Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Tamoxifen effects on blood glucose levels

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Are weight loss and drops in blood glucose levels side effects of tamoxifen?  I had a lumpectomy for DCIS one year ago and have been on tamoxifen for 10 1/2 months.  I started taking the tamoxifen in the evenings; however, I found that I wasn't sleeping well, so I began taking it in the mornings.  I find that if I do not take it with my breakfast or immediately after, my blood gluclose levels drop sharply.  In addition, since March of this year I have lost a total of 12 pounds, 8 in the last 5 weeks.  I am 5'4" and now weigh 105.6 clothed.  
Dear  AZGolfer57:  Weight loss has been reported uncommonly in women taking tamoxifen.  Hypoglycemia, however, is not a documented side effect of tamoxifen.  
Do you have Diabetes? Your comment is of interest to me, since, now that you mention it, I am wondering if my own blood glucose levels don't also fall as a result of taking the Tamoxifen at night. (in my case)

I hear most people complain of weight gain from the medication. I also, though, lost some weight.
Oh, and PS: I also had to lower my thyroid replacement dose as a result of taking Tamoxifen.
I don't have Diabetes, although I have had hypoglycemia for years.  I am waiting for results of some blood tests to see what they may show.