Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Swollen gland in right breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Swollen gland in right breast

I am a 52 year old female diagnosed recently with a swollen gland in my right breast.  My mother past at age 67 with breast cancer and two of my sisters have had uterine cancer.  My questions are I have a swollen milk duct/gland thats 4cm.  what should be done about it?  My surgeon says, the swollen duct/gland is nothing to worry about.  Is that correct? I have had a begin lump removed from that same breast in '96 and presently have a lump to be removed in the left breast that the surgeon says it feels like fatty tissue that has calciated. I also have Fibrocystic Breasts. I don't want to go to surgery now for the left and have to go back later for the right breast or even greater cancer.  I have heard that cancer can form in the mlik ducts/glands too. Is that correct? If I need both done now I perfer them done now. Hope you can help.
Dear Pat needs help:  Ducts may swell (or dilate) for a variety of reasons, most of which are benign.  The cause of the swelling would determine the treatment options.  Cancer can form in the milk ducts.  In fact, ductal cancer is the most common form of cancer.  Much of the testing (mammograms, ultrasounds) can help differentiate a benign problem from a
cancer.  Your doctor will be best able to explain the results of all the tests that have been done and the proper course(s) of action.  Of course, if you are concerned, a second opinion is always an option.