Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Thickening of dutcal wall

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Thickening of dutcal wall

I am a 31 y/o f with a strong history a bc in my family. Mother passed at 59,2 maternal aunts and 2 maternal great aunts. 2 years ago in Oct 03 I discovered a lump and at the sametime I found out I was pregnant. I was sent for an ultrasound and was told it was due to hormones and if it doesn't go away to come back. I went back to have it look into and this doctor said it was a normal thickening of the duct in my breast. My general surgeon referred me to the high risk breast clinic because he wasn't familiar with that and with my history he wanted to have it look into more.He wanted to see something on the ultrasound like a cyst or growth and since he didn't thats why he referred me. I agree with him and glad he did what he did. But my question to you is do you know where I can find info on wall thickening? I can not find anything on it anywhere and what causes it. I have breast fed all 4 of my children. There is minimal change in the lump. Same size but did get a little firmer. I appreciate you help. Have a great day!
Dear nicpoo74:  Many women have changes to their breast tisse through their lives that may be termed fibrocystic breast conditions (sometimes referred to as fibrocystic disease, fibrocystic change, cystic disease, chronic cystic mastitis or mammary dysphasia).  This is not a disease, but rather, it describes a variety of changes in the glandular and stromal tissues of the breast. Symptoms of fibrocystic breasts in the breast include cysts (fluid filled strutures), fibrosis (formation of scar-like connective tissue), lumpiness, areas of thickening, tenderness, or breast pain. Though sometimes painful, fibrocystic breast condition is not cancer. However, fibrocystic breasts can sometimes make breast cancer more difficult to detect with mammography. Therefore, ultrasound may be necessary in some cases if a breast abnormality is detected in a woman with fibrocystic breasts. According to the American Cancer Society, fibrocystic breasts affect at least half of all women at some point in their lives. Fibrocystic changes are the most common cause of breast lumps in women between 30 and 50 years old.  The important thing moving forward is to continue to do self breast examination - at about the same time each month - noting changes.  The more familiar you are with your breast tissue the better you will be able to detect changes.