Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Suspicious lesion in right breast, multiple bilateral lesions

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I'm 26 years old with a past history of thyroid cancer.

3 months ago I found a lump in my right breast and ended up having an ultrasound to check.  They found 2 solid hypoechoic lesions that were probably fibroadenomas but couldn't confirm, they recommended repeat ultrasound in 3 months time.
I had that ultrasound done last week, but this time both breasts were checked.

BILATERAL BREAST ULTRASOUND

There are two solid lesions present in the right breast.  In the 9 o'clock position, 2cm from the nipple, there is a 16 x 15 x 5mm diameter oval solid lesion with well defined margins.  In the 11 o'clock position there is a 7 x 6 x 5mm diameter rounded lesion with diffuse internal echoes.  The appearance of the larger lesion is consistent with a fibroadenoma.  The appearance of the smaller lesion is less typical of a fibroadenoma, it's exact nature is difficult to state with certainty.

In the left breast there are two adjacent oval solid lesions measuring 5 and 6.5mm in diameter present in the 2 o'clock position.  In the 7 o'clock position there is a larger oval lesion measuring 10 x 5mm.  The appearance of each of the three lesions within the left breast is consistent, but not diagnostic of fibroadenoma.  There is no evidence of a sonographically suspicious lesion elsewhere in the left breast.

Conclusion:  There are three solid lesions present in the left breast and two solid lesions present in the right breast.  Most of these have an appearance consistent with a fibroadenoma.  The lesion in the 11 o'clock position of the right breast is not typical of a fibroadenoma, its exact nature is uncertain.  Ultrasound guided biopsy is recommended for confirmation.

My first ultrasound also said that the suspicious lesion had a  "heterogeneous echogenicity".

If it's solid, does that mean it can't be a cyst?  And if it's not a fibroadenoma, can it only be cancer?  Also what does "diffuse internal echoes" mean?

Thankyou for your help!!
Dear Cocomadam,

It is very important to know the details of your previous thyroid cancer (age, stage, treatment given).

Now, coming to your breast lesions, I feel that your age and characteristic of the lesions on USG suggest benign lesion like fibroadenoma.  Your physician can get better information by palpating your breasts on Day 5-6 of your menstrual cycles and following them over a few months.

To answer your specific questions:

Solid lesion indicates that it is not a cyst. Cyst has fluid in it which is either thin or thick.

Diffuse internal echoes mean that the consistency is not uniform. But, there are many other lesions other than fibroadenoma which are benign (like lipoma or fibroadenosis).

Hence, although I feel that there is nothing much to worry about at this point, please follow your physicians recommendations for an ultrasound guided biopsy to be sure of the nature of this lesion.  

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Indranil Ghosh