Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Tired all the time

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Tired all the time

Hi  I am 37 years old and have had breast cancer 3 times the first to the left breast (lumpectomy Chemo A/C/F and radiation) The second was a recurrence on my sturnum (left chest wall resection W/ no other treatment) Then cancer in the right breast (lumpectomy Chemo C/M/F and radiation) This all has happened within five years I was 32 when first diagnosed. My problem is I am so tired all the time very little to no energy.It has been a over a year since my last treatments and two years from my last surgery.Is this normal and if so is there any thing that I can do to boost my energy.  Pat
Dear Pat, Your lack of energy and tiredness may have many causes, although it is not unusual for a person to experience fatigue for a long time after treatment for cancer.   A complete physical exam by your primary physician is recommended to evaluate if there may be an underlying medical cause of the fatigue which can be treated.  

For more information regarding cancer-related fatigue you can go to http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/  once you are there type fatigue in the search box, then click on the topic cancer and fatigue, there is a document entitled Cancer Related Fatigue which describes some information that you may find helpful.