Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Taxotere

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Taxotere

I just had my first out of four chemotherapy treatments with Taxotere.  I had to take 2 steroid pills twice a day, the day before, the day of and the day after.  The reaction to the steroids was horrible, I felt out of control. My question is what is my reaction to the Taxotere if I do not take the steroids?  Is there any other meds that can counteract the reaction that will not make me feel so out of control?

Thanks,

Betty

Dear Lizie, The reason steroids are given is in case of an allergic type of reaction with the infusion, there has been a high enough incidence of this type of reaction in the trials of Taxotere that the steroids have been made part of the protocol.  Our oncologists here do various things in regard to the steroid use.  Some start off without using the steroid and only add it if it seems necessary.  Others will try tapering back on the steroids with each dose of the Taxotere.  Discuss with your oncologist the possibility of adjustment of your dose of steroids.  Do not make the adjustment on your own without your team (doctors and nurses) being aware of this, they will need to be able to monitor with you your reaction, based on any alterations.
I had mastectomy 2 years ago and finished chemo one year ago in November. Approximately 3 months after the chemo I noticed a body tremor. After being in a clinical trial and consequently receiving a higher total  dose of Taxol, I looked up tremor on the internet. One report stated that a rare reaction to Taxol is Parkinsonism. Now I cannot find that site again and I did not print the information at the time.
  I realize that all the information is not in on this trial, but wonder if anyone else has had this reaction or knows of information on this type of Taxol reaction.
  When I was receiving the Taxol my body would jerk but I was told that this was the Benadryl. I do not find that as a reaction either.  W0ould appreciate any information. Gramma B
A related discussion, Taxotere & Tremors was started.