Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Taxotere side effects

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Taxotere side effects

I have some late-breaking side effects from taxotere.  I have completed all my chemo treatments for breast cancer (6 treatments) and now I have a great amount of fluid buildup throughout my body, plus severe aches in my legs and arms.  My doctor has given me a water pill which helps somewhat.  

Do you have any suggestions for how to deal with the aches, and how long might I expect this to last?

Thank you.
Dear Sam1101, generalized aches and pains can be a side effect of Taxotere.  In general the further you are from treatment the side effects of treatment improve.  The time frame for recovery after treatment varies between individuals.  I am providing you a link to a website called Chemocare.com (www.chemocare.com).  There you can look up the medications as well as common side effects, and information regarding side effect management strategies is available.  Here is the link to the area that discusses achiness in the muscles, bones and joints: http://www.chemocare.com/managing/muscle-pain-myalgias.asp.

Be sure to keep your oncologist aware of your symptoms.