Breast Cancer Community
Symptoms??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Symptoms??

Hi, I am a 20 year old female, and the only known medical "problems" that I am aware of today is that I have a fatty liver (besides seasonal allergies, occasional HBP, and a low vitamin D3 count in the past that I am now taking a vitamin for everyday). For about a year and a half now, I have been getting pains in my right breast on and off, but more recently (the past 6 or so months) it's been pretty consistent along with new pains: lower back, back of neck, under my rib cage- all on the right side, which are also pretty consistent. They only other problems that seem like they could be a problem are fatigue, new thickening spot in breast, and stopped period (which I think is from stress). I have a request in for an appt. for a breast exam and an appt. with my gyno, for those problems, but for the other pains I have I've already gone to the ER for (about 1 month ago now), and all that they said that it is, is bone/muscle pain and that's when they found the fatty liver (stomach ultrasound because they thought it was my pancreas- which they couldn't find, a chest x-ray, blood tests, and an IV for fluids, was what was done that day in the ER). My question is, could it be breast cancer??? My mom was diagnosed at age 32 and passed away at age 37 from bc, and I can't have the BRCA I/II test done until I am closer to the age of 25 (to be approved for better preventive testing), so I don't think Drs. will take me seriously because of my age for further testing... so right now, I more so need some advice. Thanks!! -Kelly
Your many symptoms don't relate to breast cancer that I can see. If the stopping of your period is from stress then most everything else could be also as your post indicates that you might be rather easily stressed. Even if you were positive for the BC gene that usually only indicates that routine checking
(mammogram / ultrasound) would begin earlier than the usual age of 40. Monthly self exams are always encouraged and yearly Clinical exams including either Mammogram and/or Ultrasound are the norm. In your case (age 20) I would think Mammogram would be less than valuable but Ultrasound could be done even now and probably should be since you mention a thickening of the breast tissue. Breast pain is rarely associated with BC but can certainly accompany the back, neck, rib pain you seem to be having. You might consider an appointment with a Breast Specialist since you are concerned more about the breast issue and are afraid that you won't be taken seriously. I'm sure with your family history someone specializing in breast issues would give this matter adequate consideration and could also advise you as to what should be done and when as far as future testing. As for now a simple Ultrasound would show any abnormalities in the breast tissue.   Regards ....
Hi, thanks for writting back, i will look into finding a breast specialist and see if i can maybe have an ultrasound done in the meantime. thanks again!!