Breast Cancer Community
Swollen lymph nodes and lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Swollen lymph nodes and lump

Hi everyone- I have had a swollen lymph node in my neck for over a year. I had an ultrasound done about 2 weeks after my old doctor first noticed it. The ultrasound was normal and nothing more was done. It has now been a year and it is still swollen and tender. But as the ultrasound was normal, I didn't really worry about it, until now. You see, I found a breast lump in my left breast last week (the swollen node in my neck is also on the left side). I went to the doctor two days ago, who then found 2 more lumps in my breasts, 2 of which she believes are swollen lymph nodes. She ordered blood work, which I have done and ordered a biopsy of the node in my neck. I am still waiting for that appointment. I am 36 yrs old with no history of breast cancer in my very large family. Any thoughts on what could be plaguing me? I have no other symptoms, no fever, no weight loss, no night sweats. Just the painless lump and swollen and tender lymph nodes. All on my left side. I'm really scared but want to be fully prepared. Thanks.
Intramammary lymph nodes are not uncommon,and mean nothing unless they were noted to be abnormally enlarged or look suspicious on film produced by mammograms or Ultrasound.
Enlarged lymph nodes don't necessarily mean cancer.When there is an infection or inflammation somewhere in the body, lymph nodes may enlarge.
Since the lymph node in your neck is persistent, with no symptoms of fever,then a biopsy, as your doctor recommended,could be very helpful for a correct diagnosis.
I don't think you have reasons to worry too much about the Intramammary lymph nodes,but I am sure your doctor will discuss with you if they need to be further investigated or just monitored to make sure that they do not enlarged to much.
Hope this helped a little and please do keep us posted,using this same thread.Thank you and best wishes...
Thank you for your comment. I have an ultrasound of both breasts scheduled for Wednesday. As my results come in, I will post more. Thanks again. Fingers crossed!
You're welcome!
I will keep my fingers crossed also, and lets remain hopeful that there is nothing there to worry about .
Good luck! :)
Just came back from seeing my doctor and it turns out that I have multiple simple breast cysts in both breasts. As for the swollen lymph nodes, she suspects that the node that has been swollen for a year is irritating other nodes in the chain and recommends removing it. I'm ok with that. In the meantime, I'm to take anti-inflammatory meds.

Th relief I feel is immense. Your mind can play nasty tricks on you when you dont yet have answers. I know I am one of th lucky ones. You women on this site are so incredibly strong. I willl continue to think and pray for all of you.
Hi again,
I am really glad that nothing serious was there...that's a big relief !
Simple cysts are quite common and harmless, but make sure you have regular screening as recommended by your doctor to check for any changes okay?
Avoiding foods and beverages containing caffeine, such as coffee, tea, chocolate and dark sodas,can decrease water retention and may help shrink the cysts and alleviate discomfort if you have breast pain.
All the best and congratulations on your benign findings! :)

P.S Thanks for your prayers,we all need them...