Breast Cancer Community
Suspicious Mammogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Suspicious Mammogram

I had a mammogram done in June and I received a letter recommending further evaluation. They was some concern about my left breast. I mom had two sisters that had breast cancer and that has died. My dad has had four first cousin that had breast cancer and two of them has past. I may be over reacting a little bit, but is there any advice to give me a better understanding of how this works.

This discussion is related to hypoechoic nodule with indistinct margins.
From personal experience, I can tell you that, at this point, the family Cancer history has far less to do with the recommendation to evaluate... but, it probably has everything to do with the findings of the June mammogram.

If something abnormal and suspicious was noted in those mammogram results, you probably would have been advised to return for some form of diagnostic testing, i.e. compression mammogram, an ultrasound... etc. But, definitely something other than the conventional mammogram that you already had. This is so the doctor(s) can have more or a clearer visual sense of what might be deemed as an area of concern.

In other words, it doesn't mean that Cancer is present. It means that an abnormality is present and warrants further investigation. Keep in mind, that many abnormalities are of a benign, non-Cancerous nature.

Take care, "i"
*clarification... first sentence should read:

"... the family Cancer history has far less to do with the recommendation to evaluate... but, the recommendation probably has everything to do with the findings of the June mammogram.
Try not to worry about having additional views done (and maybe an ultrasound too).   It is all part of a standard "work-up" from an abnormal screening mammogram.   Once something looks different (or abnormal) from previous mammogram images, a radiologist will recommend additional views.  Was this your first mammogram or not?  Regardless, being called back for additional imaging is not unheard of, and you really should not worry.   Most call backs are for clarification that there is nothing to worry about!!  :)  
And if additional imaging is "inconclusive", they may recommend a needle biopsy for confirmation.   If this happens too, again....please try not to worry!!  Most biopsies are benign and not a problem.......
take care!
Your profile says that you are a 43 yr old male. If that is the case and that many people in your family have had breast cancer have you considered getting the BRCA testing done? A genetic counselor could assist you to determine your risk regarding breast cancer and other types of cancer related to BRCA mutations.

Best wishes.