Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Tamoxifen
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Tamoxifen

I just had my Tamoxifen refilled and they put a new label on the bottle.  Certain Herbal products could alter the affect of this drug.  
I go to GNC and get Q10 and Cell Protector.  Now I'm afraid that
I should stop taking them.
can you clarify?
thanks so much!
Ann
Related Discussions
Dear Ann, As more and more people are using various herbs and herbal products, we don't have alot of information about how and if these substances will interact with medications.  A good practice is to make sure to keep your doctor informed of any over the counter medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements so if there is some known interaction you can know to avoid it.  Another resource is to ask your pharmacist.  

In regard to tamoxifen herbal preparations such as black cohosh, or **** quai are to be avoided in estrogen-dependent tumors (this is because of some of the estrogen like properties noted in these products).

3 Comments
Blank
call your pharmacist and ask him/her exactly what herbals will affect it.
Blank
My pharmacist said do not take tamoxifen with grapefruit or calcium.  He said the calcium tends to bind up with it (and other drugs) and makes them less available for your body.
Blank
A related discussion, Herbal interaction with tamoxifen and calcium was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank