Breast Cancer Community
Suspicious R5/U5 Mass Lesion - Very Worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I had a mamogram (mammogram) and Ultrasound on a large palable lump found in my right breast.  I am due to go for a biopsy next Thursday and then have to wait another week for the results.  The report stated "Corresponding to the dense mass lesion and the clinically palpable lump, there is a solid sonographic mass lesion just to the right of the nipple which measures up to 4.9 x 2.6 cm.  It appears to extend close to the retroareaolar area.  Conclusion:  Suspicious R5/U5 mass lesion in the right breast."

My mother also had breast cancer at my age, but her lump was only the size of a pea.  As you can see this lump is very large and I'm extremely concerned about it.  The report doesn't seem to give a lot away, and was hoping someone could shed some light on this wording for me.
There is really not much to explain about your Mammogram and Ultrasound report.
Since you live in New Zealand the wording "R5/U5", is the equivalent of BIRADS categories used by radiologists in the USA and Canada.
BIRADS is a quality control system,used by radiologists after interpreting mammograms,ultrasound and MRIs.
This system allows radiologist to categorize the findings by numbers.The scores go from 0 to 5.The higher the number the more suspicious is the abnormality.
Your BIRADS score is 5, meaning that the mass detected in your right breast is highly suspicious,but only a pathology analysis of the tissue extracted can render a definitive diagnosis.
I can understand your concern and I hope that your biopsy results will reveal something other than breast cancer,which sometimes can happen even with a BIRADS score 5.
Wishing you all the best...
Thank you for your comments I saw the breast surgeon and had my biopsy yesterday, he said that it was malignant but of course until the results of the biopsy can not say much more.  So just sitting back waiting at the moment.  This site is great it is nice to have somewhere to go for reassurance and information so I know when the biopsy comes back I can get some informed information about it.
Hi again and thank you for the update.
Not knowing what you are dealing with and waiting is most definitely the hardest part of all.
It sounds like your Surgeon is being very up front with you,preparing you for the worst but I am sure that he is also hoping for the best as we all do!
I pray and hope that you are one of the 5 % or more,that gets a benign result!
Please keep us updated and we will all try our best to get you through this difficult time.
Best of luck to you!
My biopsy report came back and unfortunately it is invasive ductal cancer.  Im scheduled for my surgery next Friday (2nd Nov) I'm having a Central Breast Excision and an Axillary Lymph Node Dissection.  My emotions have been pretty much out of control to be honest, and at this point just want to get it over and done with.  I was wandering if anyone had any good tips on how to deal with getting over the surgery, I have three children and the youngest is 4 so am concerned about trying to care for them whilst trying to recover from surgery.  I'm doing my best to get everyone prepared, and also trying to organise child care for when I first come out of hospital.  But would really like to hear from someone who has been through this procedure so I can get some idea of the surgery recovery time.  I realise that surgery is just the beginning, but if I can start getting my head around that at least it is something.
Thank you
Hi again,
I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis! :(
But please don't despair,I am very hopeful that you will be able to fight this disease successfully like many of us did.
Just take one step at a time and  follow all the recommendations given by your treating doctors.
When I had my surgery,things went well for me.I rested as much as I could because I felt a little achy and tired due to general anesthesia, but after a few days I could function normally.
Pain medication will be prescribed when you'll be back home,but fairly soon only a couple of Tylenol might do the job.
Before you leave the hospital,you will most probably get a post- operative instructions pamphlet that you'll find very useful. Don't be alarmed if you notice bruising over your breast,this is perfectly normal and gradually it will disappear.Wear a sports bra over the bandages and apply ice packs over you breast to lessen pain and bruising..Rest is very important while you are recovering, and planning things ahead of time,as you are doing ,is a very wise idea.Get as much help as you can from friends and family and  remember not to lift heavy things or drive your car until you feel back to normal.When your surgeon says its okay,you can start doing arm exercise to prevent arm and shoulder stiffness.
I hope that your surgery will be uneventful and wishing you a prompt and complete recovery!
Hi, Maria,
I also wanted to add my good wishes to you and let you know I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer. Please try to stay positive even though it's hard. Breast cancer treatment has come a long way and your chances of NED (no evidence of disease) at  some point are high. Zouzi gave you really good advice and it sounds like you're preparing as much as you can. Please take her advice and get as much support and help as you can from your family and friends. People really want to feel they're helping, so let them.You didn't say how old your older children are, but if they're old enough, your kids will also want to help make things easier on you if they can.
I'm wishing you all the best---an easy surgery and quick recovery. Please let us know how you're doing if you wish by adding a note to this thread. We do care and we'll be thinking of you.
Sending you a big hug from Michigan, (             ),
nc
Just to let you know I had my surgery yesterday and am back at home today, was not as bad as I was expecting.  My surgeon did mention to me that he thought I would have to have chemo due to the size of the tumour as well as radiation treatment.  Will have my pathology results back on 13th November so will let you know the outcome then.  Thank you for your kind words and support.  Also I am very big breasted - an F cup and at the moment I can't wear a bra does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about support just after surgery if you want to go out and look semi decent in public.  
You welcome and thank you for the update.
Glad to know that your surgery is over with and that it went well for you.
When I had my lumpectomy I wore a soft cotton sports like bras that snapped in the front.It's important that the fitting be snug but not tight.
Please copy and paste the link below .Many women talk about bras they wore after a lumpectomy and you might get a pretty good idea on what to buy and where to buy them.

http://**********.************.org/forum/91/topic/729862

Good luck finding a suitable comfortable bra and I wish you a prompt recovery.
All the best!
Hi again,
I am sorry that the link I included in my last comment was deleted.This occurred because Med Help policy does not allow us to provide Website links.But you can search on Yahoo or Google by typing "which bra to wear after lumpectomy ?"
However if you cannot find a suitable bra in the stores,our community leader Japdip has given, sometime ago,a very good advice to a poster to consult a qualified bra "fitter" where mastectomy supplies are sold.
I am sure you will be able to find the size and the best fitting bra you need.
I hope this help...
Hi, Maria,
I'm glad to hear your surgery went well and you're making a good recovery. It's always good when things aren't as bad as we expect, and fortunately, that happens more often than we think. I don't have any more information about bras but zouzi gave you some excellent advice and I hope something works out for you in that regard.
I'm sorry to hear you'll need chemo and radiation, but if that means you can get to NED, I know you'll do what your have to do. If you try to keep a positive attitude and stay strong, you'll get through it as so many women have. I'll continue to hope for the best for you!
Hugs
nc
Thank you for your kind words and support, strangely enough I found a lingerie shop which supplies mastectomy products 10 minutes from my house, I popped out today and got a really comfortable sports bra, which is fantastic, a bit supportive and a bit soft, I also went and met with the NZ Cancer Society who were also very helpful and are able to help with transport to and from chemo and radiation treatment as I live over an hour away from my local hospital.  I'm slowly chinking away at it now and I am hopefully starting to come to terms with it, the tears are less, and I'm feeling more positive about making it through this journey.  Thank you again for your kind words it is nice to have somewhere to come to to discuss and ask advice.
Especially while I'm still go through the waiting process.
You welcome Maria,
So glad you found the bra you needed as well as transport for your treatments! .
I can surely empathize because I felt the same way when I learned about my diagnosis, but I am sure you'll make it through this difficult journey,like many of us did.
Most of us are overwhelmed at first and need time to come to terms with our diagnosis.The important thing is to take one step at a time and follow our doctor's recommendations.
Write down any questions before meeting with your doctors and it's a good idea to bring a friend or someone close to you along to appointments for support and to act as another set of ears, because it's possible that after a few  minutes you might miss things your doctor is telling you.
I am glad that you are feeling more positive now, because it will certainly help to manage your fears and have a smoother road on your cancer journey.
Wishing you successful treatment and prompt recovery!
Glad to hear your feeling more comfortable, Maria!  You hang in there and keep that positive attitude. Good luck with your treatments and please let us know how you're doing from time to time if you wish.
Hugs,
nc
Thought I'd keep you all up to date and also ask for your own experiences I had the pathology report back and it is stage III with cancer being found in two lymph nodes from 7 tested.  My surgeon said he was very happy with the result and said that he had been able to get the entire mass out with good margins.  I start Chemo mid December then radiation treatment after that, just wandering if others can give me ideas on how Chemo was for them - bad and good and how they got through it.

You welcome Maria,and thank you for the update.
I am happy to know that the cancerous lump in your breast has been completely removed and clean margins were obtained! :)
Now, regarding treatment,it's really hard to say what you can expect from Chemotherapy.Each patient has different experiences.It depends on the regimen you'll be on, the amount of medicine,the length of treatment, and your general health.The side effects you may have could  be quite different from someone else who is on the same regimen.We know that all drugs have side effects but it's very.important to tell your doctor and oncology nurse about any problems you might have. If medicines aren't controlling the side effects, your doctor or nurse can help you find something that works.Also when your doctor will decide on your chemotherapy regimen, he/she can give you an idea of the side effects you're likely to have.
Hoping that all goes well for you and again wishing you all the best!...

P.S please remember this expert quote:
                                     "Expert Quote".
"If you have problems with symptoms, they can be improved. You should call. I get very upset if someone says, 'I was throwing up,' but they never called. I hate that, because we could have helped them, if we had known".
Maria,
Zouzi has it exactly right---everyone is different and everyone's response to drugs is different. I saw this often in my nursing practice, so it's very true. Just be sure and follow her advice and advise your treatment team of what's going on specifically with you. Try to focus on the fact that your treatment is limited and will end and your goal is to be free of your cancer.
Wishing you all the best and sending you another big hug!
nc