Breast Cancer Community
TRAM flap complications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

TRAM flap complications

I am 51 year old woman who was diagnosed with Stage 1 breast cancer  in December 2005. I had a combination mastectomy/TRAM flap procedure the next month. It was only supposed to include 1 more surgery for nipple/areola reconstruction plus a nipple tatoo. That did not all go as planned because I kept getting encapsulation problems necessitating additional surgeries to correct. In Jun. 2007 I had my left breast augmented to match better the side which already received a saline implant due to shrinkage of the flap previously operated on. Both implants at the time were changed to silicone gel (previous repairs had necessitated use of a saline implant to augment flap shrinkage). I am very frustrated as I just had surgery in June to correct ptosis of the left breast and severe encapulation in the right. I regret ever having gone this route. I feel deformed. I do not know anyone who has gone through this. I need help with deciding what to do next. I will not return to the doctor who has done all these procedures.
I have no personal experience but if you are "done" with the Surgeon who did your reconstructive work then I would suggest that you find another Plastic Surgeon who might be able to correct your situation or at least improve things drastically for you. I'm sure you are not alone in dealing with these complications. I hope you can find another Plastic Surgeon who will be able to help you ..... Kindest regards.
Thank you for replying to my post. I already plan to call another plastic surgeon Tuesday. I am just hating that I have gone through so much already and will probably need another surgery at some point to undue this "mess".
I'm glad you are going to see this new Plastic Surgeon. Unfortunately we have heard too many stories here that are similar to yours. One never knows how the body will respond to any type of surgery since we are all different and unique. I truly hope that the new Surgeon can improve things for you and I applaud you for not giving up and forging ahead to obtain a much better result. Our hopes, prayers and good wishes are with you ..... Take care