Breast Cancer Community
Tram Flap Bulge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Tram Flap Bulge

It has been four years since my masectomey and tram flap reconstruction and I have a giant bulge on the right side of my tram flap operation.  It is the size of a babies head!!! The plastic surgeon initially was evasive but did say it could be corrected by reopening the area, which would entail slicing me hip to hip again. I cannot handle this big surgery again. Does anyone know if this can be taken care of lapriscopically?    Any other thoughts or ideas on this? I'm not in much pain exept for the occassional muscle cramping due to over exerting myself, but at times I find it hard to bend over  and to wear a regular swim suit.  I also think it is getting larger over time.                 Thanks to all !!!

It would be best to consult with your breast surgeon and get a clinical evaluation.

Have you seen your breast surgeon since you are having the symptoms? Have you noticed any other abnormal features?

You could take a second opinion of another plastic surgeon about this.

From what you describe, it seems invariable that a surgery would be required for correction of the defect.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Keep us posted.

Regards.
I too had tram flap surgery back in 2001. I have a bulge on my left side and experience pain when trying to sit up at times and also when I sneeze or cough violently. I agree with the feeling of a ball sometimes. I just assumed that this was a side effect of the surgery. I do really like my breast, I like the fact that I don't have an implant anymore. I was reading about the DIEP flap option, I wish it had been available when I did mine.
I had the surgary 13 months ago, aftewhich I suffered a blood clot in the lung and......the bulge!  It took approximately 8 months for me to realize that this lump wasn't going anywhere.  It appears to be getting larger every month.  My plastic surgeon said that he couldn't do anything about it.  I'm going to my other surgeon (the one that originally removed my breast) to get a second opinion.  I'm upset because this side effect was never discussed as a possible outcome of this surgery.  I was told I'd have a flat stomach only to look like I'm 5 months pregnant.  The stretching, pulling, and total discomfort is getting to be unnerving to say the least.  Now that I'm an official potential clotter, I am petrified about getting a corrective surgary.  This is so unfair.
A related discussion, Thank you!  was started.
Hello Miracle 1959,

I have not been on any sites to see if anyone was experiencing any of the symptoms i have been dealing with..... However now that I have looked it up i am very shocked and surprised to find so many woman with the same out come of this surgery!

I too have a very large ball like object under my right rib and extremely painful, also one one the left side as well. Where the incision was made from my first tram flap also is painful from time to time.
I had my first Tram-Flap surgery in 2008 and then in 2010 the wen't back in to correct the Hernias, and this was to fix all of the problems and the pain only to find out weeks later they blew out again. Before my surgery I was told about the Tam-Flap and that I would be getting a tummy Tuck as well!!

I was totally game, I thought to my self... after going through all of the Chemo and Radiation this was a nice final ending to a new life without the Cancer.

If I had known that I would have to en-dour all of this pain, then I would have never- ever gone through with the surgery, (Tram-Flap) that is.

I am a very strong person when it comes to managing pain.... but this one takes the cake!!! I have lost my Job, my marriage and my home due to all of this..... no joke. I couldn't do all of the fiscal and fun things we once did in our marriage and it took a big toll. It drove us apart. I can't swim, dance, or even take nice walks anymore like I used to. if I sneeze or cough my stomach gets the worst charlie horses in the world. It will double me over for quite some time and very painful I may add... scale of 1-10... a 10 plus.
My social life is  and has been non-existent for the last 4 years due to this surgery... as if the Chemo and Radiation didn't take it's toll on one's social life on it's own. I thought that getting the treatments were the hardest part to get through.... no-no-no.... as I can remember, that was tough but nothing like the pain and discomfort I have to live with on a daily basis now.

Have you found any new way's to get this injury fixed?? I have had this Tram done twice and don't think a third surgery will be any diffrent from the first two!!!!!

I look forward to hearing back from you,
Jackie J.