Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Taking off my port

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Taking off my port

I had my left breast removed for stage II bc (one lymphnote involved) in September last year. I have a Port for 8 sessions of chemo. My last chemo was done in the end of Feb. 2004. When will be the better time to take out my port?
Dear Jing:  The port can be removed anytime you want it removed as long as your blood counts are okay.
I had my left breast removed April, 2002.  Aggressive cancer stage 3,  14 nodes out of 15 removed were positive.
I still have my port in.  My chemo oncologist wants me to keep it in because if it is taken out,  and has to be put in again later, it is hard to get it in right sometimes.  There may be scar tissue.  Of course my prognosis is worse than yours.
I have gotten used to the port and I hardly ever think about it.

I am now cancer free  27 months since the mastectomy.
Praise the Lord!