Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Tamoxifen vs phytoestrogens

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Tamoxifen vs phytoestrogens

Hi, I am 45 and was diagnosed with Estrogen positive breast cancer (1,8cm with cancer-free lymph nodes) in february 2003.  I have gone through a lumpectomy, chemotherapy, radiotherapy and I am now taking Tamoxifen.   I am concerned however about the side effects of this drug, namely the risks of contracting endometrial cancer as well as liver cancer.  I understand that the reason for taking this drug is to inhibit my estrogen receptors in my breast, however can this not be achieved in a natural way, without the side effects,  by eating tofu, and soya products on a daily basis?
and by  adopting a healthy diet?
Thank you for responding to my question.
Dear Wonderful:  The risk of endometrial cancer is about 1% higher than regular risk.  The risk of liver cancer is even lower than that.  The benefits, however, are many with respect to reducing recurrence and second primary breast cancers.  Eating tofu or other soy products is actually not a way to block estrogen.  In fact, large amounts of these products is contraindicated in women with breast cancer.  Whether the estrogen is natural or chemical it is still estrogen.  By eating large quantities of soy, you are potentially providing estrogen to your breast tissue.
I am a bit confused as the information I am getting from different sources is contradictory. In all the literature that I have read on the subject, the phytoestrogens contained in tofu and soya products act as estrogen receptor inhibitors like tamoxifen.  Also, these products are recommended as a cancer prevention method.

Once I have gone through the operation, chemo and radio, am I not considered cancer-free and therefore could I not adopt this natural way??

A related discussion, Phytoestrogen and Tamoxifen was started.