Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Tamoxifen & Hysterectomy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Tamoxifen & Hysterectomy

I had a lumpectomy 2 years ago with MammoSite Radiation and have been on Tamoxifen for 2 years.  I am 54 years old and my periods were still pretty regular before the Tamoxifen. When I first started on the Tamoxifen my periods stopped for about 6 months and then started again about once every 3 or 4 months with the last one being quite heavy.  I have also had some vaginal discharge clear to yellowish in color with some smell - no itching or pain.  My gynecologist is recommending that I get a total abdominal hysterectomy since I am still having periods.  I had a D&C last year and had a benign polyp removed.  Just had a trans-vaginal ultrasound 2 weeks ago and everything was fine. My gynecologist thinks that I should not be having any periods at all at my age and because of the chance of uterine cancer with the tamoxifen he feels that a total hysterectomy is the way to go.  Just looking to hear other opinions.
Dear MB721:  The challenge of intermittent periods in the setting of being of menopausal age and on tamoxifen is that even though the risk of uterine cancer is low, it is there and it becomes difficult to know which bleeding is menstrual or whether it should be evaluated for cancer.  A hysterectomy is one option but there may be others.  You might want to discuss the situation with your oncologist to see what he/she thinks about the best approach.