl it is a roller coaster ride to which we have little control of. I will be praying as we all await results.
Take care
Funny indeed.  Isn't that woman strong and isn't she not ashamed of our Lord Jesus Christ, right there in public she actually confessed Him, wow!  maa64 your are wonderful.  I'm going to tell you an experience I had today.  Remember everything I had told everyone this morning about resting, I told JoyGirl, and forgetting about the house, yea right!!  If you want to make God laugh tell Him your plans.  Look, I laid down for a little while, alright, about 30 minutes the most.  My husband woke up weary, even though he went to buy dunkin donuts (I didn't asked him, he wanted to), he likes to be doing something all the time (he gets bored fast), so I felt bad for him, and even though he did the errands I wrote about this morning (he wanted to fly like a bird in a cage), so I told him "don't worry, I'm doing great, I will pick-up the kids at school, so he left, I know he felt bad, but everyone deals however they could, well, I've washed 3 washing machines full of laundry, I watched dishes gallore, I put all my paper work in files were they belong (remember my problem about being a minimalist), I don't blame him or anyone else, because he told me that I didn't have to do nothing at all, and I know that's true, but I'll suffer more thinking that tomorrow I have to wake up with a real messy house than to hurt myself (isn't this foolishness?   Well maa64, like I said before, you are a kind and caring woman, you will accomplish much in this world, that is not really our home, he have a home somewhere in heaven with no sickness, sorrow or tears, we have breast problems, but have you gone to other forums?  I tell you, I went to another the other day about other types of cancer and I almost cry, this is a sad world, but like JOYGIRL said is better to watch happy things, at least for a while instead of everything tragic and negative.  Bye for now, a friend in Christ.
I meant that we are pilgrims in this world, our citizenship is in heaven, I'm sorry if I don't make sense sometimes, due to the lack of rest, sleep and having taken a xanax in the morning I'm a little confused, like I said before I never take medicine for anything, but vitamin E and Primrose that I will found more info about.  Oh, my incision was mostly around my oreola, close to the nipple.  WHERE IS MY NIPPLE?  I HAVE IT COVERED HALF WAY, WITH A PIECE POTRUDING ON ONE SIDE, I washed the surrounding areas with a warm towel, I don't even know when I have to take the bandage out.  I asked, but you know what happens when you are a little under medication, meaning xanax, well, let me not complain, because it wasn't as bad as I thought, because I never had this kind of biopsy before, only the other kind.  Both were not painful, oh and if anybody here wants to ask a question about colonoscopy or endoscopy please ask me, I had them both in 2005, not painful either, I mean I didn't feel one pain.  From 1-10 biopsy pain is a 1 or less, colonoscopy is a 1, also, and endoscopy (in case you have a problem swallowing) is another 1, I thank GOD for ANESTHESIA.  Peace  and good will to all.
Well, I promised I would post, and unfortunately it is bad news.  I have non invasive ductal CA and invasive lobular CA and (as if that is not enough), the radiologist did me a favor and accidently nicked a lymph node on the way in, so they biopsied lymph tissue, and that turned out to be positive for CA as well.  I hit the proverbial jackpot of cancer!  Sorry to post this because I know this scares everyone who will come after me.  But.... I am feeling so strong and confirmed, I just had this very strong feeling that this would happen and I will be okay....  My husband is a rock.  My children do not know yet... We see a surgeon tomorrow to plan our next steps.  Will try to keep you updated.  Remember, I promised to post, good or bad... so I am the bad, the odds are that all of you will be the good.
Be Well,
Tam
Haven't commented here much but I have read all  of the comments. You have such a positive attitude. That and knowledge will get you through this. I am 1 year out. My surgery was August 25th, 06. You seem much stronger than I . I guess I am a big chincken. Yes I am. I am sorry. I know what you are going thorugh. There are so many ways now to fight cancer. You will get through this. Do you mind if I ask how old your kids are? Mine 6, 13 and 17. I do wish you well. Read everything you can. Knowledge is powelful and will be your healer. Let us know what your status is and maybe we can support and guide you through treatment.
How are your cardiac issues going? I know you were supposed to have another proceedure until you got that taken care of. Any progress?
maa - That is the neatest story I've heard in ages about prayer. And I believe so strongly in the power of prayer.

Tam - I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I love hearing about all the benign biopsies, but we do need a reality check because we all know that some biopsies do find cancer. I'm glad you're feeling strong, and that you have a husband to lean on when you're not feeling as strong since I'm sure you'll have a lot of ups and downs. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Snowtree - You're much stronger than you think. The way you support others at this site shows your strength. Praying for a good report. Please give yourself some rest and don't overdo it.

JoyGirl - I'm hoping and praying for a benign report from you today.

ALL - We all have high and low moments as we go through biopsies and wait for results. We're not looney, we're worried and stressed out women. I pray for you all.
Sorry to hear about your news.  Wow, talk about having a boulder dropped on you.  I appreciate your strength and know that your strength is a positive influence on all of us.  Glad you have such a supportive husband to help you through.  How old are your kids and what are your thoughts on telling them? I am debating if I will tell my kids when I get my results.  Mine are 11, 13 and 15.
Thanks for keeping us posted.  Your news didn't scare me, it actually gave me hope.  I have been so tired of waiting on calls, appointments and results that I told my husband today that I don't even care if the news is bad anymore, I just want to know so that I can move on.
Let us know what the surgeon says and what you will persue for treatments.
I will keep you and your family in my prayers!
Sorry, no results to report.  I started calling at 8:45 am when my drs. office opened this morning.  Called several more times throughout the day and kept leaving messages until a few minutes before my kids came home from school, at which time I finally got to speak with my drs. nurse, who told me they didn't have the results yet, so I called the hospital where I had the biopsy and asked them please to fax the results to my doctor because they would be closing in a couple hours.  When the dr. did the biopsy on Friday, he told me that he would read the results that afternoon and send the results to transcription and that my dr. may get the results on Saturday. And that if I didn't hear on Saturday, I would for sure on Monday.
Well, never heard a word back today.  It is so frustrating.  I took off work today and my husband went in late hoping to get results and be there with me before he left. Tomorrow I am working and if I get the results, I will be with clients.
Sorry for venting my frustrations but I had to wait 23 days from the time they found the suspicious nodule until I had the biopsy because there is only one dr. in the hospital who does biopsies and one nurse who schedules them and they were "using up" vacation days.  It has been two months since my problems began and I have to laugh at how the signs in the hospital are all pushing for "early detection". Well they may detect the problem but I will grow old waiting to find out the results.  Hopefully, I will be in a better mood and will get good results tomorrow.  I'll post the results as soon as I can.
Glad it went well.  Please try to take it easy and don't forget the ice.  Don't worry about the chill pill.  Just be careful about taking anything with aspirin or anything that could thin the blood til your incision heals.  Dont worry about telling the doctors if you took that because they would understand.  You are brave in my book no matter what!
Mine incision is almost completely healed.  I had to keep the gauze on for 24 hours, and the steristrips for 48 hours.  I kept the strips on an extra day because I was bleeding when doing laundry at the 24 hour mark. Because of that, I felt I should keep the cut taped shut a little longer.  I dabbed tea tree oil on the incision a few times each day and took the strips off this morning.  Now you can barely see where the cut was.  I am still pretty bruised, it looks bad but doesn't hurt at all.
I have to commend all the people that post in this site. I come here without any real-life knowledge of breast issues. I complain that I am a 36DD. After my mammogram and magnification I am grateful that GOD sought fit that I have the breast that I have. I am scheduled to have my core needle biopsy on Thursday August 30th. My doctor did give me a script for Xanax which I haven't taken. I don't like taking medication but I wanted it available for the biopsy if needed. The strength of the people in this forum is very impressive. I am not a prayer warrior but I found plenty here. I was lead to this site for a reason and I am grateful. To all the women I have you in my thoughts and I will post how the procedure went for me as well as the results of the biopsy. My children are 19, 17 and 15. We haven't told them yet. I don't know if I will tell them either way. I don't want them worrying about me. This is my only outlet other than my husband. I look forward to all the post and advice that this forum provides. Thanks to everyone who sees fit to share their experiences. Just waiting on pins and needles for my biopsy.
DemoNurse
Thank you so much for asking about me. Iwent for a stress test, had some unusual heart rhythms and was referred to a cardiologist. My heart rate was sky high even w/the xxanex I had taken for nerves. Had the appoint me with a wonderful cardiologist.He looked at my stress stress, cardiograms and listened to my pounding heart. He said he thought the very fast heartrate was stress related but ordered another stress test w/an echocardiogram. Went for that on Friday and the place would not do the stress test only the echo! Before I even got on the treadmill my heartrate was 125! Needless to say I freaked, came home called the cardiologist, who still thinks things are okay, it is all nerve related. I hope he continues to think that wasy after looking at my echogram. My nerves are shot. I hate the month of August!
I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You are very lucky to have strong support from your husband. As a single mom w/5 children (they are just a bit older than your three) I decided to tell them. I was amazed at their strength and support. They got me through a very difficult time. Only you and your husband know how and when to tell your children. My prayers are with you.
ziggy is right. Only you and your husband know what/how/if to tell the kids. My kids and husband happened to be with me the day I was diagnosed. They saw me break down, scared. It was amazing how it was to share this with them. We were all devastated. It was their strength that got me through. I could not have done it without them. My husband was my hardest rock. We have always been an extremely close family but that day we shared something that I can't put into words. They were 5, 12 and 16 then. You will get through this.
I want you to know, that I am here for you, I can't post more right now, because I am having my migrane (migraine) headaches, at the moment, I wanted to read a little bit, because you guys are like my family now, I love you all, but wait, I will post later or tomorrow.  Thank you all for being so caring.  God Bless Us All.  Snowtree.
My headache went away a little.  Let me tell you that I am sorry for your results, but that you seem to be so strong, having all the problems before and surviving them, you see, you must have goo health after all, I know in person a lot of women that have cancer in their breast and they are survivors, even 15 years later.  I used to work in a bank back in 1981 to 1991, my closest co-worker had advanced cancer, listen, in one breast then the other, they did surgery on her and she was perfect after that, traveling to Guatemala and on vacation all of the time, she was a strong woman, well, once long time after her (both breast cancer) she developed cancer in her pituitary gland.  She was friends through her brother with her doctor, and he gave her the results on the phone, next to me, just the two of us, when all of a sudden I hear sobbing noises, she tells me, the doctor just called and said the cancer is back again, she asked me smiling:  Did you see any tears in my eyes?  I said yes.  She said it was just a reaction, but that I wasn't going to see any other ones, promise, she said.  Truthfully, she had surgery and they put screws  in her head and what seemed to be a ornament circlet to cover them: I called her QUEEN ESTHER, everyday when she came in the office.  Listen :SHE SURVIDED THAT CANCER TOO:  chemotherapy, radiation and all.  End of story, just like my paternal grandmother that had last stage cervix cancer QUEEN ESTHER died close to 90 from diabetes complications, my grandmother from old age in her 80s, I saw Esther the last time shopping in a wheel chair at the mall, we both laughed together with her son, I said Esther are you still trying to look beautiful as always, and she had this loud laugh that makes to crack up, then a few months later she went with dear God.  Think of this dear one, is not over until God say it is, plus we are all praying for you, isn't that nice?  Why do you think you came to this exact forum, by coincidence?  I don't think so, I am 46, almost your same age, my results will be given to me in 2 or 3 days, and I promise I will tell myself the same things I'm telling you.  God will walk with you every step of the way, and sometimes He will carry you, so don't worry BE HAPPY!!    Snowtree.
Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.  I am STILL waiting.....
Will post as soon as I find out.  You are a blessing!
Well, good news for me.  Finally at 6 pm, at my wits end, I got a call saying the biopsy was negative.  I had convinced myself that it would be positive after my call to the doctor's nurse who told me finally that she had the results, after five days, but would have to have the dr. look them over first.  I had to wait five more hours til I finally found out.  Whew, I dodged the bullet this time.
They gave me no follow up instructions.  I asked if I needed to have a follow up mammogram or anything in 3 or 6 months, and they just said no.  I think I will wait two years til my next mammogram.  I don't think I could take going through this again. I agree that the waiting is worse than the diagnosis.  I am grateful that I have been spared any further decisions at this time.  I will continue to check into this discussion, and check in on all of you, and pray for each of you.
Thank you all for being here for me.
I was thinking, it would be nice for husbands to start a string of discussions on this forum to be able to share their feelings, fears, thoughts, especially for families who chose to keep the diagnosis to themselves.  We have this forum, they have nowhere to turn.  I thought of that when we got the diagnosis and my husband admitted that this waiting was driving him insane.  Just a thought.
Thank you and God Bless each of You.
Just something of my personal life:  My son (the one with the court problems) just got two tickets yesterday night, he ran a red light, and drove 80 on a 40 mile, also got into a fight with the brother of the girl, but thank God, nobody went to the hospital.  Let me breathe for a second.  JoyGirl, I feel sorry that you haven't gotten the results, it makes me mad that maybe they have it, but don't care that you are waiting anxiously for them, let's hope that's not the case.  About waiting 2 months for all this, I understand, I had my first biopsy on 7/6, didn't know the results until 7/27, called them and I'm embarrassed to say {gave them a piece of my mind, a big piece}, then they said I'm sorry, then I said {ok, I forgive you and the hospital for not caring about my breast}  life went on until I went to my second mammo and sono, then they found something, this time they told me the same day, {ok with that}, sent me to a ultrasound core needle guided biopsy on August 27, today is the 28th.  How many days from July 6 to August 28, {who knows, I don't want to count}, but you see how everything is a bureaucracy?  This morning I called the radiologist coordinator and asked her if I could leave the big gauze for 48 hours, instead of 24, she said yes, unless in sweaty, well is not, I washed it very well with soap and water in the shower and tomorrow I'll take it off, the little strips I will leave them for about 5 days, they start curling in the end and come out easily without pain, my husband is going to take out the big gauze tomorrow, I won't look.  Anyways, you are a great human being JoyGirl, we are eager to know your results, whatever they are you know you have friends here that care, and like you said {we won't tell anybody else}, we are here because we want to be, not because we have to, so you know this is GENUINE,  bye,     snowtree
You are so brave, first of all, let me congratulate you on your first year of surgery.  Every day we live is a gift from God,  {I want to tell you so many things, but my arm is hurting a little}, thank you for reading our comments, even one year later, I read yours too, and you bring light to this forum, please stay with us through all this we are going through, we can teach each other things, God put us together for a reason, August is not a good month for me either.  My beloved grandmother passed away on August 18th, 2001, and specially this year everything has been going bad {or so it seems for me}, I went to emergency this year with breathing problems, I thought I was going to die, I have a lot of personal problems, including a daughter in Iraq, life is stressful for me now, but if it wouldn't be for the strength that my Lord gives me I don't know where would I be, I was just telling my husband what I thought about a lot of things, and he was looking at me strangely, I told him how short life was and how hard it was, and at the same time how good God was, and that if I hated material possessions before {now I despise them}, that from now on I wasn't going to try to change anything, whatever will be will be, I got philosophical, lol.  It was so funny, my 14 year old twin daughter (being the most materialistic) brought me a bunch of shirts so I could give them to the poor kids, she just wanted to make me happy, I think.  It was a great sacrifice she made, but worth it, I want to instill in my children Love instead of Things, in Christmas I tell them not to give me anything, it was hard in the beginning and often that were mad at me, but I don't care, I am completely opposed to all this Thing oriented society that we are living in.  I didn't even found a reason for this computer that I'm writing in until I thought of an idea:  {I will use it to tell people about the Lord, something good has to come out , out of this}, and it has.  Well, once again, THANK YOU, and I hope you keep reading our comments and writing yours for many, many more years.  God Bless you!!!!!!!!!  Bye.
JoyGirl - They have no idea how painful it is to wait for results! Hooray for your diagnosis.

ziggy - Please keep me posted on your results. I hope your stress ends soon. Are you back to school? We start tomorrow.

DemoNurse - This is one of the few places we can talk honestly about our breast problems where people understand what we're going through. It's so importanat to be able to talk (write) about what's bothering us and get the support we need. Outsiders just don't understand.

snowtree - I love your comment, "We're here because we want to be, so you know this is GENUINE."  That is so true.
Sorry about the problems with your son.  You do not need all that added stress at this time.  Hopefully he is earning money to pay for his mistakes.  I think it makes teens think more about what they are doing when it costs them.  I am guessing that he doesn't know what you are going through right now.  You are a very strong woman and I know you will get through this just fine.  He will come around and realize that he will have to stop getting into trouble if he wants to get himself on track.  I know it is a very trying time.  Hang in there.  I am going to pray for your son, too.
Congratulations!!!!  I am so happy for you.  I will still pray for you and keep you in my prayer book.  You have been a ray of light to all of us here, we will surely miss communicating with you, please keep on checking on us, because we want to know how everything is with you, we care for you.  I will do what you told me about renting a happy movie, I like Christmas movies, I'm probably the only person renting Christmas movies in February and throughout the year, but that's me.  About my son you are so right, I love him a lot, but really, I want him to stop giving us stress, thank you for praying for him also.  I am happy for your husband too, he seems like he cares so much for you, just the fact that he was worried, I mean, is true what you say about husbands of wives with breast issues, they also need other people informing them, I mean, they know less than us about this issue, the only man that I remember from this forum is Marsha (the man that was worried about his wife), I wonder why never posted again, I hope he does.  JoyGirl, all these will teach us a lesson about life, how important are the little things that in a normal day we don't appreciate, it made me very sad when I read your post about taking you son to school, and even appreciating a long line, as long as you were there with him.  Now you will enjoy all the long lines for the rest of your life, lol, due to this.  I know what you mean, yesterday my twins wanted me to take them and three other friends to Burger King after school, in a normal day I would had said WHY DO I HAVE TO BE THE ONLY MOM THAT GIVE RIDES TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS?  Well, what do I tell you, "I said, sure, no problem, when we got there I chose to seat separate from them, so they can be themselves, and I was watching how carefree they were, three teenage girls and two teenage boys with no worries whatsoever, I heard their laughters and from far away I laughed with them, and all of a sudden this sadness came upon me, thinking, how precious this time is and all the others that I probably out of selfishness didn't enjoy, well I am learning to absorb all this teenage craziness with ease, I look at everyone in my house with this sadness inside of me, thinking, all the time that we've missed been mad, complaining, yelling, not listening to each other and I think of all the wasted times.  I keep on putting my life in order, until the Lord decides to take me home, I will learn to not get so mad like sometimes I do, I will learn to return phone calls, that most of the times I don't, and I will learn to put up with in-laws, that most of the times I don't want to see ever again, lol.  Well, friend, you have a little family here, anything that you want to talk about, please talk to us, and once again God Bless you.  A friend in Christ, snowtree.
Thank you for your beautiful message and words of wisdom.
I think we can all live better lives now.  We won't sweat the small stuff and be grateful for EVERYTHING in our lives - all the events, the people, the experiences (good or bad) and all the lessons life has to teach us.  This test has taught me a lot and I know that I am very fortunate that I will be able to get out of this cycle of testing and waiting and worrying.  I know that there are many women out there that will be in treatment and have to continue that dreaded cycle.  I will continue to pray for them.  Do you know what one of the most valuable lessons that I can pass on as a result of this experience and of some of my other life's lessons through my job which allows people to open up and confide their most private experiences?  
Always be kind to everyone, we have no idea what they are going through.  So many people are carrying around such terror in their hearts, such fear, and are so delicate.  I try to smile at everyone, and say hi to passing strangers,  because you never know what they are going through.  I tell my kids this all the time.  BE KIND TO OTHERS, while it is easy to say, it is not so easy to live.  If everyone on this planet would make an effort to be more compassionate, what a better place this would be.
While I feel I have been walking around in a daze this past month or two, I don't know if anyone else noticed.  I again am so grateful to have had this forum.
Thank you again for EVERYTHING.  Are you expecting your results today?
I will be back to check on you!!!!
This will be my last post. I got news today that they will do either a partial mastectomy or a full. I just don't want to write anymore and someone see my outcome and have them panic. I just have more to go through than the average person. They are moving very rapidly also. Went for my appt. this morning and tonight I have a MRI, bloodwork and soon I have to get into the plastic surgeon. I will definitely have chemo. So I will be a busy little gal, the next few weeks.
So my prayers are with you all.
I check on you all from time to time. Take care.
I'll be praying for you a lot, it was a pleasure to know you, even if it was only in the computer.  May God truly bless you.  maa64, I promise to you that as soon as I wake up every morning you will be the first person that I'll pray about, at least I am going to do this from August 30 to September 30, is a promise, my friend.  Please keep in touch, since we all want to know about you, we all care for you, and wish you the best.  Rembember always dear one, that you are special to God, He is sad seeing what you are going through, but rembember always that he is Almighty, all He have to do is snap a finger and everything will be back to normal.  maa64, I have a feeling that you are stronger than you think, you are so special maa64, I got to know the strong side of you, and you are (sound like) a gentle soul.  Fight the good fight of faith, may He bless you and give you peace that only you will know, may He be the hands of your surgeon, the One that counsels you throughout all this and the One that makes your chemo work perfectly with no side effect, beloved, please let us know whatever you are going through, we want to see your outcome, we want to know about it, don't matter if we panic or not, this is about you now, not us, we all have to deal with whatever our destiny puts in front of us, but with Him and us by our side.  My love goes to you.  Snowtree
Waiting how it goes tomorrow,  I took my xanax like have an hour before the biopsy, even though my husband told me to take it 5 minutes before, no, no, that is too close.  Demo, I promise you that is not going to hurt, at all, my other biopsy back in 2003 was done without any medication, and it didn't hurt either, both biopsies were different, one was facing down, the other up, no pain involved, the reason that I took the xanax is because I hyperventilate due to chronic breathing problems, since I was a little girl, I breathe through my mouth, therefore, I might be tempted to move a lot.  You are going to write back tomorrow and see that what I am saying is true.  Listen, I took the bigger bandage today, after exactly 48 hours, instead of 24 like they say, the little strips I will not take out today, I will take them out in 2 or 3 days, my other biopsy was like this:  the little strip are all the same, ok, they start coming out at the ends little by little, but if you want to take them out early, please do, make sure you ask your radiologist, and go by what he tells you, is the best.  Demo, put ice the first 24 hours, like for 10 min. every hour, protect your breast from the direct coldness of the ice, make sure you don't sweat a lot, maintain your breast clean, I showered normally, soap and everything, but please like I said before, ask the radiologist first.  I will be praying for you, for your results as well.  Bye for now, snowtree.  Don't type too much the day of or after the biopsy, because this I'm noticing my whole arm is hurting a lot, due to the typing, only because of that, so let us know, but on your own time, relax, rest, be happy.  Happy face to you.
DemoNurse: Good luck with the biopsy.  It REALLY does not hurt.  I got numbed with a local first, no problem.  The worst part is waiting for results.  Stay on your doctor to get you the results right away.  If you don't hear, call.  Just take it easy and use ice.  I froze ice packs that I made from snack sized ziploc bags.  Then I wrapped them in  a paper towel and put it right over the spot.
You will do fine, please don't worry.  You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Snowtree: Keep us posted on your results.

Maa64:  Please come back and let us know how you are doing.  I really am concerned for you.  I agree with snowtree, you won't worry us.  We each have our own path.  As you said yourself, the cruelest thing we could do is not report in.  I know you will have challenging times ahead.  When you feel up to it, let us know how you are.  You helped me through a very trying time and I would love to be there for you, too.  Good luck to you and know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers always!
Thanks for the prayers. I had not seen the results so I called my doctor and asked her to fax me a copy of the results. I just had the courage to read the results of the mammo today. It reads "diffuse normal appearing dense fibroglandular breast tissue without evidence of architectual distortion or assymmetry. In the lateral aspect of the right breast is a cluster of very small microcalcifications that measure 6x6x6 mm. No evidence of associated mass. Tissue diagnosis is recommended. Category 4 Suspicious for malignancy".

I will be going in for the stereotactic biopsy tomorrow at 1:00pm. I will be taking my Xanax about an hour or so before the procedure. I am very terrified. I went to work yesterday but it was difficult. I have spent most of the time in bed. I haven't been able to workout since the mammo last friday. My husband will post for me tomorrow to let everyone know how it went. They said that I will be prone on the table with my breast through a hole. My husband can't be in the room because it's too small so he will wait just outside the room for me. Then all I can do is hope for the results on Friday.

Snowtree thanks for the reassurances. I am very intolerant of pain or anything that may resemble pain/discomfort.

Please pray for me. I will be praying for all of you. Still waiting on pins and needles.
DemoNurse    
You are lucky that they are moving quickly for you.  Remember that most of the biopsies are negative as mine was, and I was a BiRad class 4 suspicious abnormality.  The waiting is really hard but know that we will all be thinking of you and with you in spirit.  You will get through this.  Let us know how you are doing.  This is a wonderful place for you to vent and to find support.  I will be praying for you!
I am scared!!!!!  My name is Carol.  I had a mamm, they saw something then I had to go back to get magnification.  What they saw were micro calcifications.  I guess theirs a cluster at 3:00 left breast.  I am going Friday 9/7 for a stereo tactic.  Gosh, when I got home tonight, I had a letter of referral to a general surgeon.  I have been very edgy and scared for these 2 weeks and that makes me even more nervous. You might say Im beside myself.  Im just curious if theirs a chance that clusters can be begnign too?  I had a friend at work offer to go there with me next Friday and that set me off in tears.  Can you tell me anything to calm me somewhat?
This forum is for YOU! We can't be a support for you if you don't post and let us know how you're doing. Also, iIt helps others to hear about your treatment and provides important info for them. Please do not feel you're scaring others when you provide info. We all need a realistic picture of breast problems. If only people like me, with benign results post, that is not a true picture. At the same time, you will be busy undergoing treatment and may not have the time or energy to post and we certainly understand. I will pray for you. God be with you through your treatment.
I'm praying that your discomfort will be minimal tomorrow. I tend to get stressed pretty easy and find I can't do a normal exercise workout when I have troubling breast issues, either. I've started doing 15-20 min. of deep breathing exercises each day to get in the habit of setting a calm mood for myself.  I was very upset over work related issues last night when I went to bed. As I focussed on my  breathing and happy events in my life it really calmed me down. It still took me 2 hours to go to sleep (and that was after taking Tylenol P.M.) but at least the anxiety and tears stopped.

Please tell your husband how much we appreciate that he will post for you tomorrow. God be with you.
Sorry you have to go through this. It is upsetting to hear we have breast problems. Around 85% of microcalcs are benign. I personally have had 2 benign biopsies for microcalcs. Of course, some are cancerous. They just can't tell from mammogram, so a biopsy is the only way to get accurate results. Did you get a copy of your radiology report? It can help you put together a list of questions to ask the surgeon. I'll keep you in my prayers.
I can tell you about the cluster, because I've been having a cluster of micro calcification in my right breast almost 10 years, since 1998.  In my case is a mole inside my breast, and if I look at all my films I can even see it myself is like oval shape, with a lot of little round or oval shape inside.  Also, I know a lot of women that have micro calcifications that have been benign, don't stress over it, I am waiting for the results of a solid mass that measures 8, Birad 4, let's see.  Nobody can tell you for sure until you get your biopsy results, but all I can tell you is that there has been a lot of benign clusters of micro calcifications, I've been having mammograms since I was 27 years old, and I'm 46, I've had so many weird and different things in my breast, I had a biopsy of my left breast back in 2003, and it was benign, they didn't answer me like for 3 weeks back then, then they call me to go and see the doctor for the results forget about the phone, I think now is different, and after waiting almost 3 weeks and thinking that the doctor was going to tell me cancer, he told me to seat down, then he looked straight at my face and told me that it was benign, after I went through that I can go through anything, so once again, the days are coming and going so fast that you are not even going to feel it, (waiting until 9/7), the biopsy does NOT hurt at all, believe me.  Is nice meeting you and take care, keep posting.  Snowtree
One more thing, the reason that sometimes they send you to a general surgeon is because you could ask her or him more questions, that surgeon probably specializes in breast, I also went to one and she examined me and asked me questions to see if I should or should not have a biopsy, that is a normal procedure for some doctors (gyn), normal doctors don't know what the surgeon know, they are experts in breasts.  Bye.
Thanks for the info.  I know I should be in bed but I think right now, I need to type.  Thank you for telling me its normal procedure and the dr that sent it is a gyn, and it was written like "based upon the info provided, the insurance company medical group has approved referral to the following Dr, blah blah.  This authorization is a conformation of medical necessity only and in not a guarantee of eligibility or benefit coverage.  Authorization for General surgeon consultation is valid from 08/27-11/25/07.  It just took me aback because I havent done the biopsy yet and even though Im new here (glad I found it), I tend to panic alot (can you tell?).  I have high blood pressure and I dont take it for that reason.  Couple years back, Id take it and then Id panic because it was high.  Id take it 2 minutes later it was higher.  I worked myself in a tizzy then drive myself to urgent care and guess what?  Theyd tell me it was high too.  I guess this is part of the "normal" procedure for this gyn then.  I was going to call him tomorrow to ask him why I got this and I havent gone for the biopsy yet, but I guess I wont now.  You saved him Snowtree!!!!
Did you ever experience a peeling or dry itchy nipple?  Any blood?  That has been my symptoms & like you, I started having MAM's at 27 & I will be 46 this year.    My last showed calcifications in a straight line which my doctor said concerns her.  I only saw two almost a half inch apart.

I had the stereotactical needle biopsy today to no avail.  They just couldn't get the calcifications.  And the marker wouldn't stay.  They did get surrounding tissue & are hoping it is enough of an indicator.  They mentioned I may be asked to come back in for another test.  I have a family history.  My mom was diagnosed at 49.  I have a hematoma.....kind of sore.  The procedure was not all bad.  I am just scared......not knowing what to expect.  My doctor said she would call me this coming Tuesday to let me know their findings.

My nipple symptoms concern me.

Thanks!
joan    
I have never had a peeling  or dry itchy nipple, nor blood, but I have weird nipples to begin with, because they look a little bit to one side, and is very noticeable, my orela became very large after the birth of my first child in January 1983, then the outer part of my left oreola is very short and the right is much wider, my nipples have like a lot of milk ducts, like little, little bumps (I would say), then also my nipples are very large, my breast size is either 36 C or 38 C, normal size, I guess, after breast feeding my first daughter I started developing like little black heads, one was very large and seemed like I had a little rock in there, and I wise very unwise and decided to pinch it with all my might and made a hole that I'm needed plastic surgery after that, lol, but I just cleaned it afterwards and I developed a scar there the size of the biopsy, but no problems due to that at all.  Like about 10 or 15 years ago, I'm not sure I saw I had a tiny hair around my nipple and I decided to put "nair", the cream that some people use for facial hair in my nipple (yes, incredible!!!!), I did this almost everyday for about 3 month, not even reading that you should never put it in your nipples, I developed a growth the size of a quarter, it got pink, hot, big, but I decided not to tell anybody, my husband noticed, but man don't know about this so it didn't concerned him, well that was long time ago, before that in 1987 I had a another child, one year after that I started having mammos at 27, at 31 I had twins, then my gyn told me that I had a lot of estrogens, and if I had more babies, I would probably never have one again, but only multiple births, it runs in my family and just the fact that I had them already, so I went ahead and tied my tubes, then after that my breasts have been behaving worst then never, even though I breast feeded my twins, kept my nipples as clean as I could, so I only blame everything with the breasts to STRESS, nothing else, unless all those crazy things I did came to hunt me later, I wouldn't know in this life time.  Welcome you you this forum.  A friend in Christ.
Dear maa64, just like I told you I would, I prayed for you first thing in the morning, I asked God for your healing, for a miracle, an abundance of strength and mighty faith.  God bless you my friend.  Snowtree
I think you should see the surgeon before the biopsy, only for the fact that she will explain everything the way it is, why you should have it done, and most importantly she or he will check your breast thoroughly, she will check under your arms, underneath, everywhere, she found a thickening under my right breast that didn't even showed in the mammo, but she told me not to worry, because it was normal for women after 40, so I don't have to follow up on that one.  Thank God.  Bye for now.  She and her nurse even gave me a bear hug, and wished me well.    
I was thinking last night what a great person you are, that you are always so concerned about all of us, but I like to know if you need me to pray for anything, because you seem to me like the kind of person (that you don't find nowadays) that like to listen, but don't interrupt, you have so great inputs, and you are well informed in all, let us know how everything is with you, and please, never leave us, because your help and support are very important to us all here.  God Bless you!!!!!!!  Snowtree.
I hope you are reading this:  I want to know how everything is with your heart, breast, stress, whatever problem you have, thank you for reporting your one year mark.  CONGRATULATIONS!!  How is the xanax going?  Do you have to take it on a daily basis?  My husband started having a lot of stress after my daughter was sent to Iraq, the doctor asked him: What would you like to live with better, the stress or the side effects of xanax?  I don't really agree with any medicine, to tell you the truth, but I am not oblivious to take it if I have to, only you know, because only you know what you can deal with, my mother takes almost all the medications in the market, I don't know what kind of stomach she has, because she has never developed an ulcer, she believes that if something hurts, specially her nerves that she will take whatever it is, I mean, she even did it while pregnant with me, she even had to have special tests to make sure that everything will be ok with me, because she exposed me to harmful stuff, but God wanted me here for some reason, so here I am 46 years later, I'm amazed, lol.  Well, ziggy I just don't want you to ignore the side effects of xanax, be informed and I pray to God for Him to heal your heart problems and blood pressure.  So long for now.  A friend in Christ.
i didn't tell you, the doctor took the 98% cure rate off the table. my husband and I just cried and cried and cried last nite. everytime i go to sleep, i almost make it to slumber and then some terrible horrible thought comes into my head. i won't have a breast for 3 - 6 mos. i forget why they are not reconstructing immediately. they are not sure if the cancer spread. had to go to the hospital for a mri of my breasts. if anyone has to do that it is not bad at all. they shoot dye into you and then put you in the machine for 30 min. I am not scared in closed spaces. if you are you might want to take something. i am going for a second opinion today. i was completely without hope yesterday after talking with that surgeon.
thank you for prayers, only thing that keeps me going today.
Thanks so much for the time you took to share =) I am happy to have discovered this forum page.  

I am still searching to see if anyone else had nipple symtoms (symptoms) I have.  I thought they would go through the nipple when trying to get a core sample.  Instead they went through the breast tissue.  

Thanks again

I feel really badly for you.  I have imagined how horrifying it must be.  It is really important for you to force yourself to think about some happy things.  Try to get your mind off of it once in a while.  Your body needs a break from some of this stress.  Watch a funny movie and try to lose yourself in it.  I really believe in positive energy attracting positive things in your life.  There is an author named Louise Hay who offers affirmations for people that are illness specific.  For breast cancer, she believes that we are holding onto resentments and that we must release any resentments that we have either toward ourselves or toward everyone else.  She had breast cancer and took no treatments and is cancer free now.  As soon as I realized that I had a good chance of having cancer, I started working on that, just letting go of anything I hung onto, any baggage, and really in my heart tried to forgive the people in my life who I felt I blamed or felt wronged me.  It lifted a tremendous amount of weight off my shoulders.  I truly felt so much better afterwards.  Another emotion that she relates to breast cancer is overmothering and caring for others instead of yourself.  She recommends going inward and letting go of the need to control others (such as your kids/family) and putting more emphasis on achieving a balance of nuturing yourself and others.  
I know right now you are forced to put yourself first because your condition warrants it.
Try to let go of any unforgiveness, anger, resentment.  It will make your journey easier.
It will lighten the load as crazy as it sounds.  I really benefit from her work.
Did the doctor give you any cure rate figures?  Focus on the percentage that is curable.  Know in your heart that you will be on the lucky side of the statistic.
I know it is going to be  a long hard journey, but you are very strong and have a strong husband by your side.
You and your family will work through this.  I know it will be hard waiting for the reconstruction but it will eventually happen and you will feel better about that.
I am glad that you are continuing to post. I will continue to pray for you and your family.
Blessings!
Have you gotten your results yet?  I am praying that they are negative.  God Bless You.
No, I have not received any call from the hospital yet.  You are a joy indeed, you have make me feel so good about what you just wrote, about holding resentments, yes, I do hold a lot of resentments that I as a Christian should let go off, I've been hurt by a lot of close people to me.  One thing that I learned though,is that I would never do again is letting a friend of mine come too often to my house, I put limits, and like I said before I do not have any friends outside of this forum.  Thank God for all of you, because here we say the truth, and we don't talk behind anybody's back.  Nor do anything behind our backs, like a traitor.  Let me go on saying that you have a lot of wisdom, keep writing things like that because you made my day today, I was down and now I feel positive, down because of exactly what you said, a lot of resentment, people tell me that I am very sensitive, I wish God will change me, but my mistake is that I give too much of me and most of the time I don't get much back, not because I'm expecting it, but because I think is the right thing to expect, I don't care about myself most of the time, I look like a bad word, I should do as you say JoyGirl, take care of myself a little more, and about controlling other, I let that go long time ago.  Bye and thank you, a friend...snowtree
Today I was praying for you exactly at 1:00 p.m. I hope everything went good, I hope that nothing hurt, I hope that your results come back benign, and also I wanted to tell you, that today I finally took the two strips that I had in the incision, I took them out in the bathtub when I was showering not bathing.  They came out easily, no pain at all, the first bandage I took out exactly 48 hours later, also I did something stinky I haven't used deodorant ever since the biopsy, I don't want to put nothing there that could by any chance go to the incision, but that was my invention (not the doctor's order, she will probably think that I am gross, lol.) tomorrow I will start using deodorant again for the sake of everybody that is around me, I don't smell that bad though, just a little, I'm trying not to go anywhere, but everytime that I do I change my shirt, just in case.  DemoNurse, just so you know that you are important in this forum, tell us tomorrow (don't work that arm today) how it went, or if your husband can tell him to let us know your experience with the biopsy, we are getting so used to all this that we might as well become radiologists, we'll be great at it, but this is a great big family that we have here, God Bless us all, I pray that His grace falls upon all of us, because we all need it, whenever I receive my results I will let everyone know, I think my husband wants me to call because he is eager to know, specially because he sprained his ankle two days ago pretty bad, and he is bored, lol.  But everyone is a world of its own, and I am a weird one, I say to myself, if is bad news I could enjoy one more day without the news, if is good so be it, my husband told me if is bad news than I will have one day ahead to get a cure, but if is bad than I'll be a day behind.  No!!!! I will hear me this time and the Lord of course.  Lately my worry button is out of order, the only thing that I am worried now for is my daughter in Iraq, yesterday night, at 11:30 p.m. for us, she called me crying hysterically, I thought something happened, she was having like a nervous break down, she didn't hear from her fiancee for two days (he is in another part of Iraq) and she was sobbing like a little girl, it almost broke my heart, is so hard for everyone over there, she will be coming back in November, God willing first.  Well, I'm sorry I've been so self centered for a little, I really worry about you and care about your prognosis, we all do in this forum, so stay resting, relax, take it easy, pray a lot and think a little.  Wishing you the very best.  A friend in Christ...snowtree
You see what I tell you, even though everything is going bad now (so you think) one thing is positive, you are not afraid of closed spaces, most of the people are, another positive thing is that you have a husband that care for you, a lot of women don't, another positive thing is that you have us that are praying for you to heal completely, other people don't, and one more positive thing and the most important one is that you have An Awesome God in which you believe, a lot of people don't have hope, because they don't believe.  God Bless you maa64, I will write to you in a little while again.  snowtree
My wife had her biopsy today. She took 2 extra strength tylenol, 1 xanax and a benadryl before the biopsy. She literally slept through it. She said that she didn't feel any pain. She was able to ask the radiologist questions although her speech was slow and slurred. I wasn't allowed in the room but I did see that she laid on a table. She requested a blanket because it was cool in the room. The procedure took about 1.5 hours and she was done. She has an ice pack in her shirt and she is sleeping mostly. She denies any pain and said that she didn't feel any pain during the procedure. exceot for the needle that was used to numb the area. She did say that there was a sound from the vacuum that was startling from time to time. That was it. I want to thank everyone here for your support because she feels that this is a forum where people understand where she is. I try to comfort but it's this forum that she has also found comfort. She is sleeping now and we will take it easy tonight. Tomorrow depending on how she feels we will take the kids to the State Fair. We have decided that our lives will not revolve around the results. She has consistently thought that the biopsy would be the hardest. We pray that everything is normal but we are prepared for a different result. We are praying for everyone out there who are facing this same predicament. Have a great night.
I am so glad that she slept through it, tell her please to rest her arm, I've been using it a lot and have some pain going up and down, tell her that we are here for her, to support her and pray for her, not to fear, we are all friends and understand each other very well.  If she has any question, she can ask us anything, each of us know already a  lot about each of us, that's good.  Thank you so much for letting us know how your wife is doing.    Good night, snowtree.
I understand that you are going through hard times now, but we want to go through them with you, do you want to tell us something?   Just like with maa64 I will pray for you from today to September 30 first thing in the morning, I just want to see you both smiling again, both of you seem to be strong enough to go through this, I don't know how I will react when I get my results, don't know them yet, we'll see.  I had a lot of problems with them reaching me to tell me that my mammogram was abnormal, but I don't want to get into this again, it makes me mad.  Anyways, both of you are carrying a basket full of lemons now, but remember that those lemons can be made into lemonade, God can change everything, there are so many women out there that have survived this disease.  Let me give you some statistics of breast cancer:  from age 40-49, one out of 68 women will have it, from 50-59, one out of 37 will have it, and from 60-69, one out of 26, but the lucky (blessed ones) are the ones that know they have it and can be treated with chemo, radiation or whatever method the doctors use, the unlucky ones are the ones that think they will never get it and decide not to have a mammogram, look at the statistics, how it goes up with age.  There are 26.4 million of breast cancer diagnosis worldwide, and each year another million will hear the same words you heard, albeit in many different languages.  Evaluate all the treatment options, and begin treatment, for sure get a second opinion.  Some degree of fear, depression, and panic is normal, you'll probably face all of these on a regular, sometimes daily, basis.  Know that your diagnosis has not turned you into a walking corpse, no matter whether you've been told your cancer is treatable or terminal.  Today you're alive, and you can stop, think, and act on your own behalf.  Don't make assumptions about where you are headed until you have more information.  Maa64 and Tammie, I don't really know what both of you are going through, but I am trying to put myself in your place, and imagine how I would act, if my results come back positive, I am not asking you to do nothing that I would not do, I will apply all these to myself.  Good night.  I will post tomorrow again, ok.  Snowtree
You're very wise to go for a second opinion. Is your pathology also being sent for a second look? You have so much to deal with. I wish I could just reach out and give you a big hug. I will keep you in my prayers.
Tell her to be careful at the fair.  I would not take any rides that have a shoulder bar across or that toss you around.  She will need to give the incision a day or two to heal.  The next day after my biopsy I was doing laundry, digging through the pile, lifting the wet jeans from the washer to the dryer, etc. and just that motion caused me to bleed pretty heavily through my shirt from the incision.  I really don't think it would have happened if I didn't jump right back into 'normal' activities.  Make sure she has ice on it tonight and knows that we are all thinking and praying for her.  Bless you for coming here and taking care of this for her.  This forum was so important to me during the whole process.  I had a birad class 4 also, and it was negative.  I still come here to "talk to my forum friends".
May I recommend you create a screen name and a post of your own "For husbands/significant others", It would be nice for you to be able to talk about it with other guys, from a male perspective.
Carol - everytime I have something suspicious in my breast my doctor sends me for a mammogram, ultrasound, and appointment with a surgeon. She always tells me if the radiology center tells me it's nothing, I can cancel the appointment with the surgeon. But setting up the appointment ahead of time I save a few days of stress waiting...

snowtree - I've had 3 benign biopsies but continue to have problems. Everytime I go for a mammo the radiologists disagree on whether to do a biopsy or 6 month follow-up. Based on my previous biopsies my surgeon (plus a second surgeon) recommended 6 month follow-up. I was very stressed about each of those biopsies and know how difficult it is to have nobody to talk to that understands. That's why I keep posting here. I'm a teacher and school started this week, so I won't be able to post as often, but I still like to check in  and hear how everyone's doing.
Sorry about your hurts.  Forgive those people, realize that they were coming from a different place in life than you and you may never understand why they did the things they did.  In their own way, they were doing what they knew how to do.  Accept where they are coming from, and forgive them, and learn whatever you can from the situation so that your life is better. Really try to let it go.  Yup, let it go.  Sounds simple but may take some work.
I agree that this forum is a place to speak the truth.  I think that is part of the reason we all feel so close to one another.  No one is trying to impress each other, it is OK if we cry while we type, no one sees....  It is just a private place where we can come and be at peace with each other.
It is refreshing in these challenging times, isn't it?
It was so nice of your husband to let us know how your biopsy went today. I'm glad it went well and will continue to pray for good results.
Prayed for you again this morning.  I feel for you and wish you the best.  God Bless.  snowtree
Prayed for you too, this morning.  I asked God to do a miracle and fix your wounds, to give you strength and make your body whole again.  God Bless.  snowtree
How fortunate you are that you had 3 benign biopsies.  When are you going for your next mammo?   Let us know as soon as that happens so we can pray for you.  No wonder you are so smart (you are a teacher), now we know.  In my report card you get an A+.  Let us know always.  snowtree
You and your wise words.  What a truth, is ok if we cry while we type, no one sees.  You are a soothe in my time of affliction.  Keep it up.  Wise us up.  Thank you for staying with us  We need you here my friend.  snowtree
How are you doing this morning?  Yes, be carefull in the State Fair, no injuries please, just seat down in a place and eat all the goodies while everyone else get dizzy, lol.  Just kidding!  Have fun, but take care of yourself, don't injure that arm, try to rest as much as you can.  I've never seen a messier house than mine today, dust everywhere, the carpet needs to be vacuumed, clothes needs to be washed, bathroom needs to be cleaned, and I don't feel like doing much, but right now I'm taking care of myself first.  I ask God to do a miracle and at least let me not see it as bad.  Write back whenever you have a chance.  Salute your husband from me.  snowtree
My philosophical side of me:   HOW VAIN IT IS TO SIT DOWN TO WRITE WHEN YOU HAVE NOT STOOD UP TO LIVE.  Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.  AS IF YOU COULD KILL TIME WITHOUT INJURING ETERNITY.  Cultivate the habit of early rising.  It is unwise to keep the head long on a level with the feet.  By:  Henry David Thoreau
I have decided to take you all along on my journey. You will learn from my mistakes and you will gain hope from my victories. First as far as holding onto resentments, I go to a counselor a mentor actually I call him my Yoda. I was extremely hurt by something that happened at my church. He has taught me a lot. I am fortunate to have him in my life and by my side. I am blessed. I spend about 1/2 to 1 hour each morning with God. I read Psalms, then Admit or confess sin, request (prayer requests and then thanksgiving. Then I read Old testament, new testament and proverbs. So I don't really think I am holding onto resentments, but I will spend time with God and ask for revelation. Thanks for the hint. As a mother I am not sure how to balance the giving to others syndrome. It something God placed into all of us. But I go to my counselor today and I will ask Yoda, to review that.
I went for a second opinion and this man gave me hope. The first doctor was a professional saw me as a patient. She started out with how far the calcifications are spread, then proceeded, to talk about partial mastecomy - the whole way to masectomy. Since my breast size is so small (only a B) she felt my breast would look better if it was removed since such a large portion had to be taken away. Then in 3 - 6 mos. a reconstruction would take place. Also she told me since I am so young 43 I would definitely have chemotherapy. Also that she had a lot of tools to use since I am so healthy, (yea right, I have cancer get real). That since it is estrogen driven, we could remove my ovaries, and we would give me the drug tamofin (spelling) and that would block all estrogen. She was going on a full frontal attack. She informed me that I would probably go into early menopause, which meant hot flashes, vaginal dryness and other things.
This was just TMI for one day. Satan had me on the fast track to as much as human hell one could take.
My doctor yesterday, told me that it isn't his decision to do chemotherapy, it is the onocologist. A blood test reveals that. Plus he works with a team of doctors and every Wed. they review all the cases in the office and will make decisions collectively. He told me he will do everything he can to save my breast first. If that is my desire. He said until he has the MRI of both breasts he won't go over any options. FACT: 85% of calcifications in women's breast are benign, the fact that I am in the 15% is unfortunate but I am in an EARLY stage of breast cancer. Very curable, but he needs to know all the facts before he can give me a diagnosis. He made no promises, but assured me he is in the business of saving women. He loves his job and loves saving people. Each time he gave me bad news he counter with something positive or stopped and allowed me to get on board, gave my mind time to cushion the blow. He felt bad about my hematoma. He was just so compassionate. The other doctor maybe better, I don't know but if I go into this without hope I know my prognosis is not as good. The lesson, this is your battle, and it is a battle if something in your gut (in my case - God is directing me somewhere else) tells you something is wrong - move on. Find your soldiers carefully because we are the generals in this battle and God is the commander in chief. If it is moving too quickly, MRI's, plastic surgeons, etc. ask if it can be slowed down. Your brain just can't take all this info. in, process it and make good decisions. And please find those prayer warriors to pray when you can't. This is the most important thing, you need to break through Satan's plans for hell in your life, he came to steal, destroy and kill. If you can't pray find someone who can!
Take care all. Thanks snowtree and montana girl for your prayers. I feel that we feel out of control with this diagnosis and we go with whatever is decided for us which makes us victims, I stopped being a victim and my new doctor is giving me time to make some decisions. I felt out of control but God was in control the whole time. I am definitely learning to lean on Him wholly.
Let's make believe that we all have cancer, and let's make believe that we all have not.  We are always too busy to make believe.   Most of us find ourselves re-evaluating our lives and our priorities once we begin to accept or diagnosis.  Let's take advantage of this urge and think about our lives.  Evaluate your goals and your values, and set your sights on what you need in order to be happy.  Don't give your life to this disease.  Try to maintain as many of your normal routines as possible.  Keep going to the gym, and don't stop watching happy movies (as JoyGirl says).  Stay as active as possible, and keep your eyes on the prize, you still have a lot of living to do.  Learn about healthy lifestyles.  All these things will help us take control at a time when it may feel like we have no control(God is in control, always), let's give ourselves a brake.  We might need oncologists, nurses, social workers, and psychologists, but we really need us.  We might even want to get a third opinion about our treatment options.  If the doctor minds (TOUGH LUCK, DOC), these are our bodies that God gave us and we ultimately own the decisions about what happens (NOT THE DOCTORS).  I have an idea to help us be organized:  WRITE THE PHONE NUMBERS OF ALL YOUR DOCTORS, HOSPITALS, INSURANCE COMPANY, WHATEVER ON A COLOR CODED PRINTER PAPER, CUT IT AROUND THE PHONE NUMBERS AND BUY YOURSELVES SCOTCH GROSS FINISH TRANSPARENT TAPE (Walgreen's have it)  AND PASTE IT ON YOUR REFRIGERATOR (DON'T WORRY IF IT DOESN'T LOOK PRETTY, WHO CARES!!!!!  It's very convenient, accessible, you don't have to be looking everywhere saying ( where is that stupid number now, lol.)  I do this with all my important numbers, no one likes it here, but you know what?  I am the one that have to be calling the pediatrician, the school, the insurance company, etc.  A few more things:  My husband have to cousins with breast cancer, they were diagnosed this year.  One from the 40-49 group, the other from the 60-69 group.  Each of us has some info. that others might not know.  Cancer is no longer necessarily a death sentence.  It is, however, likely to be the fight of our lives.  Rock singer Melissa Etheridge, and pop singer Kylie Minogue, and many, many other famous people have been diagnosed with this disease.  Do you know that 87% of us survive breast cancer five years after diagnosis, that is a promising prognosis.  The will to live does play a part in the outcome.  Even if we ever die of this disease, let nobody say that we went easy, no one will ever say that we lost the battle to cancer, we are going out a winner, regardless.  
So yes, just the fact that we are women we are in danger of developing breast cancer.  Let's keep our mammos in a yearly basis, no matter what.  And yes, unfortunately we have to believe the doctors (radiologist) whatever that when they see something kind of weird in there, that we should do whatever it takes, pain and all to catch it on time.  Come on, I used to be one that said "I have faith in God and I don't need doctors, if God wants to take me, so be it", but you know that someone opened my eyes and straightened me out by telling me that I WAS TEMPTING GOD IN WHAT I WAS DOING, THAT IF I HAD THE FAITH THAT I SAID I DID THAT I WOULD GO TO THE DOCTOR AND DO THE TESTING AND HAVE FAITH THAT IF GOD WANTED TO TAKE ME HE WOULD STILL DO, THAT I WAS USING THAT REASONING BECAUSE I WAS REALLY SCARED, AND THAT IF MY CAR BROKE, HOW COME I TAKE IT TO THE MECHANIC, IF GOD COULD FIX IT, INSTEAD, THAT IF ANY OF MY APPLICANCES BROKE (THE SAME), EVEN THOUGH I'VE HAD APPLIANCES THAT HAVE BEEN FIXED THROUGH PRAYERS, BECAUSE I HAVE HAD THE MONEY TO FIX IT, yes, miracles do happen, I've seen them too much in my life to say that they don't.  But, God want us to be pro-active (Not to help Him, because give me a break, He doesn't need any help from us), but just to see that we appreciate the breath He gives us, that we just don't take it for granted.   Well, friends I won't be writing anymore today, because I'm only getting two to three hours of sleep time, and I have the darkest circles around my eyes, I will try to lay down for 45 minutes, at least.  Write to you soon.  God Bless All Of Us.  snowtree
Forgot to tell you. Be very careful I urge you to get a second opinion when the surgeon talks about removing your breast. This surgeon told me that he gets paid more from the insurance company for a full masectomy and it is much more easier to remove the whole breast, than try to save it. Less time, more money. This is a fact that must enter in when making your decision. If you really want to try to save your breast, you must find a surgeon who agrees with your philosophy. Some women would rather have the whole breast removed because you can't get cancer in something that isn't there. I just would rather not be parted out. But that is my decision.
I know all about dark circles and lack of sleep. Last night was the first night I really slept since I got this terrible diagnosis. I will pray you will sleep like a baby.
I am so glad you have decided to stay on board with us.  I am also grateful that you went for a second opinion and found the new doc who you can relate to.  He sounds so much more compassionate.  Maybe he is the answer to our prayers. Hope is so important right now as you know.  I remember a plague my friend had hanging up in her bathroom (of all places), but it said, "Keep your face toward the sunshine, and all life's shadows will fall behind you."  I can't give credit to the author but that just popped in my head and I felt compeled to share it.
God bless you as you work through the details and the decisions.
Viewing 1-200 comments: