Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Tamoxifen

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Tamoxifen

I just had my Tamoxifen refilled and they put a new label on the bottle.  Certain Herbal products could alter the affect of this drug.  
I go to GNC and get Q10 and Cell Protector.  Now I'm afraid that
I should stop taking them.
can you clarify?
thanks so much!
Ann
Dear Ann, As more and more people are using various herbs and herbal products, we don't have alot of information about how and if these substances will interact with medications.  A good practice is to make sure to keep your doctor informed of any over the counter medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements so if there is some known interaction you can know to avoid it.  Another resource is to ask your pharmacist.  

In regard to tamoxifen herbal preparations such as black cohosh, or **** quai are to be avoided in estrogen-dependent tumors (this is because of some of the estrogen like properties noted in these products).

call your pharmacist and ask him/her exactly what herbals will affect it.
My pharmacist said do not take tamoxifen with grapefruit or calcium.  He said the calcium tends to bind up with it (and other drugs) and makes them less available for your body.
A related discussion, Herbal interaction with tamoxifen and calcium was started.