Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Tamoxifen and the eyes?
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Tamoxifen and the eyes?

I have completed 8 chemos and am ready to start six and one-half weeks radiation.  I came through chemo pretty well.  Except my eyes watered so much I have not been driving in traffic for fear that I might have an accident. They are recently getting better.  (It has been 5 weeks since I completed the chemo treatments)

I thought I would wait until radiation was over to begin Tamoxifen, but I now find that I will take the tablets during radiation.  
I have been looking up information about side effects of the Tamoxifen, and I see on MedHelp site that there is a warning of taking the tablets if I have eye problems now.  It specifically mentions cataracs, and then goes on to say and other eye problems.
I have a fast growing catarac on one eye that I am waiting until chemo and radiation is over, then I will  go to get the catarack removed. (It was on the eye before I started chemo)
Now I am very concerned with taking the Tamoxifen for 5 years.  I need your input on this matter. I certainly do not want to get worse eye problems taking it,  but then, I do not want to increase my chances of recurrance if I do not take it.  I am a high risk patient. One of my friends had a retina detachment while on Tamoxifen, and she has been saying that the Tamoxifen caused it, but I doubted it.  Now I do not know!  Perhaps it did.    Please comment.  P.S Does Tamoxifen only keep from a recurrance in BREASTS?